Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Steampunk

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
scifipanthera

How do I make a Steampunk Costume?

I was watching an episode of Syfy's Cosplay and saw a few steampunk costumes, I then saw the same thing while watching an episode of "Castle" with Nathan Fallion. In both of these episodes I saw beautiful and creative Steampunk Costumes and it got me thinking...how do I make one of those with what is in my closet?

I'm not sure what to put into it as I am on a budget of $30 and I need to make it appropriate to be worn around elementary school children. My Halloween costume this year will be Steampunk as I have outworn my Renaissance Dress....four years of changing it into different things.

I have the following items for the costume already put aside:
1. Fedora Hat
2. Midrift long sleeve black coat
3. High heal shoes

All are black and I was thinking of adding in a black tank top underneath but am unsure of how to make those four things into a Steampunk influence outfit.

If you have any ideas please let me know....oh I do not sew! The most I have sewn is my daughter's school patches onto her uniforms so little things like that I can do.

Thank you in advance....I am now realizing how much harder this is then I thought seeing as I wish this to be used for more than one year plus conventions in my area.
scifipanthera is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-05-2013, 09:55 PM   #2
Ron Jr

Just glue some gears on it and call it steampunk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFCuE5rHbPA
Ron Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #3
Ironhill

I'm guessing you are a teacher or teaching aide. Try checking out the local thrift or second hand stores. These are good places to look for items.

Usually, if I want to make an outfit, I start with a persona. What does she do for a living, what kind of tools would she use, what is her background and education. With this information you can start thinking of what accessories she would have. Combine it with trips to the flea markets and thrift stores and you are on the way to complating your outfit.
Ironhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
hardlec

I would look for a "top hat" instead of a fedora. Fedora hats are icons of the 40's. I have three in different colors. As it is near Halloween, some medium quality hats are available for $10.00 or so.

Michaels craft stores carry packs of nice gears. They have other "industrial" bling.

Try to get some goggles.
hardlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 09:22 PM   #5
CrapFaceNinja
So Say We All

Steampunk video

This is a great video for steampunk beginners. I love these girls

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LISvE56druU
CrapFaceNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jr View Post
Just glue some gears on it and call it steampunk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFCuE5rHbPA
I could slap you. Even if you did mean it as a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhill View Post
I'm guessing you are a teacher or teaching aide. Try checking out the local thrift or second hand stores. These are good places to look for items.

Usually, if I want to make an outfit, I start with a persona. What does she do for a living, what kind of tools would she use, what is her background and education. With this information you can start thinking of what accessories she would have. Combine it with trips to the flea markets and thrift stores and you are on the way to complating your outfit.
I agree; 2nd hand stores are great for cosplay period. However, you should know want to look for first. Here is a thread that's a good start: http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=320048&page=2. It is interesting to note that Thomas Willeford of Steampunk: Gear, Gadgets, and Gizmos is the person who make the Steampunk Arm and other items for the Castle episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardlec View Post
I would look for a "top hat" instead of a fedora. Fedora hats are icons of the 40's. I have three in different colors. As it is near Halloween, some medium quality hats are available for $10.00 or so.

Michaels craft stores carry packs of nice gears. They have other "industrial" bling.

Try to get some goggles.
I found out a few weeks ago that Bowler Hats are VERY Victorian Era. Why were invented in like the 1840's by a gatekeeper so that gentlemen wouldn't lose there Top Hats will riding. The round crown was suppose to deflect branches and not catch them like a top hat. By the 1860's every well dress man of the city had one. So, that is another option.
Unread 09-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #7
scifipanthera

Thanks all....I already got the whole costume made thanks to some people over on the Steampunk Empire website. Even have a persona....
scifipanthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
Ironhill

Can you post some pictures?
Ironhill is offline   Reply With Quote