Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 08-01-2013, 08:58 AM   #1
Hwari

Anyone here hide their cosplaying?

It's a really, really weird sentiment I'm sure most people won't have (especially most of my friends that cosplay don't at least), but I tend to hide the fact that I cosplay at one or two cons per year from all of my non-cosplaying friends and family.

It's come to a point where I have two groups of friends (those who cosplay and those who don't + my family), and sometimes it almost feels like I'm leading a double life. My cosplaying friends encourage me to "come out" about it, but I'm always feeling like I'm in a certain position where doing so would damage the perception of who I am for those that knew me before I started (and especially in the office I work at). I know (and have been reminded over and over) that if that's the case then it's a problem that lies with my company more than myself, but I don't think I'm at the point where I'm willing to risk throwing away the many things I've made in my life for cosplaying.

I can go a bit farther to say that I hide my love for gaming/anime/nerdy things in general with a specific group of connections that I have, and that I'm afraid that revealing this to them would damage our relationship and hurt me in the future.

It would certainly be easier if I could just drop it, but I guess I'm not at that point either!

Does anybody else have any similar stories?
NYCC2012
Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney 5)
AB2013
NYCC2013
Black Egret (Skullgirls) *planned*

Last edited by Hwari : 08-01-2013 at 07:28 PM. Reason: grammar
Hwari is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-01-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

I tried, but word gets around at my school. Just a few days ago a friend that I've never told about my cosplaying asked if I was working on a costume >.> I don't really care anymore if people know, though. Haters gonna hate.
------------------
Gryffindor and proud!!!
------------------
Fabulousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #3
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

I am embarrassed to talk about it in public and try to hide it yet I still share it on the internet. Probably that is because I have far more interests then the typical cosplayer. Not only do I cosplay and like art, I also have an interest in science, history, social sciences, politics, world events and public service.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt: "Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort."

Conventions Attending:
2015 Anime LA
2015 Anime Expo

Costumes:
Jedi Link 1.0 Complete
Jedi Link 2.0 Complete
Hero's Shade: base patterns done. 5% complete.
Future Cosplay plans:
Jedi Link 3.0
Mewtwo
JediofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #4
Ilafatyu
That guy

I'll be attempting to keep it on the DL when I live with my uncle. Who knows how long that will last, right?

Right now, I don't keep cosplay a secret from anyone, but I don't talk about my convention stories at work. A couple of my cousins are casual cosplayers, and my mother helps me with cosplays in return for me helping her with ren faire stuff. I don't have to deal with high school stuff anymore, so that makes things easy.

I don't know, should it be considered a dark secret? I've always viewed 'coming out' with a bit of skepticism, whether it's about cosplay or crossplay or being gay or whatever. Why inform everyone if they probably won't care anyway?

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Soren (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) - 0%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 12:37 PM   #5
AnimeLuxray25
The Gijinka Girl

I hide it from people at school but I wouldn't care if anyone found it, unless they were making fun of me for it. Only a few people in my family besides my parents and siblings know but they don't seem to care much.

~ don't judge other cosplayers, because in the end we all look silly wearing wig caps :3 ~

2014 Cosplay(s): Shinx Gijinka (Shiny Version) [Pokémon] - 100%

2014 Conventions: | KnightroKon | Mythicon | Holiday Matsuri |

deviantART: AnimeLuxray25
AnimeLuxray25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #6
ChibiDannimon

I do. My parents dont even like the fact that I have anime posters in my room and on my phone.

In fact I was nearly thrown out of the house because I bought a bunch of manga during a sale at a book store.

2014 Cosplays

Black Widow - The Avengers (Comic Book Version)
Sailor Galaxia - Sailor Stars
Rosa/Mei - Pokemon Black and White 2
Finn - Adventure Time
Ben Tennyson - Ben 10 Omniverse
Takato - Digimon 03
Rei Ryugazaki - Free!
ChibiDannimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 02:29 PM   #7
MeiChama
Variable Trigger!

Not so much anymore. Now when it's the first day of class and we're introducing ourselves and we say one thing we do, I always say I cosplay. Although when I'm outside of the class and I'm talking with someone I don't know, I won't really say it unless they're into it as well. So in a way I still hide it somewhat.

Cons Attending
[Anime Expo]

dA
Facebook
Instagram
MeiChama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #8
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

Nope. Never tried to hide it. It's too hard to hide for me because something always seems to come up in conversation that then leads to me talking about the fact that I run around dressed as Jack Sparrow in my free time lol. I wouldn't suggest hiding it from your friends and family, but maybe it would be best to keep cosplay out of the work place and away from coworkers just because you need to maintain a certain professional image. Unless of course your work has dress up day on Halloween or whatever (I know some work places do this), then that would be a good time to let people at work know that you cosplay.

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
SweeneyTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 03:43 PM   #9
violetlights
Pokemon Master

Heh. I do.

My family is visiting on the same week of Otakon and I've already asked my parents to tell them that I'm visiting friends in Baltimore instead of dressing up as anime characters and geeking out all weekend.

I get made fun of enough by my brother for cosplaying, watching anime, playing video games, and being a "nerd". I guess I'm just worried that because my family is so conservative they won't understand and they'll judge me and make fun of me too.

I do tell a lot of my close friends about it, so I really only hide it around my family and people I don't know that well.

~Katsucon 2015 Lineup~
UNDECIDED (Possibly: Houndoom Gijinka, Mega Audino Gijinka, Vaporeon Gijinka, Pyrrha Nikos, Kou Matsuoka, Agńes Oblige)
violetlights is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #10
adamphillip
Cosplay radio host and DJ

I am the complete opposite of hiding, I talk to anyone about it.

Yes I am an attention seeker so what?
adamphillip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #11
Naiagu
That one cosplayer

Kind of????

I didn't start cosplaying until I left for college. My parents nor any of my siblings know of my hobbies. They are very traditional Mexicans and already make fun of me for liking Kpop and Jpop. I don't feel like letting them judge my hobbies. I do love and respect my family but they tend to take things out of the norm as something that should be mocked. I say Kind of because I don't live with my parents anymore, nor have I lived with them the entire part of my cosplay life. Everyone near me now knows I cosplay, my friends, my boss, my co-workers and I'm okay with them knowing and happy they encourage me.
Ruby New Years.........Progress 0%
Secret Cosplay...........Progress 100%
Secret Cosplay 2...........Progress 0%

Conventions for 2014:
NorCal Winter Gathering

Contact me: Tumblr, DA, FB Fan Page, Skype: Naiagu
Naiagu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 04:40 PM   #12
sooyong
Ninja for Hire

I don't bring it up to someone right away when I meet them, but if they ask me what my hobbies are, cosplay will be included in the answer. If I'm laughed at, I don't need to be around that person.

In Progress:
  • Sailor Star Healer (Sailor Moon: Sailor Stars)
  • Fantastic Baby G-Dragon
  • [Secret Project]

sooyong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #13
Khorrupt

I guess you could say I promote the fact that I cosplay. I'm not walking around shoving it in people's faces like, "LOOK. LOOK AT ME. I DRESS UP LIKE FICTIONAL PEOPLE. AIN'T IT COOL?"

But I don't hide it in anyway. It's no different than a painter wanting people to see his/her work they worked hard to accomplish; I've worked hard on most of my costumes, and I want people to see.

My Facebook profile picture is me as pinup TARDIS, and my banner (that's what they call it, right?) on Facebook is my cosplay group's Young Justice lineup. I post pictures from conventions where I'm dressed up, etc. I'm alright with people knowing I cosplay, and the way I see it...if they think it's strange/freaky/odd...well, they can think that.

I'm an average person "on the street", if you will. I don't have freaky hair, I don't have a million piercings, and I wear dresses and t-shirts like your really average girl.

The way I see it, there are people out there who spend their free time smoking pot, drinking underage, etc. and still post pictures of it online. I'm entitled to a hobby, and I would much rather break "the social convention" than laws.

~2014 Cosplay~
~W.A. Mozart [ Place Je Passe ] (Mozart l'Opera Rock) - FINISHED
~Silkie [ Kigurumi ] (Teen Titans) - FINISHED
~Ryuk (Death Note) - FINISHED
~Elsa [ Ice Dress ] (Frozen) - FINISHED
~Regency TARDIS (Doctor Who) - FINISHED
~Princess Aurora [ Blue ] (Sleeping Beauty) - 45% complete
~The Winter Soldier (CA: TWS) - 15% complete
Khorrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 04:50 PM   #14
Padmik
mikky

Kind of. I don't keep it a secret from immediate family (not like I could anyway) and some close relatives. Even if I tried, I wouldn't have succeeded because my parents take pictures of everything I make and post them on Facebook. As punishment, I make them go to cons and get weirded out by con-goers.

I keep it a secret that I cosplay from people I just met and acquaintances. If I bring up a convention for any reason, I refer to it as an event and that's all. If someone brings up that I cosplay or they ask, I'll admit it, but depending on the person, I'll drop the conversation or change it. That's mainly because I'm not comfortable talking about my hobbies unless the other person shows some interest.

I keep my cosplay stuff to just cosplay sites and tumblr though. I took all my cosplay stuff off Facebook and I tell my friends to not tag me in any photos they upload or find on the internet. I also don't use FB anymore so it's like... why bother.

[Tumblr] [CosBlog]

2015 Conventions
We shall see~
2015 Cosplays
Honekoneko - Panty & Stocking 85%
Katniss Everdeen (hunting) - The Hunger Games 5%
Levi Ackerman - Attack on Space 0%
Rei Ayanami - Neon Genesis Evangelion 0%
Moira Burton - Resident Evil 0%

Last edited by Padmik : 08-01-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Padmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #15
Chibi_Miyuki

I don't necesarrily hide it, but I don't tend to talk about it unless people already know or ask. My family and a few friends know that I cosplay, but the people I work with and some of my other friends do not. I tend to be somewhat introverted, so that plays a role in my keeping it quiet, but I know some people won't see it in a good light, so I don't always bring it up. I love to cosplay but I don't think everyone I know wants to know or really vares all that much. There's nothing wrong with keeping something you love to yoursel, just like t here's no harm in sharing it with people if you want to.
Chibi_Miyuki is offline   Reply With Quote