Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-30-2013, 10:34 PM   #1
Swordmaster
Classy Bartender

Awesome Moments in Cosplay (and at conventions)

Let's hear it people. What are the absolutely epic things you've seen/done at conventions (or other cosplay events)?

They can be big, or they can be small - epic is epic.

For a non-cosplay moment, I was riding to a con on a bus once and my friend saw this kid starring out the car window at us. So, we gave him the

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDPc4PkgU6E

That kid's face lit up like he'd seen the most awesome thing in the world. Y'know what? I don't think it was the most awesome thing in the world to see us giving him the manly salute; I think his reaction was the best thing out of that whole thing. That, ladies and gentleman, is a bro in-the-making.

Cosplay moments would have to be the second time I cosplayed - I went to the skit competition with two girls who were my senior by several years. I met some -really- awesome friends there while I was in the waiting room (we would then chill together for the rest of the weekend). But what followed after waiting to do the skit... the first skit I ever did. Y'know the rush you get sometimes when you're on stage? I got that. If I recall, I also stripped off my shirt for part of the skit and walked off stage in a towel (and pants). It felt pretty awesome, but embarrassing. I mean, I just did my first skit!

Okay, okay, it's not that epic - but it's still epic!

Let's hear what everyone else has to say about their crowning moments of awesome.

Last edited by Swordmaster : 07-31-2013 at 12:18 AM.
Swordmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-31-2013, 12:02 AM   #2
Yazoo_the_Kazoo
Allons-y!

I don't know how actually epic it was, but one time at San Japan, I had forgotten something important in my hotel room, which was about two blocks away from the actual con, so dressed as the Tenth Doctor, and just as the sun was setting, I ran all the way back to the hotel with my coat billowing behind me. Someone leaned out of their car and shouted (to my utter bemusement, still), "Run Harry Potter, run!" and shouted back, without so much as a backwards glance "I'M THE DOCTOR."

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space...I'm a LOONY for God's sake!"

-tumblr-
-DeviantART-
Yazoo_the_Kazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 12:12 AM   #3
Serenith
~Nyah Nyah~

Oh definitely this one time at Nekocon. I was in cat cosplay when this little girl came by. I don't have many openings to act like a cat since I'm always the only cat cosplayer. As she walked by I walked towards her and batted at her feet. She got such a thrill out of if. It wasn't like a human was playing with her, but in her mind a big cat! Her father came up to me the next day and told me how she was going on about me on the ride home that night. It gives me SUCH warm fuzzies!
I dunno.. maybe not epic to others.. but it was a huge deal for me.

Unread 07-31-2013, 12:12 AM   #4
dx7879
King of the Pirates!

Oh geez, the last con I went to was just full of epic moments! We had a pizza party in the hotel lobby area with about 13 people after I suggested it since I was planning on getting some pizza anyways. Funny since everybody there only knew one other person or knew nobody XD Lol what was suppose to be only like 5 people just somehow more than doubled!

Sometime at night during the same con, I wanted some ice cream from McDonald's, and my now new friends from the pizza party thing all came along (minus 2 people). We were all out of cosplay except for a few, but the walk back to the hotel from McDonald's was hilarious! For whatever reason we were singing Disney songs XD The Disney songs continued too as we headed to our room throughout the hallways and stairs of the hotel

There were a lot more, but the whole Saturday of that con was just the most epic thing for me this year so far

Youtube Page

Cosplays
Monkey D. Luffy (Film Z Battle Costume) - One Piece (2013)
Grumpy - The Dark Knight (2013)
Monkey D. Luffy (Alabasta) - One Piece (2012)
Monkey D. Luffy (2 Years Later) - One Piece (2012)
Monkey D. Luffy (Strong World) - One Piece (2011)
dx7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 12:15 AM   #5
Unaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazoo_the_Kazoo View Post
I don't know how actually epic it was, but one time at San Japan, I had forgotten something important in my hotel room, which was about two blocks away from the actual con, so dressed as the Tenth Doctor, and just as the sun was setting, I ran all the way back to the hotel with my coat billowing behind me. Someone leaned out of their car and shouted (to my utter bemusement, still), "Run Harry Potter, run!" and shouted back, without so much as a backwards glance "I'M THE DOCTOR."
Thats exactly what Tenant would have yelled.

Last edited by Unaki : 07-31-2013 at 12:19 AM.
Unaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 12:16 AM   #6
Yazoo_the_Kazoo
Allons-y!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unaki View Post
Sadly thats exactly what Tennant would have yelled.
There are many of the opinion we might secretly be the same person.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space...I'm a LOONY for God's sake!"

-tumblr-
-DeviantART-
Yazoo_the_Kazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 12:23 AM   #7
Swordmaster
Classy Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazoo_the_Kazoo View Post
This moment is made of win - you must have looked pretty epic during that trip back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenith View Post
Oh definitely this one time at Nekocon. I was in cat cosplay when this little girl came by. I don't have many openings to act like a cat since I'm always the only cat cosplayer. As she walked by I walked towards her and batted at her feet. She got such a thrill out of if. It wasn't like a human was playing with her, but in her mind a big cat! Her father came up to me the next day and told me how she was going on about me on the ride home that night. It gives me SUCH warm fuzzies!
I dunno.. maybe not epic to others.. but it was a huge deal for me.

Naw, no worries, epic probably isn't the right word for it. Awesome moments fits better. Let me tell you something, making a kid's day is a reaaaaalllllly awesome feeling. I give you props for that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dx7879 View Post
Oh geez, the last con I went to was just full of epic moments! We had a pizza party in the hotel lobby area with about 13 people after I suggested it since I was planning on getting some pizza anyways. Funny since everybody there only knew one other person or knew nobody XD Lol what was suppose to be only like 5 people just somehow more than doubled!

Sometime at night during the same con, I wanted some ice cream from McDonald's, and my now new friends from the pizza party thing all came along (minus 2 people). We were all out of cosplay except for a few, but the walk back to the hotel from McDonald's was hilarious! For whatever reason we were singing Disney songs XD The Disney songs continued too as we headed to our room throughout the hallways and stairs of the hotel

There were a lot more, but the whole Saturday of that con was just the most epic thing for me this year so far

Improv. meal parties are always awesome to do at cons. You really get some time to chill with people and get to know that. Also, I'd also like to note that Disney songs always make everything twice as awesome.
Unread 07-31-2013, 12:32 AM   #8
Amanita

I remember getting dressed up as a Jedi for a local fireworks display, and one father brought his son over to my friend and I, saying that his son had always wanted to meet a real live Jedi.
The look on that kid's face could best be described as "Gobsmacked", the little guy was just awestruck into silence.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 12:42 AM   #9
Marbleyes
Wishful Dreamer

I have about 2 epic moments in cosplay to share.

The first one would be when I cosplayed as Videl from Dragonball Z at Anime World Chicago. I freaking hated this cosplay and was only cosplaying it for a friend who paid for my ticket (He didn't go. He told me to check it out for him). I was basically miserable the whole day in it. I ended up going with a good girl friend of mine. As we're walking back to the parking lot, this random guy who was waiting in traffic rolls down his window and screams. "Videl!" before giving me a thumbs up and then driving off. That made my whole day and worth wearing the cosplay.

The second epic moment in cosplay was when I cosplayed as Ritsuka. My friends and I went to Ihop and I was still fully in cosplay. Cat ears and everything. This family was sitting a little bit down from us and they had a little girl in a high chair. She looked over at me and pointed. "Kitty!" the whole time I was sitting there. She wouldn't stop saying. "Kitty." it was the cutest thing. I waved at her a few times with a smile.

I probably have more but I can't remember.
Rei from Neon Genesis Evangelion [Complete]
Vanessa from The Little Mermaid [Complete]

Future Cons
C2E2 [Saturday Only]
Anime Central 2014 [Saturday Only]
Anime Midwest 2014
Marbleyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 12:52 AM   #10
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

I was driving in full Jack Sparrow costume and these teenagers pulled up next to me and started taking pics of me. Once I noticed this I gave them the little Jack Sparrow salute motion (we were stopped at a light so I was able to do this), and they started freaking out. I thought this was pretty cool since they weren't cosplayers, just normal people.

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
SweeneyTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 12:55 AM   #11
Unaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweeneyTodd View Post
I was driving in full Jack Sparrow costume and these teenagers pulled up next to me and started taking pics of me. Once I noticed this I gave them the little Jack Sparrow salute motion (we were stopped at a light so I was able to do this), and they started freaking out. I thought this was pretty cool since they weren't cosplayers, just normal people.
Random fact: Johnny Depp never travels without his Jack Sparrow costume because he likes to surprise kids in the hospital if he gets the chance.
Unaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 02:19 AM   #12
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

Unaki: lol I knew that fact already, it showed up on my FB newsfeed like 5 times in one day because the Jack Sparrows I am friends with kept posting about it. That's really awesome that he does that though! He's so wonderful to his fans. I'd love to meet him one day (when he's not dressed as Jack Sparrow though because otherwise I'll just assume he's a really good Jack Sparrow impersonator and I'll probably run away lol).

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account

Last edited by SweeneyTodd : 07-31-2013 at 02:21 AM.
SweeneyTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 03:09 AM   #13
poskii

At a convention there was a Mojo Jojo cosplayer fighting a Kratos cosplayer. The Kratos cosplayer one and out of the other guy's pocket fell out a penny. The Kratos picked it up and said "Ares! I have discovered a new weapon! 'Tis a penny!" I don't know about you guys, but I thought it was pretty epic/hilarious. cx Of course, they weren't literally fighting. c: Just all fun and games~
poskii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 04:07 AM   #14
foxy
Professional Catgirl :)

At ConnectiCon 2007 I cosplayed Belldandy one of the days, and had to walk a few blocks to get to the convention center. On the way I was stopped by a mom and her little girl, the mom was like "that's a great costume, can I get a photo?" at which point the girl actually looked at me and her face lit up and she exclaimed really loudly over and over while bouncing up and down on the spot, (in that kid way) "she's got wings!" like it was the most amazing thing ever.
Getting that sort of reaction from people nothing to do with the convention was very cool, and I'm pretty sure that made the girl's day

(Kind of balanced out by the fact the wings were killing my back by the end of the day, and I hurt both feet in the sandals I had!)
foxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 06:52 AM   #15
Swordmaster
Classy Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweeneyTodd View Post
That must've been awesome. I mean, really, if I got a personal salute from Jack... yes... just, yes. Lots of yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poskii View Post
At a convention there was a Mojo Jojo cosplayer fighting a Kratos cosplayer. The Kratos cosplayer one and out of the other guy's pocket fell out a penny. The Kratos picked it up and said "Ares! I have discovered a new weapon! 'Tis a penny!" I don't know about you guys, but I thought it was pretty epic/hilarious. cx Of course, they weren't literally fighting. c: Just all fun and games~

Naw, I know what you mean. It's pretty awesome how everyone at conventions are pretty chill and cool. Shifting from a dramatic moment to comedy awesomeness. Having more of these improv. things at conventions would be really amusing in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy View Post
At ConnectiCon 2007 I cosplayed Belldandy one of the days, and had to walk a few blocks to get to the convention center. On the way I was stopped by a mom and her little girl, the mom was like "that's a great costume, can I get a photo?" at which point the girl actually looked at me and her face lit up and she exclaimed really loudly over and over while bouncing up and down on the spot, (in that kid way) "she's got wings!" like it was the most amazing thing ever.
Getting that sort of reaction from people nothing to do with the convention was very cool, and I'm pretty sure that made the girl's day

(Kind of balanced out by the fact the wings were killing my back by the end of the day, and I hurt both feet in the sandals I had!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbleyes View Post
I have about 2 epic moments in cosplay to share.

The first one would be when I cosplayed as Videl from Dragonball Z at Anime World Chicago. I freaking hated this cosplay and was only cosplaying it for a friend who paid for my ticket (He didn't go. He told me to check it out for him). I was basically miserable the whole day in it. I ended up going with a good girl friend of mine. As we're walking back to the parking lot, this random guy who was waiting in traffic rolls down his window and screams. "Videl!" before giving me a thumbs up and then driving off. That made my whole day and worth wearing the cosplay.

The second epic moment in cosplay was when I cosplayed as Ritsuka. My friends and I went to Ihop and I was still fully in cosplay. Cat ears and everything. This family was sitting a little bit down from us and they had a little girl in a high chair. She looked over at me and pointed. "Kitty!" the whole time I was sitting there. She wouldn't stop saying. "Kitty." it was the cutest thing. I waved at her a few times with a smile.

I probably have more but I can't remember.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
I remember getting dressed up as a Jedi for a local fireworks display, and one father brought his son over to my friend and I, saying that his son had always wanted to meet a real live Jedi.
The look on that kid's face could best be described as "Gobsmacked", the little guy was just awestruck into silence.

I gotta say, I'm proud of you guys. Maybe I should've called this topic "How many smiles have you given the kids?" Seriously, you guys are awesome.