Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-14-2013, 10:22 PM   #1
xXRenoRabbitXx
Princess of Arendelle

First time wig buyer. Help?

If my thread is in the wrong spot or has already been answered just let me know.

Hello, again, cosplay.com! So, I'm finally getting a cosplay off the ground. Shocker right? Well anyway, this has been on the fence for me. See, I'm cosplaying as Princess Anna from Disney's new movie Frozen

My hair used to be the same color as hers, so I decided I didn't want to get a wig. I would just get a hair extension for the white streak and braid my own hair. Unfortunately my hair is now sun kissed blonde and I don't want to go through the hassle of dying it again. That and my hair probably won't grow out in time for the movie's release in November. I'm frantically searching for a wig so when I get the money to buy one I can get it.

I need a mid-back length, strawberry blonde wig. I'd like to keep it under 50$. Does anyone know of any good websites to go to? I've tried a few but they didn't have what I was looking for and I'm too afraid to dye a wig as I'm new to the world of cosplay wigs. Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited by xXRenoRabbitXx : 08-14-2013 at 10:27 PM.
xXRenoRabbitXx is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-14-2013, 10:25 PM   #2
Randommerade
Princess of Heart

It sounds surprising, but eBay isn't a bad place to buy wigs, that is if you know where you're buying from. A few good sellers are cosplaywig, cosplayanimewigs and vogue-builder. Of course you'll have to style it yourself, or bring it to a hairstylist, but it's not a bad start. The best part is, you can often find a decent wig for around $20-30. Here's some tips for buying on eBay:

1. ALWAYS check the seller's feedback, positive and negative. Take time to read through the reviews both good and bad. A "top-rated seller" sticker is good news. If the seller has less than 98% feedback I wouldn't waste your time.
2. Avoid listings that are listed as 1 cent but then shipping is $20 or so, these are usually bad news.
3. Be cautious of the following describing words. "Hot, hot sell, sale, party, sexy (or any other word like this such as "pretty"), fashion". Sometimes though sellers do sell good quality wigs and just stick these words in the title to get more search results pop up. Still be cautious of the title.
4. The price. If the wig is new under $15 it's probably too good to be true. The wig may be bad quality.
5. ALWAYS check the description of the item before you buy it, most of the time it will state what the wig's made out of, if it's heat resistant, the length, and sometimes even have extra pictures.
6. Be careful when looking at pictures!! Some people may steal photos from other sites so you may not get what you expect.

eBay IS a great place to buy wigs, but if those risks are too big for you, a well known seller is Arda Wigs. I've never ordered from them personally but I've heard they're great. You can also check out the Marketplace.
Navi (Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time)
Kairi (Kingdom Hearts II)
Planned/WIP Cosplays
Princess Serenity (Sailor Moon Crystal)
Ariel (The Little Mermaid)

Last edited by Randommerade : 08-15-2013 at 02:06 AM.
Randommerade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 12:49 AM   #3
spookehdoom
Batz. Batz O'Hell.

There's also JC-Punk on eBay. Wigs are $20+ and quite nice, actually! I got my Stocking wig from them and there are reviews on the web.

Here's one for a wig and I reviewed my Stocking wig.

Alternative dyes (Manic Panic, Special Effects) are vegetable dyes and stain. They are not water-based. Don't want to see your hair stained later on? Don't do it.
spookehdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 07:20 PM   #4
shinra_spy
Cuddly Toysaurus

eBay is definitely a great place to find a wig if you do your research and find a reputable seller, as Randommerade said above. The one wig I bought on eBay, though, did not work out ... it was shipped from Asia, arrived a month later, and was too small for my head. It was also non-returnable. :\

Since then, I always stick to Arda wigs. The best freakin' wigs you can find, seriously. They are amazing. A little pricier than eBay, but the quality is undeniable and you always resell it later if you're done with that particular cosplay.

I thought Arda's "Leia" specialty wig would work quite nicely for Princess Anne. TONS of colors to choose from, and the best part? The part. XD Most wigs are not easily parted down the middle for pigtails/braids like Anna's, but this wig already has it. It's $45 plus shipping, so a little over your budget, but most definitely worth it.
Cait Sith, Final Fantasy VII - Planned

Upcoming Conventions:
Sac-Con, December 2013
SacAnime Winter, January 2014
AOD, January 2014

shinra_spy is offline   Reply With Quote