Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 08-01-2013, 05:32 PM   #16
dagmarus
Gondor Enthusiast

I don't talk about it, but I'm unable to hide it, thanks to my wife. I kept the whole costume thing quiet for YEARS at work, but once she started and put up pictures of us in costumes around her office, that shit went right out the window.

'I am a destroyer of worlds!

'I am Harry Fucking Potter!'
dagmarus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-01-2013, 06:31 PM   #17
Hello Goodbye

I don't exactly hide it, but I don't run around telling everyone, either. If someone asked me "Do you cosplay?", I'd say yes, but I wouldn't be the first person to bring it up, I guess. I also keep all of my convention pictures off of my facebook page. All of my friends and family know, but if you went up to an acquaintance/casual friend they wouldn't know I cosplayed. I'm not ashamed of it or anything, because I love it and it's a great hobby, but since it isn't something everyone knows about, I'd rather not have to explain it 5 million times.
Tamaki Suoh-Ouran Highschool Host Club (Complete!)
Haru-Tsuritama (Complete!)
Minami (Avatar!)- Baka and Test (10% Complete)
Other Ideas: Crona (Soul Eater),Lavi (D. Gray Man),Ginko (Mushi-shi), Finny (Black Butler), Kyo (Fruits Basket), Sue (Clover)
Hello Goodbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 06:58 PM   #18
CS3
wannabe world traveler

I openly shared it at work and on my Facebook but it's a secret to everyone else I know and have. Which is probably why nearly all the old classmates that friended me on Facebook deleted me lol. It's dumb too they all found me as a group and it's like "hey there he is cool!" and then -finds out goes to anime cons and has costume- "oh no he's not normal go away!" pbtttt. But they have been replaced by new anime con going friends I've met.
Unread 08-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #19
TunaTetrazzini
Beatbox Champion

Kinda. The only ones who know I cosplay are the immediate family, friends who are cosplayers/anime fans, coscom members, and active dA watchers. I wouldn't bring cosplay up unless I was sure somebody was talking specifically about it.
TunaTetrazzini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 08:30 PM   #20
pandagilbirds
Is this a pigeon?

I used hide it from everyone except my closest friends (including internet friends) and family because well someone has to drive me to cons. But I do not particularly mind if someone in my grade finds out about it.
Nowadays I just upload cosplay stuff on Instagram and Facebook where everyone can see. And besides, if they say something about it I can't help it. It's not what people consider "normal" whatever the hell normal is anyways.
If I try to hide it from anyone, it would be my mom. She hates it with passion. She doesn't even want to talk about it unless to use it as a counterattack in our arguments. I go on these kinds of website in private even though they are completely age appropriate. And I even hide my cosplay stuff deep in my closet shelf hidden by bunch of blankets. Since I cannot drive and I've gotten my friends into this whole cosplay/nerd business, sometimes she has no choice to drive me to cons, but when I return from the con, in the car she would not stop yelling at me like "Look at your life and look at your choices."
So, I instead bring it up on purpose to get her used to it. I can't keep hiding in a mouse hole and get my feelings hurt just to do one thing I like.
Basically right now we are hurting each other's feelings probably but that's how equality works...in a way.

TL; DR If anyone says anything bad about cosplay, ignore them. If anyone starts hurting your feelings because of cosplay, stand up against them. Because there is nothing wrong with cosplay and all the geeky jazz.
pandagilbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #21
dx7879
King of the Pirates!

I sort of hide it from co-workers mainly due to being able to get off of work. If I tell them I was going to a con, I probably wouldn't be able to take the day off. I don't talk about it a lot with non-cosplayers, but if they ask I don't hide it

Youtube Page

Cosplays
Monkey D. Luffy (Film Z Battle Costume) - One Piece (2013)
Grumpy - The Dark Knight (2013)
Monkey D. Luffy (Alabasta) - One Piece (2012)
Monkey D. Luffy (2 Years Later) - One Piece (2012)
Monkey D. Luffy (Strong World) - One Piece (2011)
dx7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 09:03 PM   #22
Ineedaname9
I Am Not Sephiroth

I hide from my peers at my University or well I did. I tried to blend in and fit in because I want to be taken more seriously. Then after having my classmates talk about how quite and weird I am decided to say fuck it and not hide my cosplaying at con and love of anime. Also it was kinda hard to hide when I all but yelled 'yes!!' while running out of a canceled class toward the bus stop on a con friday. . .

Events: ALA 15, Kawaii Kon 15, and AX 15
Ineedaname9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #23
Shirayuki~Chan

From my family? Nope. My family isn't "normal" anyways, my mom is covered in tattoo's, so. I cosplay with my very best friends, and my other BFF's know about it, and like to see pics of us, and completely 100% support us, and finds it cool(I have great friends, A+).

From aquantenses? Yes. On my facebook? Yes. I don't like talking about anime in general in school, at all. It makes me feel awkward, aha.

So I don't hide it from my close friends and family, but I do hide it from everyone else(the worst is seeing a classmate at a con that you aren't friends with/barely ever talk to *shivers*)

Cosplays:
Daenerys Targaryen- Game of Thrones
Blackfire- Teen Titans
Tharja- Fire Emblem: Awakening

Shirayuki~Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #24
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

I am in the process of a controlled release with this hobby. I have a multitude of interests including cosplay. However I realized that I enjoy doing this late last year and want to make connections in this hobby and I have to share it so I can make those connections.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt: "Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort."

Conventions Attending:
2014 LA Anime Expo
2015 Anime LA

Costumes:
Jedi Link 1.0 Complete
Jedi Link 2.0 Patterns Completed, Leather gauntlet cuffs and boot covers. Tunic Patterns Cut.
Hero's Shade: In the process of starting. 0% complete.
Future Cosplay plans:
Jedi Link 3.0
Mewtwo
JediofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 09:22 PM   #25
Scarecrow1992
Enthusiast of the Obscure

I show it off on Facebook and DA, but I don't mention it in conversation unless the topic comes up or I'm talking about a con.
Tommy Vercetti (GTA Vice City)
Ash Williams (Evil Dead)
Wolverine (Marvel Comics)
Rex Power Colt (Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon)
Mankind (WWE)
Post-Apocalypse Thor (Marvel)
Ellis (Left 4 Dead 2)
Scarecrow1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 09:38 PM   #26
LinkPwnsGanon
Queen Mikasa Scarf Face

I don't really hide it I just made a different account and a cosplay page to not like spam them with pictures and whatnot. I even shared my page onto my personal account and told them that if they really wanna know what I'm up to then they can like my page to see it. Seeing how my cosplay facebook is, I'm glad I made a new account because a lot of people would be confused! xD Most of them already know what I'm up to and honestly if someone I know doesn't like it I wouldn't care. I'm not doing it to please them and I won't stop what I'm doing.

W.I.P:
Queen Mikasa - Attack on Titan 15%
Wings of Counterattack!Mikasa - AoT 25%
Poison Ivy - Batman 40%
Sailor Pluto - Sailor Moon 70%
Judy Skellington - Nightmare before Christmas 10%
Planned:
Black Canary - DC Bombshell
Nonon Jakuzure - Kill La Kill
LinkPwnsGanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #27
ghosgreen

It's not something I really bring up would be more accurate for me. I don't try to hide it but I don't go around talking about it unless it pops up. It was a little weird at first when my family found out I cosplay and they thought it was kind of weird. But then when you have some really nice pictures or say hey this got me to do so and so for that thing now they're pretty cool about it and think it's neat I do it. But yeah places like class I don't bring it up. But then that really doesn't last long when con comes around and I'm walking around campus in my costume anyways. Oh well.
ghosgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #28
Chryso

My family know about it, but we don't talk about it really. They dont encourage it nor do they really scorn it. They just urge me to think about paying my bills and to stress less, because cosplay does suck a lot out of funds and man is it stressful!

Everyone at work knows and either loves it or doesn't mind it. We're talking country/farm folk, often religious, sport and soap opera loving people. It makes me stand out. So I've never tried to hide it from them. I do hide it from my clients though; I don't think many people would like to know that their doctor is a cosplayer. But that's probably the same for most professions.

When meeting people, unless they're a cosplayer too I don't shove it in their faces that I cosplay. It's something that comes up later when I get to know them better.

Run without rivals
Chryso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 11:02 PM   #29
Kelley
Devil of Details

Nope.

Now, there are people who I don't talk to it about at work because I know they wouldn't care and would be uninterested in that kind of conversation, but I wouldn't call that "hiding" it. If they ever brought it up I wouldn't lie and I talk to others about it who would be interested.

I don't think I could call anyone a friend if I had to hide part of myself from them. To me friend is a word that denotes a greater connection than "associate" or "co-worker" or "acquaintance". I can imagine having a friend who was not interested in costumes, but that's MUCH different than having to hide it from them. Having to hide something in order to be "friends" is not what being a friend is in the first place.

I suppose it doesn't come naturally to me to cultivate "friends" just to get things from them. If I had to "lead a double life" just to gain some kind of advantage and be hurt if the truth came out, I don't think I could do it, that would be too much effort.

There's one truth in my life I'm apprehensive about telling, but it's something that people are killed for so don't really feel too bad about that. But every single person I would actually call a friend does know.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 11:41 PM   #30
AnnaJieJie

I take a lot of pride in my sewing and my crafting. If the subject of hobbies comes up in conversation I will readily admit to being a cosplayer. Though I refer to it as costuming, since it's a more well known term, and also because I've done costume work for my college drama department and for clubs I was in in high school. People usually respond really well, since it's a skill not everyone has.
AnnaJieJie is offline   Reply With Quote