Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-14-2013, 02:30 AM   #16
toshirua3846384
take your fail and leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanGylen View Post
Heroes of Cosplay is a new show on Syfy (Here is the link)
Thoughts?
I have heard one person say "Heroes of cosplay just does not sit right. It kind of goes against the spirit of cosplay of being for fun and for the love of a character… Does any one else feel this way?"
Tell me your thoughts.
I just watched the show a few hours ago and don't have a problem with it. All in all i feel its just a show and i also feel people are free to like or dislike it just like a lot of series. Also i think anyone could still have "the love of the character" and still showcase and get money off it. But that's really my take on it.

-->( v O x O)O"

Last edited by toshirua3846384 : 08-14-2013 at 02:37 AM.
toshirua3846384 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-14-2013, 03:48 AM   #17
Throatriptron
Tsundere

I see this show less as a representation of the entire cosplay community, and more a representation of cosplay competition which I feel it has done more or less fairly accurately. You get people being crappy to each other and extremely hard on themselves in any competition about anything, and cosplay is no exception to the rule. Even if we don't compete we've all had our share of "con drama" and have seen/heard some pretty rude comments being thrown around. It happens.

That being said, I'm not really a fan of any of the attitudes on this show. That one girl just screamed at her boyfriend a bunch who was helping her make a costume and didn't even get to make one for himself and really was just trying to help. I also thought it was sort of annoying that the Merida was complaining about not having the right body for Merida....when that character is a young teenage girl. Nobody even said anything like "Oh you're an adult...you're actually supposed to have hips and a bust." They were kind of just like, "Yeah you're right get on the elliptical".

I really enjoyed seeing the materials and techniques they used, though, and hope they show more of that next episode as opposed to Yaya lording over everyone else on the show and flexing her cosplay muscles at people. I'm sure a lot of it is editing....but come on. I mean really.
Throatriptron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 08:41 AM   #18
fujyoshi
half elf flame haze

I hate to sound like THAT person but it was kinda disappointed that there was noone black on there. The techniques were pretty useful though even though like most reality shows they did make it into drama. I wonder if any 'a the people on that show are on this site though /hmm
Manjoume Jun - Yu-Gi-Oh GX
fujyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #19
Kesra
Smooch a Pheonix Today!

...Hate to say it but I kinda liked it. There are people who get freaking neurotic when it comes to competition. And the girl that was making the Lulu cosplay got hers. What was she thinking trying to get that done in a week and a half *Says the girl that made TP Zelda in nine days*

I've never seen Cosplay judged that way before. Is that a west coast thing?

On a sidenote, it really got me wanting to work on my cosplay XD

Remaking Season 3 Azula.

Done/Working On/Pattern/Not started

Pants Tunic Dickie Surcoat Armor Boots Belt Wig
Check out my new facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/kesracosplay
Kesra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 12:28 AM   #20
SakuraFrost
Accidental Creeper

The techniques and such- like head casting and using thermal plastic- were helpful for us beginners. On the other hand, boobs. Everywhere. Stuffed into tiny little costumes and being, in general, gross. There is such a thing as too much sex appeal. There was way too much drama and cattiness, and just in general behaving like children. Plus I've never heard of this Yaya lady. But that might be my bad. In the end, it's fun to watch and laugh, and maybe even learn a little. It's just not something you'd show to a child.
SakuraFrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 01:21 AM   #21
Undertaker^^
Ghost Pokemon Lover~

Well if you wanna see more replies about this topic, it seems there are two trends about it the other is in the general cosplay chat... just if anyone was reading replies or such ya know...

-Youmacon 2014-
Mega Banette Gijinka ( Pokemon ) - Halted apparently till a later Event
Enderman Gijinka ( Minecraft )

Undertaker^^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 02:38 AM   #22
Amanita

I watched it, and it wasn't as much of a shit show as I thought it might be.

I couldn't believe the people trying to build elaborate costumes with just a couple of weeks before the con, I think that Lulu cosplayer had less than two weeks. Consequently when her embroidery machine broke down, there was no time to recover. Even with her boyfriend getting them done and overnighting them to her, there was just not enough time to sew them all on before the contest.

The D&D couple fell into the same trap, not having enough time to make their own horns and having to purchase a set. Yaya mentioned penalizing them for using purchased horns, I'm not sure how much I agree with her on that- It might have been because the horns were a major trait for that character, and she would cut more slack had it been a minor accessory that they purchased instead.

That lifecast had me going "What the heck?" Because they did a pretty good job showing what NOT to do- that wrinkled bald cap is going to be an issue, as those wrinkles will show up on the finished cast and be a pain to clean up. And having her ponytail sticking up out of the cast? Just no..no. You're supposed to flatten hair down with water or hair gel and put the bald cap over everything, otherwise you get a nice tail-hole in your mold, and possible distortion around it.
And they also erred by trying to do the whole head all at once- you're generally supposed to do the back of the head first, and once that's set up you do the front, making sure to apply a release (petroleum jelly) to the edges of the back, so that the two halves will come apart later. But these people almost came to serious grief- there were a few tense moments when that head mold didn't want to come off!

I felt bad for that Merida cosplayer, angsting over her body as she did. She pointed out how hateful people on the net can be, which is a shame. A lot of people would love to have her body, but she just never felt good enough.

As for the male cosplayer, he had the most sense of the lot, working on his costume for months in advance, instead of last minute rushing.

A friend of mine says I should be on this show. I told him that most likely won't happen. I'm Canadian, fat, and probably too old and unattractive by their standards. And that's a shame- there's lots of cosplayers who don't fit into the mold of "young, thin, light skinned", who get pretty much ignored.

Last edited by Amanita : 08-15-2013 at 02:55 AM.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 04:59 AM   #23
Celcia
Revolutionary Girl

Fuck this show and I hope it dies in a fire. That one particular snobby @#$&% made me want to throw my laptop out a window.

deviantArt account

Last edited by Celcia : 08-15-2013 at 05:02 AM.
Celcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 06:07 AM   #24
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

I don't personally like the show.
But I will say the problem started when this show was first THOUGHT of.
For you guys that have seen it, you know it's more of a reality show during the week or two leading up to the convention. There's drama. A girl blows off her costume and doesn't finish. Here's the thing. That's all scripted. It didn't happen that way, the girls were given scripts (basic or full, I don't know) and told what they needed to do, what conversations to have, etc.
And the problem with this? My mother (who knows nothing about cosplay) watched with me. She had no clue what was going on. She didn't care. It doesn't explain well enough to intrigue someone who isn't in the hobby, and it has too much fake dramuu to make any cosplayers want to watch it.
I think the main force behind this show's failure and it being ripped apart is that it's a REALITY show. Yeah yeah, reality TV is the worst! is not my why. My why is cosplay is literally not ready for reality TV. Nobody knows what it is. Nobody will care if they don't love it already. It's not something anyone can laugh at because of all the drama. People don't understand it, at all. So a reality show is ASKING for a crash and burn.
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #25
ChibiDannimon

If im not on the show or I dont make my costumes does that make me a cosplay villain?

2014 Cosplays

Black Widow - The Avengers (Comic Book Version)
Sailor Galaxia - Sailor Stars
Rosa/Mei - Pokemon Black and White 2
Finn - Adventure Time
Ben Tennyson - Ben 10 Omniverse
Takato - Digimon 03
Rei Ryugazaki - Free!
ChibiDannimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:11 AM   #26
MirniMausi
Just live more

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiDannimon View Post
If im not on the show or I dont make my costumes does that make me a cosplay villain?
This sure is a good point.
What's that "hero" stuff in the title supposed to mean anyway? That those are like the super-elite of cosplayers or something? Sounds sorta strange to me.

~Up Next~
Maybe: Yoko Minato/ Kamen Rider Marika (Kamen Rider Gaim)
MirniMausi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:47 AM   #27
Undertaker^^
Ghost Pokemon Lover~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MirniMausi View Post
This sure is a good point.
What's that "hero" stuff in the title supposed to mean anyway? That those are like the super-elite of cosplayers or something? Sounds sorta strange to me.
I did not even know who any of these people were till the show came and gone so i can say they were not exactly my heroes... lol

-Youmacon 2014-
Mega Banette Gijinka ( Pokemon ) - Halted apparently till a later Event
Enderman Gijinka ( Minecraft )

Undertaker^^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #28
CosplayJelly
The Greatest Jelly

agreed. someone who doesnt have fun with cosplay and is just there for the money is in no way a hero of mine.
Miss Fortune (LoL)- 0% thinking
Tera Elin- 0% thinking
Hermione- 99% waiting for shipment to arrive
Conventions~
OtakonAnime USAKatsucon!
CosplayJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #29
Kildread
I can fix it!

The producer has been quoted sounding like he's looking at cosplayers with his dick rather than his eyes, if that says anything:

----

"Male characters tend to be simpler — lots of body armor and weaponry and spandex and capes," observes Cronin. "They're usually nowhere near as interesting and intricate, or sexy and cool, as the costumes worn by the women. And, let's face it, female sexuality is a big part of comic-book art and a big element in the Con world."

----

SEXY WOMENZ IS BIG PART OF COMICS AND CONS.

Go figure if that's a direct quote or interpretation though.
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 05:06 PM   #30
belligerent
Viking Metal

Somebody pointed out somewhere that Mark Cronin is the same guy who produced "Flavor of Love," which is one of the most exploitative bits of crap television to have hit the airways in the last decade. So, YMMV.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote