Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Fan Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

Fan Expo 2013: Reports / Photo links / Feedback

Well since it seems that a lot of costumers (from cos.com) are not attending Fanexpo anymore. I felt kind of lonely not bumping into people this year over the past 4 days (first year every doing all 4 days!)

The North building floors 100 and 200 where being used for almost all the panels and they did a good job with shuttling people from the South to the North build floor 200 just fine.

My beef was from going from the North building to the South you had to go through the hole 100 floor dealers/autograph section through a winder path past the display and all the dealers to get to the escalator for the bridged to the south build.

I feel like they' where forcing you in there to make sure there was body traffic. >_>

^ This was my only Beef as some panels are in the south build and some where in the North Build so I have to move it rather fast to get to back to back ones all day on Saturday and Sunday.

Over all the only floor that felt crowded on the Saturday was the dealers floors in the south Building. I didn't feel overwhelmed at all that day.

Sun media has a few photo's up.
http://www.owensoundsuntimes.com/201...po-canada-2013

Me on the Friday
http://storage.canoe.ca/v1/dynamic_r...=1377294014172

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!

Last edited by WARPAINTandUnicorns : 08-27-2013 at 09:52 AM.
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #2
EmeraldArcher

I felt pretty much the same. I thought some of the security were taking there jobs a little to seriously but over all I think they are starting to see where we have all been coming from with the way they have run it in past years.
Unread 08-26-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
Kisshu-Cutie
Prince of cuteness!>3

My pictures from the weekend not a lot but its still something~
https://www.facebook.com/CainenCress... 49975&type=1

HELLO

Anime North 2012

Alucard/Girlycard from Hellsing {85.5%}

Riku/ Kurix Nobody from Kingdom Hearts 80%

Train HeartNet from Black Cat
Kisshu-Cutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
ndn

I feel the opposite... that security wasn't taking their jobs seriously enough. I know how that must sound. Allow me to explain.
On Saturday I was taking a photo of the 501st's assembly on the 700 level. Security came around and had a kiniption. The guy, if you had the misfortune of encountering him, was the big guy with the ponytail. He was a "yellow jacket" and appeared to be the 'lord of the 600 level' usually hovering by the escalators that take you to the 700 level.

There was a good number of us taking photos of the 501st's assembly. People started to make two lines, one behind the other, and 'lord 600' started yelling at people telling them that only one line against the rail was permitted. anyone else would have to move along. People did, and a new group came along.

This is where my opinion differs from above....

At this point... Mr. 600 yells at people again, this time making threats of being ejected from the expo if they don't move. Once they are gone, he starts yelling at the people who are at the rail (by this point, I've moved away from the rail to allow others to take photos, my partner now at the rail, I'm waiting on the main level) and he shouts to the people whom are single fine along the rail, as is permitted under fire code, and his own (by this point) repeated statements - that if *they* did not keep people from standing two deep, and told people to move along, that THEY would be ejected from the expo as well.

Now, I get it. The security guard is frustrated. The guard who *was* in the immediate area beforehand went on break (I had spoken with her briefly, and she had mentioned that they werent getting their breaks on time, everything was late), and now lord 600 has to come and cover the area for the employee on break... his day is hard, and hes tired... but I dont feel that there was any reason to make threats (realistically enforceable or not), and to expect the people who paid money to attend this event to do their job for them? that is absolutely asinine.
This Guy was not taking his job seriously enough.... Security is not just about enforcing rules, there is an expectation of doing so with dignity and respect. This lacked both. It was lazy, threatening, non-enforceable (to those following the one to the rail rule certainly), and a sad example of how poorly people can behave when put in put in positions of authority - even if it is only a minimal authority.

I must also say that this one guy was the exception to the norm that I observed. I have worked security and Private investigation in my own past, and took the opportunity to talk with the security people when they were free or not overwhelmed (as many were much of the time at key points). Most were fantastic. I observed more poor behaviour from visitors towards security than I did conversely. One young lady in particular was quite rude to security personnel when he had offered to open up the double doors from the vendors area on the top floor of the north tower to the escalators which lead to the passage to the south tower. She had sworn at him, made rude gestures... I mean the guy was just being nice and offering to help.. she had an elaborate outfit, and accessories - and was having trouble getting through the door with her things and outfit... Once she was through (one door, having clearly refused his offer of unlocking the other) security personnel was good natured enough to shrug it off, and even shook his head and smiled a bit. Several other people following the lady mentioned above had commented to the guard and offered condolences of sorts, and more specifically - support.

These guys and girls are just doing a job - it sucks sometimes. but everyone needs to have more control over themselves at times. staff and visitors.
Overall I had a great time, I just felt the need to comment about security.
ndn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
Masenkohuh
McGyver with fabric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani_BEE View Post
Well since it seems that a lot of costumers (from cos.com) are not attending Fanexpo anymore. I felt kind of lonely not bumping into people this year over the past 4 days (first year every doing all 4 days!)

The North building floors 100 and 200 where being used for almost all the panels and they did a good job with shuttling people from the South to the North build floor 200 just fine.

My beef was from going from the North building to the South you had to go through the hole 100 floor dealers/autograph section through a winder path past the display and all the dealers to get to the escalator for the bridged to the south build.

I feel like they' where forcing you in there to make sure there was body traffic. >_>

^ This was my only Beef as some panels are in the south build and some where in the North Build so I have to move it rather fast to get to back to back ones all day on Saturday and Sunday.

Over all the only floor that felt crowded on the Saturday was the dealers floors in the south Building. I didn't feel overwhelmed at all that day.

Sun media has a few photo's up.
http://www.owensoundsuntimes.com/201...po-canada-2013

Me
http://storage.canoe.ca/v1/dynamic_r...=1377294014172
Hey ani_bee congrats on making the paper!
I felt the same too. I didn't see alot of people I recognised from on here, I think I saw a few though. At times shuttling between buildings made me feel like cattle, but oh well, it was still fun!
Here's a link to my pictures: https://www.facebook.com/amber.ellis...1 0462&type=3
WIPS: Medusa-Soul eater (10% done), Steampunk automaton-Own Creation (30% done) Belle- Once upon a time (planning)
Masenkohuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 04:35 PM   #6
carma_bee

there was one security guy i really liked who was very nice and enthusiastic and seemed to actually get what we were there for, instead of most other other security people who hardly had any idea what was going on. i wish i'd seen him later on so i could tell him that he was doing a great job.

still gotta go through all my pics and stuff so i'll be back later

2014 Plans
S7B Eleventh Doctor 90% done
Alison Hendrix (Orphan Black) 100% done!!
Winter Soldier 85% Done

Fan Expo 2014
Thurs: Alison Hendrix
Fri: Clara Oswald
Sat: 7B Eleven
Sun: Winter Soldier
carma_bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 06:44 PM   #7
Ferenik
Prop builder in-training

Friday and Sturday http://imgur.com/a/6iGZz
Ferenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 07:46 PM   #8
Gohan Som

I thought it was very well run this year. Everyone was very nice and friendly. I would like to see more regular discussion panels similar to AN but I understand that they don't have a lot of room.

Also not sure if this is where you request photos but thought I might give this a shot. I was dressed as Ash (pokemon/evil dead crossover) and I'm pretty sure that only one person took an official picture of me but if anyone has any I'd love it thanks.
Gohan Som is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 07:46 PM   #9
casraecal
Cass

You never forget your first... Fan Expo

Wow so this was my very first year. How have I never gone to this before!!!
First time cosplayer too! I was super nervous about my costume, as I have heard some people can be pretty mean and it being my first attempt i was iffy on if it would be up to par. The result It went fantastic! I had so many complements and people wanting my picture. I honestly am already planing next year.
I have some photos, feel free to tag yourself if you see you ( not a lot sorry)
https://www.facebook.com/casraecal/m...00979& type=3

I have heard mention about the "yellow jackets" and I found them to be either incredibly horrible at even existing in the building, security should be able to answer basic questions like "does this escalator that has a sign that says street next to take me out of the expo?"
to the other extreme of yelling a small girl that obviously look lost on the balcony of the north building.

All in all will most defiantly be going back next year!!
casraecal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #10
rankin24
PirateHime!

I don't have many up, but here's mine

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=c4687acf19
Mavis Vermillion; Fairy Tail
rankin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 09:04 PM   #11
SuperBee
Jill of all trades

I only went Saturday, and did not cosplay for various reasons. Not that anyone on here would recognize me anyway.

I enjoyed it, The line was a bit overwhelming but moved quickly to pick up my passes. All the "free" stuff was swamped. Um, very large, I didn't get to see my friend, though he did to well in the masquerade I am told (I didn't stay long enough for that). The round about way from north to south buildings was annoying, and it didn't help that people on the escalators were very rude as I was having issues with my knee at that point. Arrow guy was sick in the morning with food poisoning so I didn't get my picture with him, but for sure did with Castle.

Lots to look at, almost too much. When I had to go back to the north building I was nervous because the line for the escalators were long and I needed to get back for my photo op time, then I was pointed to the elevators (again I was limping and a kind security guard pointed it out). Though a guy taking the elevators was all like "they passed fire code, they are slowing closing the buildings before everyone has to vacate out". Not helpful as I was nervous already. The autograph area was crowed and deterred me from getting any.

I possibly would go again.

Giant Diglett will return!

Possible Future Cosplays:
-Zapdos Original design (humanoid)
-Unown Original design (humanoid)
-Giant Gastly
-Marika Kato - Pirate Captain
SuperBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 09:52 PM   #12
musicalcats
Mars Fire Ignite

My photos, not a lot:
https://www.facebook.com/despetri/media_set?set=a.10200348119761880.1073741843.11213 30700&type=3
Amber and Cassandra, your photos are not working. Maybe put them on public?
I was Sailor Jupiter on Sunday and my friend was Serena/Usagi (Sunday) & Lacus Clynne (Saturday). If you have any pictures please let me know, thanks. ^_^
Tellu (Sailor Moon) (Sunday)
My cosplay page:
musicalcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 01:43 AM   #13
seiryuux
Cosplay Chameleon

First, here are my albums:

Day 1
Day 2
Day 3
Day 4

I cosplayed as the following for each day:

Thursday - Johnny Gat (Saints Row)
Friday - Kyo Kusanagi (King of Fighters ['99-2002 outfit]), The Master [End of Time outfit] (Doctor Who)
Saturday - Igor (Persona), The Master/Mr. Saxon (Doctor Who)
Sunday - Johnny Gat, Captain Jack Harkness (Doctor Who/Torchwood)

I'll write up something longer another time.

Facebook
Fanfiction.net - Persona 3 Portable: Where No Persona Has Gone Before

Last edited by seiryuux : 08-31-2013 at 01:05 AM.
seiryuux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 08:44 AM   #14
casraecal
Cass

Quote:
Amber and Cassandra, your photos are not working. Maybe put them on public?
Album is fixed now, thanks for letting me know. Also not sure if anyone on here was at the Colin Baker panel but just before it we did a huge doctor who group shot looking for anyone that might have pictures of it.
casraecal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #15
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

So what did people buy this year?
I got 2 necklaces once begin a watch from the dealers room and the other a blue fish bowl from artist alley.
1 ring with a micro cupcake on it from another Artist.
2 Soul Gems, Mami and Madoka.
FUNKO POP FIGURES of Ursala & Ariel set in metallic, Mini set Jack & Oogie Boogie, and Maleficent. I wanted to get the Evil Queen and Merida but ran out of physical cash on Sunday when buying them. lol

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote