Rainaan
Captain Giggles

Cersei Lannister Dress

Hey all,

So I am planning on doing this Cersei dress:
One
Two
Three

And I am having two slight problems...one being that I am having trouble finding an appropriate pattern, something that looks pretty much exactly like the dress-- would anyone have suggestions?

Secondly, I DID find one pattern that seems like it might be plausible to buy and alter, but I don't know how to go about turning this pattern into- essentially- a robe-dress, which is what cersei's dress seems to be. Any idea how I would do this with this pattern (provided I don't find alternatives)? Pattern

Thank you for any help given .
Rainaan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-17-2013, 08:27 AM   #2
Kelley
Devil of Details

I would ask you what your goals and expectations for this costume are. How much do you care about making a replica versus a facsimile? How do you plan on tackling the embroidery?

I ask because I would tailor my advice to what your goals for the costume are because I would give very different advice depending on what you want to do and how much you care about certain aspects.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 08:39 AM   #3
Rainaan
Captain Giggles

I'd like it to look as much like the actual dress as possible. It looks like a Kimono/robe dress with giant sleeves so it's a bit confusing to me how I would start to put that together, alter patterns, etc since there doesn't seem to be anything like that in any patterns.

I plan on hand embroidering the birds and swirls.

A friend had used a Kimono pattern AND a fitted dress pattern that had those types of sleeves, but I'm not sure if there's an easier way to do it.
Unread 08-17-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
Penlowe

marrying different patterns together will be the easiest route, buy one for the sleeves, a second for the front shape & closure, the inset panels on the sides can be achieved through tutorials. (Those flared insets are called gores or_________________ the other shape name escapes me at the moment).

Wrap dresses were really popular in the 50's and then again in the 70's, if you search for vintage patterns, you may very well find a house dress type thing that is very close to that (it will definitely be knee length, but that's an easy mod). I'll dig through my stash because I have quite a few vintage patterns.
Unread 08-17-2013, 09:49 AM   #5
Penlowe

found it
if you want it PM me I'll put in in my Etsy shop reserved

Last edited by Penlowe : 02-09-2014 at 12:28 PM.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
Rainaan
Captain Giggles

Ooh, pattern A looks pretty spot-on! Would just need to alter the sleeves at that point-- speaking of which, is there a technical term for those types of sleeves so I may look up tutorials on how to make them and add them to dresses?

Thanks!
Unread 08-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
Kelley
Devil of Details

Look for "bell sleeves", they are also reminiscent of Tudor period sleeves. Have you considered drafting the pattern yourself ? It's rather draped and doesn't have an abundance of pieces. The pattern Penlowe has looks pretty good, but I guess I just feel like if I'm putting in what looks like 40++ hours of embroidery then I'd want the base to be really freaking perfect - because why spend 40++ hours embroidering something that isn't (you're looking at maybe 200++ hours if you do the side panels by hand, too) ?

It's a really simple robe with princess seams, likely no side seam, and an important part of fitting will be the armscye so that while the body is meant to drape you need to have a good fit in the armscye and upper sleeves in order to get an elegant and custom look instead of "one size fits all bathrobe".

Here's a diagram of a historical pattern : link

Now, hers has a side panel and you'd split the front piece and add an overlap - and the side skirt pieces seem to be that one insert of the tan fabric (I can't quite tell if it, itself has seams in it). The back blue panels are also very full - while the front is "flat". Once you can draft a torso block you can do almost anything. Personally, I would get screenshots of this from the show that shows it in motion - when I did this for my own project I discovered things that I hadn't even really thought about that really helped.

It really depends on your philosophy and your skills and how you like to work. I, personally, find working with and altering pre-made patterns frustrating when I end up changing almost every aspect of them. I would rather work from the ground up because I find it easier because I can make what I want the first time and to my own measurements and proportions. I'm not saying this is better, but if it's something you'd be interested in doing it might be easier for you depending on how you work to get a very exact likeness of that dress that fits you as it fit the actress in the show.

Actually in the pipes:
Unread 08-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
Rainaan
Captain Giggles

I suppose I should clarify-- my skill set with sewing and patterns is not expert, I am only a little bit above beginner. So I don't expect it to be perfect or extremely exact, but good enough for what I am capable of doing. I also will only have 2 1/2 months to finish the dress (I will be in Tokyo for 4 months until December and I won't be working on this at all). I can generally churn out medium sized pieces of embroidery in about a day and a half depending on how busy I am.

For the embroidery bit, the time will be less only because I will not be doing beading (and the side panels (lighter color with the print pattern) are print fabric, as far as I can see..no embroidery).

I have never done something without a pattern other than my Daenerys dress because it wasn't necessary, so I would be extremely worried about not using one for guidelines. I'd like to play it safe.

Sorry I didn't give this info before haha. I also might have some help from others who have made the same dress before so maybe it will work out even better :P.
Unread 08-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #9
AliceinIvory
Alice Addison

If you do end up using the method of different patterns, steal the sleeves from this baby? http://www.simplicity.com/p-2201-costumes.aspx
Unread 08-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #10
AliceinIvory
Alice Addison

AND here's a robe-shape that might be what you're looking for (aside from sleeves) http://butterick.mccall.com/b5544-pr...hp?page_id=385
Unread 08-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #11
Kelley
Devil of Details

I hadn't really bothered to track down any other pictures before - but it does look like a print/dye. Image. I'd also guess now that each side has four pieces - the main one that attaches to the body, and two smaller triangles. A stencil would probably be the best bet, but that would also be time consuming. You could always just buy a fabric, it's up to you.

I made a pattern for my second costume ever. I don't think it's ever too early to start, but that's just me.

Actually in the pipes:
Unread 08-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #12
Rainaan
Captain Giggles

My mom currently has a printer that will print patterns onto fabric if I do it up in Photoshop and everything, which is awesome so I might end up doing that for the side pieces . Thankfully I'm tiny so I wouldn't need the pattern on a lot of fabric haha.
Unread 08-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #13
Rainaan
Captain Giggles

But just in case this doesn't work out-- anyone know any commissioners? haha
Unread 08-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #14
Kelley
Devil of Details

That sounds cool ! You can always use smaller end-length triangles on the sides depending on how wide it can print - and use more to get the same fullness (you could even split the pattern over pieces).

I don't know about just buying it, it depends on budget. It sounds like you have enough skills and resources that to buy something equivalent or better wouldn't be cheap. It depends on what you want and what you'd be happy with.

Actually in the pipes:
Unread 08-21-2013, 08:39 PM   #15
MrGowzy

Hey Guys I've been working on a dress for a while, and my assessor tells me i need to make another one before the end of the year. and i really really want to make Cersei's red dress also, that pattern that was shown would've been perfect, is there somewhere else i can get the same one??
MrGowzy is offline   Reply With Quote