Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #31
Citrakite
Journey into a Decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildread View Post
The producer has been quoted sounding like he's looking at cosplayers with his dick rather than his eyes, if that says anything:

----

"Male characters tend to be simpler — lots of body armor and weaponry and spandex and capes," observes Cronin. "They're usually nowhere near as interesting and intricate, or sexy and cool, as the costumes worn by the women. And, let's face it, female sexuality is a big part of comic-book art and a big element in the Con world."

----

SEXY WOMENZ IS BIG PART OF COMICS AND CONS.

Go figure if that's a direct quote or interpretation though.
Well to TV execs Nerds like boobs so we show boobs they watch boobs, and Network makes money as people want to sell things to nerds who tend to have money.

Add in Boobs with Drama and we got females watching too. Double win right?

Frelling morons.
Anime Expo -Done
Saboten-Con
Tucson Comic-Con
Anime Los Angeles

"Kilts were of course everyday wear. In battle we'd don full length sequin gowns to blind our enemies." -Groundskeeper Willie
Citrakite is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #32
CosplayJelly
The Greatest Jelly

someone told me HoC was made by the same ppl as Jersey Shore? o.o
Miss Fortune (LoL)- 0% thinking
Tera Elin- 0% thinking
Hermione- 99% waiting for shipment to arrive
Conventions~
OtakonAnime USAKatsucon!
CosplayJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:24 PM   #33
belligerent
Viking Metal

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0188782/

Here's his list of work. Enjoy.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Nephrite
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #34
KittyAngel
cute little kitty >^.^<

Talking

Okay, let me just say that, I personally like the show. It was really interesting, imo

I happen to like the show because it serves my interest and I also happen to be a Mixed Media artist in real life. Some of my creations are strictly paintings, and others have more materials within 1 painting.

How I'm looking at this is that how I need to treat a certain peice of prop or how to handle a certain way of sewing if I happen to run into a cosplay that would have a similar situation in the future. Now, for those that are hating the show, that's fine and all, but also understand that this is just the first episode, so don't judge it just yet. Give it at least 4 or 5 episodes. If you still don't like it, then that's perfectly fine.

As far as the drama is concerned, I agree that it's about the fun and not the competition, but at the same time, that 1 FFX LuLu cosplayer shouldn't have waited to the day of the con to pull off a perfect FFX LuLu cosplay at the last minute. However, for the one's that has gotten the majority of their cosplays done and there's still alot left to do, then don't hate on them.

Let me just that my awesome Mom, in 2007, pulled off a half way decent Ryoko from Tenchi Muyo dress on the night before MTAC (Middle Tennessee Anime Convention) and we had purchased a dress on ebay that was similar to her dress. What she did was she bought a huge amount of white material, took that dress, and used it as a pattern. When she did, she took my old sewing machine an starting sewing. Mind you, she didn't use a sewing machine that often. Alot of the cosplay itself was already completed. She just made the dress better.

So please don't hate these people too much, in terms for something last minute. I'll finish by saying these 2 things. 1. Be glad that the cosplay community is even getting noticed in a good way and not in a bad way. 2. For those of you who know what "The Big Bang Theroy" show is on TBS, would you prefer to be stereotyped by being compared to the nerds on the show? I'm not haten' just sayin'

DeviantArt.com
JapaneseBlossomKitty
KittyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #35
belligerent
Viking Metal

I think the issue most of us have is that this isn't really recognizing us in a good way. Also, Big Bang Theory is essentially a show that is "lol look at the nerds" but is also being marketed TO nerds as something they should enjoy and buy t-shirts of. Comparing it to Heroes of Cosplay is pretty apt, in that this show seems to be about the same level of exploitation. They're not laughing with us, they're laughing AT us, and also at us laughing because we do identify with it (all the way to the bank, generally).

I would actually prefer nobody ever know about what cosplay is to this kind of publicity. I've already had to explain that no, this isn't a show that's totally relevant to what I do to two family members already because of seeing commercials for it.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Nephrite
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 01:35 PM   #36
ChibiDannimon

I pretty much given up on trying to justify my hobby to non-cosplayers. At this point, Im going to be completely hostile towards them.

2014 Cosplays

Black Widow - The Avengers (Comic Book Version)
Sailor Galaxia - Sailor Stars
Rosa/Mei - Pokemon Black and White 2
Finn - Adventure Time
Ben Tennyson - Ben 10 Omniverse
Takato - Digimon 03
Rei Ryugazaki - Free!
ChibiDannimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #37
dagmarus
Gondor Enthusiast

The whole "So is this what you do?" thing was kind of what I was afraid of with this. People think we all run around and lick the ground at Yaya Han's feet and hold her up as some sort of idol, or all get that wacky about competitions or whatever. No. Not at all representative of what I do at conventions or why I do it.

'I am a destroyer of worlds!

'I am Harry Fucking Potter!'
dagmarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 02:04 PM   #38
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Just talked to my step dad who's been a comicbook person since he was little, and love everything comic related, even the cosplays he sees at cons. He watched this show, and hated it too. I didn't watch it though, and I refuse to, but I already knwo from reading this, that it's a bunch of crap. I watched the extended trailer though..If they want to treat a hobby that way, then fine no one can stop them, but I just hope it doesn't make future cosplayers act the way they do thinking that's an ok attitude to have
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Serena (Pokemon Y [It's the one I have lol])
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 02:16 PM   #39
J-Mirakuru
~*Mirakuru*~

Was it just me or did Yaya come off as an elitist b-i-t-c-h throughout the show? I've seen her pose as Rarity from MLP with the Lulu and Merida cosplayers before also.

Maybe she was trying to come off as un-biased as she could because she personally knew those two as cosplayers and people?

I don't know, man. She just as this snobby air to her throughout this episode that made me feel uncomfortable.

~Cosplay History~
Maka Albarn; Soul Eater
Anarchy Stocking; P&SwG
Imp Midna; LoZ Twilight Princess
Megpoid Gumi; Vocaloid
WORKING ON:
Goddess Madoka; Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Medli; Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
Sasha Brauss; Shingeki no Kyojin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Kōhai. Her name is now Kōhai.
J-Mirakuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #40
siyrean

i hope nobody seriously forms judgments of people based on this show. It's not real folks, don't let the TV manipulate you.

Dragon*Con: Captain America-Lolita Avengers, Steampunk, ?ASoIaF, Shura, Roman Torchwick, RWBY PJ ver.
Teslacon: Steampunk
Ice and Fire con:
Anime North:
Colossal con:
Apop:
DragonCon:

siyrean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #41
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

I don't hate the cosplayers themselves, I DO hate the cosplayers the way they're scripted within the show.
I may watch an episode or two more just to see the full arsenal of cosplayers and how they all act, but I'm not going to be a regular watcher. It was painful to sit there for an hour with my mom to watch this first episode, because this show absolutely fails in one respect.
It doesn't appeal to ANYBODY. My mother knows nothing of cosplay beyond the fact that I wear wigs and costumes and meet strangers. Nothing was explained. She had no idea what was going on. She got bored. She stopped watching. I, of course being a cosplayer, got angry by the fakeness, the overdramatic forced drama, the bitchiness of the girls, and just about EVERYTHING.
It appeals to no one. Maybe nerdy guys who want to look at babes. Maybe guys who want to laugh at nerdy bitches. But no one in my home likes this, and I count that as a failure.
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014

Last edited by FuntomKitten : 08-18-2013 at 07:44 PM.
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 01:08 PM   #42
MoradoFlower
Stephanie-Lynn

Woops double post.

*Mallow (Mario RPG)
*Sylveon (Pokemon; Gijinka)

Last edited by MoradoFlower : 08-20-2013 at 01:15 PM.
MoradoFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #43
MoradoFlower
Stephanie-Lynn

I think my favorite part of the show was when it came out and all the people on my FB said "its gona cause drama! it's gona make cosplay look like drama!", then posted dramatic statuses everywhere about it.

My thoughts to those people: Dude, if you just shut your mouth, there wouldn't have been any drama. Also, the cosplay community is dramatic because of people like YOU. If I made a show called "Heroes of Fishing" and made it dramatic, I highly doubt hardcore fishermen would have flipped out. Wana know why? Because they're too busy going out fishing and enjoying it instead of whining over what the TV says they are.

I think the show has done one thing for me: shown which people within the cosplay community I can tolerate, and shown me which ones I can't.

NO FUCKS GIVEN FOREVER

*Mallow (Mario RPG)
*Sylveon (Pokemon; Gijinka)
MoradoFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #44
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

WOW THEY'RE MAKING FAKE DRAMA BETWEEN THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE KNOWN EACH OTHER FOREVER, who'da thunk
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 02:49 PM   #45
Royalbakaness
Zombie Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoradoFlower View Post
I think my favorite part of the show was when it came out and all the people on my FB said "its gona cause drama! it's gona make cosplay look like drama!", then posted dramatic statuses everywhere about it.

My thoughts to those people: Dude, if you just shut your mouth, there wouldn't have been any drama. Also, the cosplay community is dramatic because of people like YOU.
Ha, I had very similar thoughts. I kind of think those online are PROVING how dramatic some cosplayers can be...
Not ALL cosplayers mind you. Some, though...