Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 07-31-2013, 02:37 AM   #1
avant_yard

Why cosplay?

I'm only just getting into cosplay mostly because I was influenced by my little sister. I've never seen a person as shy as she is completely transform into a confident and outgoing person the moment she slipped into her costume. We're planning my first cosplay together...so excited!

So I was wondering, what about cosplay appeals to you most?

It's such a high-commitment hobby and usually pretty expensive when you add costume, event tickets, sometimes airfare and hotel. I'm doing it because it's so creative and I honestly think it's good for your emotional health! I think it's such a specific and powerful form of expression. And I'll admit, there's also the added benefit of bonding time with my sis.

What does cosplay do for you that nothing else can?
avant_yard is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-31-2013, 02:51 AM   #2
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

I think my main reason is the same as most people..I either just really like the character, or I have a lot of similarities in things (as in: personality, the kinda of things the character likes, etc.). The other reason is I might see an outfit I end up thinking is cute/awesome/interesting and want to make it, so I watch/play/read what it's from so I can properly know the character.

For the second question....It helps me be more outgoing.
-Stocking (Panty & Stocking)
-Squall Leonhart (Dissidia: Final Fantasy)
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Re/Black ver)
Jei-Cos is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 05:51 AM   #3
SuzuStarlight
Blade Brave

I've loved acting and dressing up ever since I was a child, I did it whenever I could, so it was only natural for me to become interested in cosplay later on, though I never got my chance to try until 2010.

What I also really like about it is the creativity and the aspect of crafting everything yourself. Sewing skills also come in handy outside of cosplay, so I'd say it's a pretty useful hobby to have.

And also, the confidence thing works with me too. I'm usually pretty shy around strangers, I have a hard time saying anything if I don't know the people around me. But in Cosplay, it's so easy to get in touch and talk to people and it's also much easier to find people who like the same stuff as you do. It's like a live action Internet forum or something, haha

~Up Next~
Sailor Moon ~Classic Musical Fuku~ (Sera Myu)
Joyful Knight Candelira ~Human form~ (Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger)
Maybe: Eri ~Cheerleader Version~ (Tensou Sentai Goseiger)
SuzuStarlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 06:11 AM   #4
Kazuto Kirigaya
Hero Of Time

The fact that I can take a character who I truly connect with, and just dress and act like them for as long as I want. That's what appeals to me. And I actually learned many things just from cosplaying. What cosplay has done for me, that nothing else could have done, was unleash this creative spirit and passion I never knew I had. Before, I didn't even know I had the talent to sculpt, or sew, or hot glue the crap out of stuff lol. It basically allowed me to express myself through Anime/Game characters I love. It's expensive and time consuming, but it's worth it when I see what I've created in the process, and knowing that I can always improve.
(Too much? xD)

- Aladdin - Magi The Labyrinth of Magic - 20%
- Asuna Yuuki - Sword Art Online - 70%
- Kagami Taiga - 99%
- Rin Okumura - Blue Exorcist - 100%
- Judal - Magi The Labyrinth of Magic - 100%
- Makoto - Free! Iwatobi Swim Club - 10%
- Eren Jaeger - Attack on Titan 100%

Cons:
AM2
Anime Expo 2014
Wondercon
Anime LA
Yaoi con
Kazuto Kirigaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 09:02 AM   #5
Randommerade
Princess of Heart

Mostly because of my insecurities. I'm a normally shy, quiet person. Even around my friends I don't talk much. But when I'm in cosplay, I'm someone else, and nobody knows me. I instantly become talkative and more social. I love that feeling, but I'm too shy to express it as my "normal" self, so I chose cosplay
Randommerade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 12:36 PM   #6
TheRealZain

Creating that of the 2D world in 3D, I guess, would be why I want to get into it.

What with watching and playing so many things it's only natural, unless you're a stick in the mud, to want some of the fiction to become a reality.
TheRealZain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 12:57 PM   #7
~Alandra~
Big Sister

I used to hate it at first... I won't lie. But the more research I did into it the more I realized how much of a creative outlet it really was. It keeps me happy, focused and most of all social lol. Never had much of a social life until I started cosplaying. I wanted to learn and grow, learn how to make things with new materials.. make new friends. That yearning to be that character.. just for a day drew me most of all

More of my works..
https://www.facebook.com/AlandraCosplay
http://www.youtube.com/user/GeekyStrawberry
~Alandra~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 01:08 PM   #8
Kelley
Devil of Details

I like the problem-solving challenge of creating replicas. Mostly, I like hanging around here and solving all kinds of weird problems that I wouldn't encounter on my own.

It gives me an excuse to watch The X Files for eight hours in a row.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 04:31 PM   #9
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

I'm like Kelley, I like the challenge and the crafting parts best. Cosplay is a goddamn FOUNTAIN of unforeseen challenges. The cameraderie, the chance to perform in public to a basically welcoming audience, and the positive attention...these are also super-awesome.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 04:23 AM   #10
ghosgreen

Admittedly for me it's changed over the years from when I first started to now but I think it's pretty safe to say I like building things. I like building things and like Kelley said the problem solving that goes into building these props and costumes. I always fun to ask someone how they did it or watching them make it and think "Damn that is freakin brilliant!". The other reason is being social. Before I had only a few friends that I only get to see once in a while. Now in cosplaying I have a lot of friends that enjoy the same hobby as I do. We help each other build our projects, we do events together and get into other stupid shenanigans it's always a blast. Oh oh and of course being able to learn the different skill sets. When i started I didn't know how to do anything. Now I know how to make cool pieces of armor and props and now getting in molding stuff now. Honestly sometimes I can't believe how where I am now and how much things have changed since I started this hobby.
ghosgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 04:33 AM   #11
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

I do it because it gives me an excuse to spend ridiculous amounts of money gathering a replica costume that I otherwise would probably not be able to acquire. lol. I actually started in the cosplay world because I was really determined to get an accurate costume for Sweeney Todd done and I didn't have a reasonable explanation for why I wanted to do this to present to my parents. And cosplay and convention going gave me a good reason. It sounds stupid and pretty shallow, but that's honestly what really got me into this hobby.
But what keeps me in the hobby comes more from the social aspect. I love making new friends and I like talking to people (even though I am a pretty awkward person...lol). So I stay in the hobby because of all the awesome people that I have met through it and all the fun times that I have had at conventions. Seriously, the convention environment is just the best! I always have tons of fun at the cons I go to, it's unlike anything else I have experienced. I, unlike most people, don't go to cons because of the fandoms or the anime (I am actually entirely clueless about most animes, I don't even watch anime), I go for the social experience. I love hanging out with new people and seeing all the other cosplayers and people-watching (as creepy as that may seem, I promise it's not in a creepy way). Am I the only person who does this? lol

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
SweeneyTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 04:57 AM   #12
avant_yard

I totally see the social aspect like you guys have said. I don't think there are many outlets like cosplay conventions where everybody has a legitimate excuse to walk up to another person and say, "Wow, you look awesome!" Everyone I walked up to at cons was super friendly!

SweeneyTodd, I don't think the people-watching is creepy at all. lol Like Mangochutney said, the audience is welcoming - so the stage is set up to make it safe for cosplayers to go all out. That's what I love about this space, just from the little I know since I literally just got into it.

I'm planning my first cosplay and as I try to select a character, I seem to be veering towards those who possess qualities that I absolutely relate to but don't get the chance to express in daily life. I like to think of myself as heroic but there aren't too many avenues in normal life where I can show that, to myself and others. Nor am I physically built for any real acts of heroism! lol

I think cosplay is an opportunity - or excuse, if you will - to show ourselves loudly, proudly and safely (as in safe from judgment). And the excuse to make and wear in PUBLIC a fantastic outfit is definitely appealing to me. Regular trendy clothes are nice but I like to seek out defensible reasons to go over the top.
avant_yard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 05:15 AM   #13
dvt

Because I love dressing up!
dvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 05:49 AM   #14
Blair M.Lozano

I love cosplay because i wants to express my adoration to my favorite fictional character and I also enjoy the creative process that cosplaying can bring.
Unread 08-01-2013, 11:23 AM   #15
konekoanni

There are a lot of things that draw me to cosplay, but probably the strongest are the craftsmanship/design elements, and affection for a particular character.

I just love being able to translate a 2D character to a 3D costume--the challenges and rewards that go along with that process are incredibly satisfying, and you get to see the character come alive in a way that isn't possible when they're just on the screen. The amount of detail and careful craftsmanship that can go into each cosplay is a testament to the creator and their dedication to the hobby. I can take pride in my costume work and enjoy the attention because I know I worked hard for it.

I personally choose to cosplay characters that resonate with me in some way, whether that is attitude/personality, body type, or the clothing itself. I also only choose one or two new cosplays each year, so I have the time and money to dedicate on really getting into their skin as the character.

Plus, dressing up is really fun.

Kiryuin Satsuki [Kill la Kill] 100% - AX 2014
Classic Sailor Uranus [Sailor Moon S] 100% - AX 2014
Nuriko [Fushigi Yuugi] 35% - AX 2014
Super Sailor Uranus [Sailor Moon SuperS] 60% - PMX 2014

ACP | blog | facebook | deviantART | tumblr | worldcosplay
konekoanni is offline   Reply With Quote