Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Unread 08-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #1
awesomesaucearu

Affordable Sclera contact lenses?

I know it's early, but I'm looking for completely black sclera contacts for a halloween costume this year, but every site I come across is insanely expensive. I'm probably not going to be able to spend more than $30 on them. Does anyone know where I can get them for this much or less, or should I settle on normal black contacts? Thanks in advance.
awesomesaucearu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-27-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
SirWonderusMary
Join the Flock~

In all honesty? I'd try saving up money so you could try getting those insane ones from sites like: http://www.samhaincontactlenses.com/ which has AMAZING contacts but they're expensive with having to buy the contacts one contact per 120+. They do seem totally worth the money. If you absolutely want contacts for Halloween, perhaps get the normal black contacts? I believe in PinkyParadise has pairs from 20+ depending on the lenses. https://www.pinkyparadise.com/cosplay-lenses-s/1922.htm?searching=Y&sort=2&cat=1922&show=15&page= 1
-Metro-con 2015
-AWA 2015

Cosplay List:
-Joker (Black Butler)
-Jack Vessalius (Pandora Hearts)
-Julius Monrey (Alice in the Country of Hearts)
-Aura Blackquill (Ace Attorney)
-Inuyasha

SirWonderusMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #3
o01101011
Just call me Digit

Agreed with above. Sclera contacts are more dangerous than normal, so they have to be much more carefully made thus the price. They're also a specialty product. I wouldnt trust any cheap sclera sellers.

Its just halloween, so why not do full black eyelids and close your eyes for pictures? I'm all for shock effect, but its not always worth the price (monetarily or physical)
o01101011 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 03:31 PM   #4
awesomesaucearu

thanks for the input. I'll probably go with plain black contacts then(I'd also be able to wear them more and longer so theres that). Maybe one day I'll invest in sclera's but I lack the monetary means to do that any time soon.
awesomesaucearu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 05:32 PM   #5
Kelley
Devil of Details

Make sure that you have had a fitting by an optometrist before you get contacts. It's not just about vision correction, it's the shape and size of your eye. If you don't get fitted you risk permanent vision damage including blindness. Seriously not worth it for cosplay.

I think that painting your eyelids is a great idea if you can't afford a fitting right now ! A fitting is going to be $80 on top of the cost of the contacts. Yeah, you might be tempted to skip the fitting if you can find a site that will sell you them without a fitting - but they're taking advantage of you and they don't care if you're injured or go blind - they're using you for a quick profit because they know there are people out there who don't understand the risks. :/

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 03:39 AM   #6
PlaceboFXMakeup

Looks like you've already gotten good info.
Just stay away from 9mmsfx.com. I've ordered from them several times, and their customer service is getting progressively worse, as is their lenses.
I can vouch for Samhain. They're wonderful.
PlaceboFXMakeup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #7
Damien Ferne

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaceboFXMakeup View Post
Looks like you've already gotten good info.
Just stay away from 9mmsfx.com. I've ordered from them several times, and their customer service is getting progressively worse, as is their lenses.
I can vouch for Samhain. They're wonderful.
Oh god, more trouble with 9mmsfx.com....

They sent a faulty lens (didn't put enough water in the vial so it dried out - was coming to the UK as well), and is a battle to get the money back on CC it was paid on. Their customer service is terrible, said the fault was with us (was for my other half), made up a bunch of lies (like how to tell it was faulty)...and it took months for them to even bother contacting. Very rude and really would second staying away from these.

They also marked the parcel down without permission as sample lenses at $10. So if they got lost through the post (worth £400)..wouldn't of been happy.
Unread 09-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #8
Damien Ferne

I've also just been messaged by sfx on this matter, saying how everything I have said above, they apparently would of done the opposite (like offer to replace?) Don't quite understand why they didn't do this back then? I also don't appreciate being asked "Not sure who this is, but..."

I have a name on my profile, if it is concerning something of a business matter, would be polite to use it right?