Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Historical Costuming

Unread 08-06-2013, 12:56 AM   #1
CJohn

Is it safe to go barefoot to renaissance fest?

I want to go as an Earthbender to renaissance festival, and in the case that I can't get ahold of a good pair of shoes for the role, shoes seem to be more optional for earthbenders, and I don't like footwear anyway. Is it safe or allowed to go shoeless to ren fest?
CJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-06-2013, 01:39 AM   #2
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

Whether it's allowed or not depends on the rules of the festival you're going to. Safe? About as safe as going barefoot on city streets, probably, with similar minor risks of stepping on broken glass or other sharp things. You won't die.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 03:14 AM   #3
Kelley
Devil of Details

When I worked at a Renaissance Festival we were told that going barefoot was absolutely prohibited.

There's the usual, mud, woodchips and wooden floors (so, splinters), broken glass, vomit, pee, dog "accidents" if dogs are allowed at the festival, food spills, and more ! Not to mention that it's a high-traffic area and people can and will step on your feet.

I'm a person who sits on public toilet seats, but I would never want to go barefoot in those port-a-potties.

You might not die, but you could end up stepping in some really disgusting things and you could potentially get cut or otherwise injured and that could get infected and generally make your day pretty crappy and be a health hazard for others.

Just get some tan or black ballet flats.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 09:06 PM   #4
CJohn

Okay, thanks. The ballet flats somehow scare me. I'm a guy. I'll figure something out.
Unread 08-06-2013, 09:29 PM   #5
Jenne

Xero shoes might be a good option. http://xeroshoes.com/ You'll want to get used to wearing them before wearing them all day/ weekend at a ren fest.
Jenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #6
Jenne

Hmm-- maybe I broke a rule by adding a link? I posted a link for a type of minimalist running shoe that consists of a sole and a cord. That might serve your purposes.
Jenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 10:15 PM   #7
harmonyisarine

Don't let ballet flats scare you. I will admit they're seriously uncomfortable, though. No arch support in most of them.

If you can't find a minimalist shoe, find a thematic shoe for an earthbender. Look at the style of dress they wear and the shoes the non-benders wear and go for that, instead. I personally enjoy a matching shoe over a minimalist one, in cases like this. Too many minimalist styles are too modern for a costume like this (my tastes only, of course).

And as for whether it's allowed or not, I wouldn't go barefoot in a renfaire and I have calluses thick as shoe leather, for all the reasons listed above.
Unread 08-07-2013, 10:06 AM   #8
MedievalGirl

Would half-sole sandals like these suit your needs? They might meet a faire's shoe requirement.
http://www.amazon.com/Capezio-Womens.../dp/B002CO2JPG

I had my oh so cute slippers fall apart at a renaissance faire years ago. It was gross and muddy. My feet were miserable and I ended up sitting in one music venue most of the day.
MedievalGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #9
CJohn

Those would work really well, but the sizing would be an issue. It says it clear off the bat on the amazon page, and I'm a guy, so the fact that it's a woman's shoe makes it even more difficult.

I don't have much money to spend on this really. I've mostly got a lot of green and brown fabric, gold fringe-highlight material, fake leather, and buckram. I don't want to have to buy much more. The footwear is always an issue with every costume for me...
Unread 08-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #10
MedievalGirl

There are other brands that may have better sizing. The neutral ones could work with other cosplays.

I was cringing at the idea of you wearing ballet flats. They hit me in all the wrong places. I have wide feet and buy guy shoes all the time. It probably works less well the other way around. (A guy buying female shoes.) Good luck.
MedievalGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 04:59 AM   #11
Kelley
Devil of Details

Half-sole still means half your foot is touching all that listed above. ;p

(also, please don't take my man card but I did ballet and actual ballet shoes are just like... foot bags... they conform to your foot... not great if you legitimately need arch support but otherwise not really any different than going barefoot)

Since you are a dude, just get some of these. Cheap, full-foot protection, should work find with costume.

I'm not familiar with the show, so I was thinking "Toph" and assumed "girl".

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 05:27 AM   #12
Deathirst

I have a similar issue, I'm cosplaying as Inuyasha soon and he doesn't wear shoes. I just recently found a thread on here about how to deal with it and I think the best suggestion there (at least for my situation) was invisible shoes.

I haven't tried it yet but they are basically transparent PVC insoles with mesh fabric straps that you colour to match your skin colour. Here's the tutorial on how to make them if you decide to go for that idea. Anyway good luck
Deathirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 05:59 AM   #13
Randommerade
Princess of Heart

Why don't you try this tutorial? It might help. Invisible shoes for barefoot characters.

EDIT: I just realized Deathirst posted the same guide... lol
Navi (Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time)
Kairi (Kingdom Hearts II)
Planned Cosplays
Oerba Dia Vanille (Final Fantasy 13)
Luka (Just Be Friends)
Firefox (Mozilla Firefox Internet Browser)
Lone Wanderer (Fallout 3) **Not Confirmed**

Last edited by Randommerade : 08-13-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Randommerade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 11:12 PM   #14
CJohn

Thank you, everyone. I've seen the invisible shoes before, those are cool. But I've found a solution. I got ahold of some leather boots, and while they're a bit small, I'll cut bits out to make it more of a sandal so it can fit. Anyone have any advice cutting leather?