Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > AnimeFEST

Unread 08-17-2014, 05:16 PM   #1
Shilar

Thoughts on A-fest 2014?

This in and of itself is needed. Basically your overall complaint department, perhaps to help "Anime"fest become a better anime con. Let me start:

Video rooms: Why in the world are we showing American cartoons in an anime convention? Even the small anime cons (*cough cough* TexanCon) show at the most "Disney" anime (aka Princess Mononoke). Even worse, you're showing this at Prime time, aka the time for older teens/young adults. Show the kid's stuff in the morning, teens afternoon, and older teens/adult around 6-7pm (stuff like Hellsing Ultimate).

Dealer's Room: It seems that despite a better arrangment, there was a noticable lack of certain dealers, mainly cutom figurines, video games, and older anime (last year I found the Dirty Pair here). It was good to see Funimation in there however. Also, how about more than one entrance so there isn't a line just to get in?

Con elevators: Where were the "hall monitors?" It's difficult to get up to your room from the lobby when everyone was loading up on the second floor.

Dances/Raves: Heard a lot of complaints about having a lot of people in one spot on the second floor. They danced, and swore the floor was moving.

Am I going to A-fest next time? Doubtful. This is the second year I've been disappointed, and because I have been going since 2001, I gave a second chance. Nothing against the con staff (who are still quite the awesome group), but I will most likely look to another con or two in 2015.

/Anything I forget, or you had an issue with? Please reply.
Shilar is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-18-2014, 05:30 PM   #2
Sinnocent
Sinful Innocence

I agree so much about the hall monitors. We were coming down the elevator trying to get to the first floor, and about 10 people forced their way in on the second floor even though we were going down (which we told them) so when we got to the first floor we had to shove our way through (because of course they forced us into the very back corners) and no one would move or temporarily get out so we could exit.

As far as your dealers complaint, I actually saw quite a bit of older animes (not sure what you consider 'older' but I'd say 10+ years) but I know our table alone had Lupin the 3rd, Yu Yu Hakusho, 90's Sailor Moon merch, Rozen Maiden, and a few other older series. I do however agree about the lack of video games, there was one entire table that was selling nothing but BOARD games, but I never saw any video games, but then again I wasn't seriously looking for them, I just didn't notice any. And as far as custom figurines, I'm not 100% sure what you mean by that, but if you mean like fully custom built and painted, then that's because they aren't allowed. Unless they are licensed products or you have an entire business only making custom figures (and even that might be pushing it) they aren't allowed in the dealers room, so you might have had better luck with the artist alley for stuff like that.

As for the convention itself, I don't have much to say, I didn't attend any panels or raves or anything, I was working a table in the dealers room all weekend ... but I can say that I was extremely disappointed in the cosplay contest. I didn't attend, but I heard from a few people that there was a massive decrease in the number of entrants. I'm not sure why this was, but I figured changing the day the contest is held on would improve the contest.

Upcoming Conventions

AnimeFEST
Friday: ChiChi (Dragonball Z) Saturday: Nico Robin (One Piece)
Sunday: Princess Aurora (Sleeping Beauty) Monday: Original Design Moon Dress

DCC - Fan Days
Friday: Engineer (Star Trek) Saturday: Julia (Cowboy Bebop)
Sunday: Original Design Moon Dress

+2 (maybe 3) more later this year
Sinnocent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2014, 01:05 PM   #3
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

Just to throw in my two cents on the Video rooms (I was a volunteer for vid): the schedules were done intentionally like that to deter the teens/young adults from "getting it on" during those times in the video rooms.

Only issues I had were people who would congregate in large groups in walkways, and all but one of the dealers I purchased things from were on their phone/tablet IGNORING CUSTOMERS. I was disappointed that the one dealer I was looking for wasn't there this year.

Thank you for completely removing my signature without emailing me that it was too long.

Last edited by ThakYuki : 08-19-2014 at 01:26 PM.
ThakYuki is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2014, 06:25 PM   #4
CoralSnake
NIP AND TUCK

man. I don't really have many complaints. I agree that there should've been SOMEONE monitoring the elevators. I know people probably think it was awesome, but it's NOT awesome to get on a dark elevator with complete strangers because IDIOTS removed the lightbulbs. Stuff like that will probably deter the Sheraton from wanting any cons using them.

I was actually VERY surprised that there was SO many people. The artist alley had me spending close to $100. I never do that. I NEVER find anything I want and this year, I had to actually pick and choose. Bless you amazing awesome artist *U*

Also, the FOOD TRUCKS. OMG. You have NO IDEA how happy I was to be able to purchase Thai Tea.. I probably spent like $25 at that truck... SO GOOD.

And the dealers room... was lacking to me? I mean I was looking for probably way too specific things xD but there could've been a LOT more One Piece merch... WHICH WAS GOOD in a way because I spent SO MUCH in the artist alley I didn't really buy anything in the dealers room xDDD

All in all, I would go back a million times over, but not if it's back to being on Labor Day weekend. My sis and I work at a job that you can't take off holidays, so this was a rare amazing little trip for us ;u; we hadn't been in 6 years!

Izumicon 2014
--Not sure if I can go but I really want to. Not sure on cosplay yet though

Tokyo in Tulsa 2015
-- SOMETHING MECHA
CoralSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2014, 07:49 PM   #5
Sinnocent
Sinful Innocence

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralSnake View Post
...but there could've been a LOT more One Piece merch...

My sis and I work at a job that you can't take off holidays, so this was a rare amazing little trip for us ;u; we hadn't been in 6 years!
You forgot to stop by our booth!! We had a ton of One Piece stuff XD

And AF is going back to being on Labor Day weekend next year, just so you know.

Upcoming Conventions

AnimeFEST

DCC - Fan Days

Unread 08-19-2014, 09:38 PM   #6
aztexkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinnocent View Post
You forgot to stop by our booth!! We had a ton of One Piece stuff XD

And AF is going back to being on Labor Day weekend next year, just so you know.
But it WILL NOT be on Labor day weekend for 2016 or 2017.

2008 -A-Kon 19: Rude - Final Fantasy
ANIMEfest: Rude - Final Fantasy, Ikkaku Madarame - Bleach
2009- A-Kon 20 - ghosted Sat.
ANIMEfest: Rude, Yasu (NANA), Ikkaku, TMCC Masquerade Ball Security Staff
2010-ANIMEfest: Watari (Death Note) TMCC Masquerade Ball Security Staff
2012- A-Kon 23: Watari
aztexkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2014, 02:17 PM   #7
NeonBasho
Anime Geek

This was my third year in a row attending Animefest and I can't say I have many complaints about the con save for the dark elevators that were mentioned earlier. I noticed that there was a lot more people at the con on Friday than there has been the last two times I attended.
NeonBasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2014, 04:06 PM   #8
Sinnocent
Sinful Innocence

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztexkid View Post
But it WILL NOT be on Labor day weekend for 2016 or 2017.
Oh really? I didn't know that, do you know when it'll be on those years?

Upcoming Conventions

AnimeFEST

DCC - Fan Days