Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-01-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
Kamikaze Kay

Sake

I'm always willing to try new alcohol, maybe stumbling across something I'll end up liking, but I'm pretty unaware of what to start on with Sake. I want to say I'm pretty particular about what I like. I've tried alot of different beers, but all ended up being pretty gross. It's the basic beer taste I have trouble with and I think it's similar with the one sake I tried. It needs to be a rather standout type of drink.

Normally I just drink hard alcohol like rum or vodka mixed into something or Baileys if I want something truly delicious, but I like to try something different if I can.

I mostly ask for sake, because there's this nice little asian market nearby with alot of different asian items, though alot of Japanese items in particular and has a number of sake drinks and what looked like plum wine drinks. Pricey stuff for the sizes they come in lol

If anyone has any recommendations, I'd really appreciate it, and we can use the thread to discuss sake and other similar drinks if we'd like. Sorta gotta pulled into trying out Sake again with all the talk about it in Moyashimon that I started watching lol Good chance sake isn't for me, but never hurts to try something new.

*EDIT*
No go on the Ozeki Sake Pure: Junmai Sake I tried. I guess it'a dry sake and it was just, blurgh. Not off to a good start and I feel like it could be over with already lol

Last edited by Kamikaze Kay : 09-01-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Kamikaze Kay is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-01-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
belligerent
Viking Metal

Supposedly if you warm bad sake, it tastes better.

I mostly use it for cooking. I think mostly I buy Gekkeikan although I'm not sure what I have right now. A couple different grades.

I've never really tried to drink it.

Most of what I drink is warm vodka, lol.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago

Last edited by belligerent : 09-01-2013 at 09:31 PM.
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 09:47 PM   #3
PrincessKaori87
Caffeine addict

My husband and I had this one:

We cooked with ours too. I think it goes very well with fried fish. Especially when you mix a bit of the sake into the batter.

Me on Twitter
Me on deviantART
Me on Facebook
PrincessKaori87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #4
belligerent
Viking Metal

I tried both of the ones I had.

Gekkeikan Silver- NOT BAD. I don't know that i'd drink a lot of this but it's not bad.

Gekkaikan Black and Gold- I think this one is more expensive. Had slightly more alcohol taste to it.

Now I am drinking a carlsberg because the Danish know their fucking beer.

What you should drink is hard cider. I recommend Angry Orchard uhhh ginger something or other. It's good.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
Unread 09-01-2013, 11:09 PM   #5
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

My best advice with sake - read the bottle. If it suggests serving it chilled, drink it chilled. If it says warm, warm it up. Room temp sake isn't my favorite.

Also, it's STRONG. Be careful.
It's also the best and most effective way to get me super drunk super fast.
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 11:18 PM   #6
belligerent
Viking Metal

Quote:
super drunk super fast.
SOLD.
Unread 09-02-2013, 08:31 AM   #7
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

Try nigori sake if you can find it. It's unfiltered and cloudy with suspended rice; it's sweeter than filtered sake and has a silky texture I like a lot. It's a great style for sake beginners.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #8
Kamikaze Kay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
Try nigori sake if you can find it. It's unfiltered and cloudy with suspended rice; it's sweeter than filtered sake and has a silky texture I like a lot. It's a great style for sake beginners.
I'll give that a try as a sweeter taste might help.
Kamikaze Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 02:29 PM   #9
MoradoFlower
Stephanie-Lynn

Totally off topic, but since you said you like to try new things, try this:
http://koreanfood.about.com/od/drinks/r/Yogurtsoju.htm

it's absolutely delicious.
Soju Yogurt Drink
Amazingggg

*Mallow (Mario RPG)
*Sylveon (Pokemon; Gijinka)
MoradoFlower is offline   Reply With Quote