Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-31-2013, 07:22 AM   #16
Ends Beginning
Onward Comrades!

Oh ConnectiCon 2011 I was in partial Rayquaza we were outside claiming our spot for the fireworks and I had to use the little dragon's room. So I went back inside and used the rotating door much to my soon to be despair. I got in the door and just as the door reaches the spot where I am enclosed in a wedge of glass my tail gets jammed up and the door stops moving and I am trapped. The security guard on the other side was cracking up, but much to my relief a small child comes running to the door from behind and yells "Don't worry Rayquaza I'll save you!" and proceeds to stuff my tail through the crack eventually freeing me. I of course gave this epic little kid a big hug and finally made it to the bathroom.

Another epic moment was Anime Boston 2012. My group and I were competing in the Masquerade Skit portion with a Fullmetal Alchemist skit, no it didn't have short jokes or Edward. It was a recreation of Maes Hughes Funeral scene (check my signature you can see the video on youtube). We had Roy, Riza, Gracia, Elysia, and of course Maes. We had had some trouble with one of our group members bailing on us, but luckily the person who was a back up/extra was able to take the role as Roy no problem. Our little Elysia was so nervous, but she did great for her first time on stage. We ended up taking the "Emcee's Award" and got countless "You made me cry like a man baby" comments. It was pretty awesome to have such a great group pull together and pull something like this off.

Oh Captain, My Captain...RIP RW 8/11/14

2014 Convention Schedule-
ConnectiCon -Hartford CT July 11-13
Another Anime Con - Manchester NH October 17-19

~Cosplay 2014 Progress~
Jean!WoC -Attack on Titan 100% done!
Washu Hakubi - Tenchi Muyo! 100% done!
Motoko Kusanagi - GitS 0% (planning stages)
Ends Beginning is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-31-2013, 07:42 AM   #17
StarkRed26

^^ Really awesome thread! Loving all the joy cosplaying brings to children, too.

To me, this was about as epic as I think I could handle. Went to Wizard World in Philly in my angel cosplay and was having a somewhat miserable time. Had the worst stomach pains ever that literally had me stopping every few steps and doubling over in pain. After having something to eat they somewhat went away but I was still pretty upset (nobody could tell of course because I had that helmet on and nobody could see my face).

So I'm walking towards the back of the panel hall room to go get changed and I hear someone say 'Oh hell thats amazing!'. I thought it was for someone else so I kept walking and next thing I know someone's tapping me on my shoulder. I turn around to tell them I'm sorry but I need to go and stop like mid sentence...

James FRIGGIN Marsters is standing like 2 feet from me! 0_0

And the whole time I'm just, as Amanita put it perfectly, gobsmacked. He's saying how he loves the costume and how long did it take to make and whats it from and meanwhile some other guy with a security lanyard keeps telling him to get back behind his autograph table to which Marsters tells the guy to grab his camera. He turns to me and asks if he could get a picture and somehow my head manages to nod even though I'm still in utter shock and going 'is this happening?'

He gets his picture and shakes my hand and keeps saying he really loves the costume at which point my dad finally rejoins me and, to utterly shock whatever is left out of me, recognizes who Marsters is. "Oh, you're the vampire guy from Buffy aren't you? My daughter loves that show. We got her the box set of that and Angel for her birthday."

And Marsters has this AH-MAZING smile on his face, like he was really listening and was really interested and humbled at the same time. He even shook my dad's hand before he told us to hold on a minute and then went back to his booth, grabbed something off it and came back to us. Then proceeded to autograph a picture of himself and hand it my dad, telling him (and I quote) "I usually have to charge you for this but in this case meeting you two is payment enough." Then he shakes both our hands again, says he can't wait to see my next costume, and heads back to his table.

And this is dad: ^_^ "Well, he seemed like a nice guy, didn't he hon?"
And this is me: *well past the point of gobsmacked, going into this-has-to-be-a-dream denial* "That was...he was...he just..."
And this is dad: "Let's go get some lunch. I'm starving."

-_- My dad is like the definition of how to interact with a celebrity. Cool and collected. But I thank him almost every day for being able to have an actual conversation when I could not And for carrying around James Marster's autograph the rest of the convention since after that I got such a boost of happiness that we stayed another 2 hours. ^_^

I now have Marsters autograph framed and right by my work table so everytime I get discouraged or frustrated, I just think of that time and it makes everything so much better He really was a great guy <3
StarkRed26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 12:49 PM   #18
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

I actually have a photo of my epic cosplay moment here:

This shot made my whole convention experience at Anime Expo this year.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt: "Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort."

Conventions Attending:
2015 Anime LA
2015 Anime Expo

Costumes:
Jedi Link 1.0 Complete
Jedi Link 2.0 Complete
Hero's Shade: base patterns done. 5% complete.
Future Cosplay plans:
Jedi Link 3.0
Mewtwo
JediofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 01:00 PM   #19
Swordmaster
Classy Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediofTime View Post
I actually have a photo of my epic cosplay moment here:

This shot made my whole convention experience at Anime Expo this year.

I need to say this... as a fan of Manondorf, a man among men, I must say that -this- IS EPIC. A manly tear would be shed for this moment of awesomeness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ends Beginning View Post
Oh ConnectiCon 2011 I was in partial Rayquaza we were outside claiming our spot for the fireworks and I had to use the little dragon's room. So I went back inside and used the rotating door much to my soon to be despair. I got in the door and just as the door reaches the spot where I am enclosed in a wedge of glass my tail gets jammed up and the door stops moving and I am trapped. The security guard on the other side was cracking up, but much to my relief a small child comes running to the door from behind and yells "Don't worry Rayquaza I'll save you!" and proceeds to stuff my tail through the crack eventually freeing me. I of course gave this epic little kid a big hug and finally made it to the bathroom.

Another epic moment was Anime Boston 2012. My group and I were competing in the Masquerade Skit portion with a Fullmetal Alchemist skit, no it didn't have short jokes or Edward. It was a recreation of Maes Hughes Funeral scene (check my signature you can see the video on youtube). We had Roy, Riza, Gracia, Elysia, and of course Maes. We had had some trouble with one of our group members bailing on us, but luckily the person who was a back up/extra was able to take the role as Roy no problem. Our little Elysia was so nervous, but she did great for her first time on stage. We ended up taking the "Emcee's Award" and got countless "You made me cry like a man baby" comments. It was pretty awesome to have such a great group pull together and pull something like this off.

That's so adorkably awesome. I swear, as cosplayers, I think we get more of a kick out of the little kids being little kids than they do out of us cosplaying. Also, yeah, many feels were had with the death of Hughes. Seriously, Hughes was awesome. I'd have liked to see that skit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarkRed26 View Post
^^ Really awesome thread! Loving all the joy cosplaying brings to children, too.

To me, this was about as epic as I think I could handle. Went to Wizard World in Philly in my angel cosplay and was having a somewhat miserable time. Had the worst stomach pains ever that literally had me stopping every few steps and doubling over in pain. After having something to eat they somewhat went away but I was still pretty upset (nobody could tell of course because I had that helmet on and nobody could see my face).

So I'm walking towards the back of the panel hall room to go get changed and I hear someone say 'Oh hell thats amazing!'. I thought it was for someone else so I kept walking and next thing I know someone's tapping me on my shoulder. I turn around to tell them I'm sorry but I need to go and stop like mid sentence...

James FRIGGIN Marsters is standing like 2 feet from me! 0_0

And the whole time I'm just, as Amanita put it perfectly, gobsmacked. He's saying how he loves the costume and how long did it take to make and whats it from and meanwhile some other guy with a security lanyard keeps telling him to get back behind his autograph table to which Marsters tells the guy to grab his camera. He turns to me and asks if he could get a picture and somehow my head manages to nod even though I'm still in utter shock and going 'is this happening?'

He gets his picture and shakes my hand and keeps saying he really loves the costume at which point my dad finally rejoins me and, to utterly shock whatever is left out of me, recognizes who Marsters is. "Oh, you're the vampire guy from Buffy aren't you? My daughter loves that show. We got her the box set of that and Angel for her birthday."

And Marsters has this AH-MAZING smile on his face, like he was really listening and was really interested and humbled at the same time. He even shook my dad's hand before he told us to hold on a minute and then went back to his booth, grabbed something off it and came back to us. Then proceeded to autograph a picture of himself and hand it my dad, telling him (and I quote) "I usually have to charge you for this but in this case meeting you two is payment enough." Then he shakes both our hands again, says he can't wait to see my next costume, and heads back to his table.

And this is dad: ^_^ "Well, he seemed like a nice guy, didn't he hon?"
And this is me: *well past the point of gobsmacked, going into this-has-to-be-a-dream denial* "That was...he was...he just..."
And this is dad: "Let's go get some lunch. I'm starving."

-_- My dad is like the definition of how to interact with a celebrity. Cool and collected. But I thank him almost every day for being able to have an actual conversation when I could not And for carrying around James Marster's autograph the rest of the convention since after that I got such a boost of happiness that we stayed another 2 hours. ^_^

I now have Marsters autograph framed and right by my work table so everytime I get discouraged or frustrated, I just think of that time and it makes everything so much better He really was a great guy <3

Holy beans. Just... holy... beans... I'm not even going to ask how, but this is awesome. Dude's gotta be a really good guy. He also gets a major plus from me - heck, he brushed off security and scheduled stuff to catch up to you and get a photo. Dude runs at his own pace - I like that. THEN, you got his autograph. I mean, woah. It's not like one of those autographs he's supposed to do, though. This was -his- autograph. -His- seal of approval. Maaaaaan, that's pretty awesome.
Swordmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 01:45 PM   #20
StarkRed26

o_o That Ganondorf costume is so awesome! *jealous* How come I never see any Ganondorf cosplays?? I always see either Link, Zelda, or Midna (not that I'm complaining but I wanna take a picture with Ganny. ^^ Its a weird dream I have)

Quote:
Holy beans. Just... holy... beans... I'm not even going to ask how, but this is awesome. Dude's gotta be a really good guy. He also gets a major plus from me - heck, he brushed off security and scheduled stuff to catch up to you and get a photo. Dude runs at his own pace - I like that. THEN, you got his autograph. I mean, woah. It's not like one of those autographs he's supposed to do, though. This was -his- autograph. -His- seal of approval. Maaaaaan, that's pretty awesome.
^^ And you know, so many celebrities I see at these conventions (won't mention any names) they either look so miserable or snobby. one in particular said he could only sit for 10 minutes 'intervals' and that he had to quote 'remove himself from the oppresive atmosphere' o_0

But just to see how down to earth and friendly Marsters was just made my day You don't get many celebrities breaking formation to come and talk with 'the little people'.

Ah, so to Miss KettleMixBrina, here he is. Isn't he lovely? And sorry I had to black out my name. Have to keep up my secret identity

http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/Ch...02758800861316

Last edited by StarkRed26 : 07-31-2013 at 01:48 PM. Reason: link didnt work
StarkRed26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 01:55 PM   #21
Swordmaster
Classy Bartender

Oppressive atmosphere, lol. Well, most of the celebs are just doing their jobs. I can't really blame them for being a little out-of-touch with their fanbase. But, the celebs that are really in touch with the little people - they're seriously awesome. Diesel for one. Depp for another. Marsters in your case. It's cool to see people like that taking a step back to be awesome.
Unread 07-31-2013, 02:17 PM   #22
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordmaster View Post
I need to say this... as a fan of Manondorf, a man among men, I must say that -this- IS EPIC. A manly tear would be shed for this moment of awesomeness.
Oh and to make to photo even more awesome is that I was doing a mashup homage to Anakin bowing before Palpatine/Darth Sidous Star Wars Episode 3 Revenge of the Sith. Yes I did I Jedi Link costume and posed like I was turning to the dark side with Ganondorf.

P.S. You check out that Ganondorf's work here.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt: "Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort."

Conventions Attending:
2015 Anime LA
2015 Anime Expo

Costumes:
Jedi Link 1.0 Complete
Jedi Link 2.0 Complete
Future Cosplay plans:
Jedi Link 3.0
Mewtwo
Unread 07-31-2013, 02:23 PM   #23
Yazoo_the_Kazoo
Allons-y!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordmaster View Post
Oppressive atmosphere, lol. Well, most of the celebs are just doing their jobs. I can't really blame them for being a little out-of-touch with their fanbase. But, the celebs that are really in touch with the little people - they're seriously awesome. Diesel for one. Depp for another. Marsters in your case. It's cool to see people like that taking a step back to be awesome.
Mark Sheppard is a good example too, and one I actually have an epic moment with, come to think of it. Mark was a guest at Texas Comicon in San Antonio in 2012. Now, let me tell you something about this con. It is rinky dink, I mean like ridiculously small. There were many jokes about Nazi gold being involved when they announced they were having Mark Sheppard and Jim Beaver as guests in 2012 (and Cary Elwes too, come to think of it), because it literally takes place in a one room warehouse in San Antonio that typically hosts gun shows. The con is poorly air conditioned, in a questionable neighborhood, and more than a little bit cheesy. Some celebrities would see this as an excuse to have an attitude of some sort, but Mark was enjoying every moment. He would talk to fans for extended periods of time if his table wasn't drawing a line (my friends talked to him for over half an hour at one point), he would compliment costumes sincerely, make jokes in character depending on your costume (he called me a baby in a trench coat when I was in my Castiel costume, unprompted. That's a line said by a completely different character, in an episode he's not in. There are some actors who don't even watch the show they act in, or remember their own lines after the fact. Sheppard fanboys over his own shows, it's so refreshing). He even took a picture with my friend Cris in her Bobby Singer costume kissing her, let Jim Beaver tweet it, and then continued to refer to Cris as "my boyfriend" for the rest of the con.

Now, the moment that involved me happened in his panel. I was actually in my Dean Winchester costume, but he was talking about his role in Doctor Who. I raised my hand to ask him if he watched the show as a kid and if it had any part in why he became an actor (the answer is yes), but before I could even get a word out of my mouth he stopped me, squinted his eyes for a moment and said "Has anyone ever told you that you look a lot like David Tennant?" right after he'd been talking about how he knows David and how sweet he is. I think I turned as pink as a flamingo. People tell me that with a bit of frequency, but Mark Freaking Sheppard! And totally unsolicited, while I was wearing a completely different costume. It made my weekend.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space...I'm a LOONY for God's sake!"

-tumblr-
-DeviantART-
Yazoo_the_Kazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 02:54 PM   #24
Swordmaster
Classy Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediofTime View Post
Oh and to make to photo even more awesome is that I was doing a mashup homage to Anakin bowing before Palpatine/Darth Sidous Star Wars Episode 3 Revenge of the Sith. Yes I did I Jedi Link costume and posed like I was turning to the dark side with Ganondorf.

P.S. You check out that Ganondorf's work here.

Mmmm, I noticed. Link succumbed to the manly awesomeness that is Ganondorf. Yeeeeessss. Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazoo_the_Kazoo View Post
Mark Sheppard is a good example too, and one I actually have an epic moment with, come to think of it. Mark was a guest at Texas Comicon in San Antonio in 2012. Now, let me tell you something about this con. It is rinky dink, I mean like ridiculously small. There were many jokes about Nazi gold being involved when they announced they were having Mark Sheppard and Jim Beaver as guests in 2012 (and Cary Elwes too, come to think of it), because it literally takes place in a one room warehouse in San Antonio that typically hosts gun shows. The con is poorly air conditioned, in a questionable neighborhood, and more than a little bit cheesy. Some celebrities would see this as an excuse to have an attitude of some sort, but Mark was enjoying every moment. He would talk to fans for extended periods of time if his table wasn't drawing a line (my friends talked to him for over half an hour at one point), he would compliment costumes sincerely, make jokes in character depending on your costume (he called me a baby in a trench coat when I was in my Castiel costume, unprompted. That's a line said by a completely different character, in an episode he's not in. There are some actors who don't even watch the show they act in, or remember their own lines after the fact. Sheppard fanboys over his own shows, it's so refreshing). He even took a picture with my friend Cris in her Bobby Singer costume kissing her, let Jim Beaver tweet it, and then continued to refer to Cris as "my boyfriend" for the rest of the con.

Now, the moment that involved me happened in his panel. I was actually in my Dean Winchester costume, but he was talking about his role in Doctor Who. I raised my hand to ask him if he watched the show as a kid and if it had any part in why he became an actor (the answer is yes), but before I could even get a word out of my mouth he stopped me, squinted his eyes for a moment and said "Has anyone ever told you that you look a lot like David Tennant?" right after he'd been talking about how he knows David and how sweet he is. I think I turned as pink as a flamingo. People tell me that with a bit of frequency, but Mark Freaking Sheppard! And totally unsolicited, while I was wearing a completely different costume. It made my weekend.
That's pretty downright cool of him. Geeze, why haven't I come across many awesome celebs in cons?
Unread 07-31-2013, 03:08 PM   #25
Slapthefatcat
The man with the guns.

Dude. All these are freaking amazing, awesome stories! I don't have any stories like that yet... YET.
Zoro - One Piece (Eventually)
Ippo - Hajime no Ippo (Eventually)
Hody - One Piece (Eventually)
Free - Soul Eater (Otakon 2013, Completed)
Goku - Dragon Ball Z (Otakon 2014, Completed)

My Facebook cosplay group - Southern Maryland Cosplay (Anyone can join)
Slapthefatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 03:30 PM   #26
chibierwin
Tall Little Freak

I got a few~

First time I ever cosplayed was to AUSA 2010 and I was Mokona from CLAMP media. Within minutes of walking out of registration, My friend and I that were dressed as the Mokonas ran straight into Fai and Princess Tomoyo from Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles. Little to say I was in cosplay heaven. We had a totally in character exchange and got a ton of pics. We even got a little pic circle going. I was walking on air for the rest of the con

Second one was at AUSA 2012 on Friday night. I changed out of Gokudera and into High Five Ghost for the rest of the night. Going down the escalator I had a Horuss from Homestuck ask me if I was High Five Ghost and I said yes. I got high fives from everyone around me and ran into a Mordecai downstairs. Pics ensued. The rest of the night I kept running into people who wanted high fives and even got a whole escalator of high fives while heading upstairs. What really made my night is when I got pulled into a dance circle by a Roxy and everyone started to cheer. REALLY great con :3
In Progress: Syaoran: Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles/ Yusuke Urameshi (Dark Tournament): Yu Yu Hakusho/ Yoh (Revamp): Shaman King/ Jenos Hazard: Black Cat/ Teito Klein (Mourning Robes): 07-Ghost/ Kaito Sinbad: KKJ
chibierwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 04:08 PM   #27
AngelStarAvalon
Lacus Clyne

Dante Basco came to AE this year and during his panel someone asked him a question about Rufio and just as he was about to answer this amazing Rufio cosplayer walked into the room. Dante was very excited to see him and commented how he was cosplaying Rufio right because he was showing off his midriff. Then later that day while I was in line to get Dante's autograph A zuko cosplayer ahead of me asked Dante to sign the seat of her pants everyone was laughing so hard.

"If you have the power to make a differance why not use it?" ~ Mwu La Fllaga
AngelStarAvalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 04:21 PM   #28
LluviaSarcasm
Tall, Dark and Bishoujo

Ohh, I had one a few week ago!
I was at a small fan meet up in my Takao cosplay and towards the evening two young women from Australia, who were in Berlin for the weekend on a Europe tour, coincidentially walked by.
One of them came up to me ans immediately recognized my cosplay, even though it's such a casual and unknown version.
Turns out she's also a cosplayer and really likes the character and Kuroko no Basuke as well, so we fangirled together for a while.
She said it was the highlight if her Germany trip and we exchanged dA- and tumblrs, and she's even such an awesome cosplayer! ;w;

...Another one was during my Free! Rin x Haruka-shooting.
We were standing in a fountain, romantically posing and some random people started cheering and wooping at us.
(I swear one dude was taking pictures and I was like ''The fountain or us?'')
In progress:
| Homura Akemi - 80%| Rin Matsuoka - 75%|
| Yuu Kashima - 70%| Nagito Komaeda - 55%|
| Seishuu Handa - 50%| Uta - 40%|
~ ♥ ~
| Tumblr | deviantART | Cosplay plans | WorldCosplay | Cure |
LluviaSarcasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 04:46 PM   #29
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

The other epic moment I had just recently was somebody wanted to take a photo with me when I was out of costume. He was wearing the same geeky T-Shirt as I was and wanted a photo with me as a result. I have never had someone ask me for a picture outside of Costume at a convention where I cosplayed before.

Conventions Attending:
2015 Anime LA
2015 Anime Expo

Costumes:
Jedi Link 1.0 Complete
Jedi Link 2.0 Complete
Future Cosplay plans:
Jedi Link 3.0
Mewtwo

Last edited by JediofTime : 07-31-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Unread 07-31-2013, 04:57 PM   #30
Six12 Media

I still laugh every time I look at this series of photos I shot with a couple of Speeder Bike Troopers at AX:

The people in the minivan loved it and played along.

Six12 Media is offline   Reply With Quote