Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Others

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #16
poskii

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnarCHris View Post
My wife and I NEVER had a problem when we were in costume at MAGfest, so no worries on that front. I know the Cosplay Rost can get a little brutal at times, but it's a roast, so it's kinda expected. But the MAGfest cosplay scene is growing, and it's nice overall, just be careful come night time when the attendees begin drinking and get a little rowdy.

As for Katsu, I went for nearly a decade straight, and am done with that show. They've done a fine job of upsetting management, and this past year was kinda a mess.
I see! That was all I was worried about, honestly. I find roasts hilarious, even if it's directed towards me. I'll be cosplaying with my friend this year (Elizabeth and Booker) and hopefully they won't be too harsh on him. He's never been a part of a roast of any kind, so I am not sure how he will take it, but he is a very joking guy so I am sure he will be alright. c: He cosplayed the other year, apparently, and got nothing but compliments so hopefully he will be met with the same kindness. Yeah, I noticed how crazy things got when people got a little too liquor happy and started playing competitive games.

I see! Is Katsucn a convention you would actually recommend? Or should I put my money towards something else? Lately I've only been hearing is bad things about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghai View Post
So, more importantly... Has anyone had any luck getting a room for MAGfest this year? You can only reserve the room for one night at the Gaylord it seems, and the marriott across the street only has king sizes as well =\.
We are staying at the Residence Hotel that is literally right across the street. We booked too late this year to actually stay at the Gaylord. If you check around the forums (on MAGFest) you might find someone with open rooms, as in giving them up. If you cannot find anything, I would recommend the Holiday Inn or Residence. We stayed in Residence before (not during a con) and it was great. c: Although, that was at the beginning of this year so I can only hope their service doesn't go down the drain.
poskii is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-20-2013, 08:23 PM   #17
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
So, more importantly... Has anyone had any luck getting a room for MAGfest this year? You can only reserve the room for one night at the Gaylord it seems, and the marriott across the street only has king sizes as well =\.
I booked the Gaylord the day it opened, so no idea. The place across the street is dope though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poskii View Post
I see! That was all I was worried about, honestly. I find roasts hilarious, even if it's directed towards me. I'll be cosplaying with my friend this year (Elizabeth and Booker) and hopefully they won't be too harsh on him. He's never been a part of a roast of any kind, so I am not sure how he will take it, but he is a very joking guy so I am sure he will be alright. c: He cosplayed the other year, apparently, and got nothing but compliments so hopefully he will be met with the same kindness. Yeah, I noticed how crazy things got when people got a little too liquor happy and started playing competitive games.

I see! Is Katsucn a convention you would actually recommend? Or should I put my money towards something else? Lately I've only been hearing is bad things about it.
Unless you're super into spending more money and anime, avoid Katsu if you're doing MAGfest. The con itself is pretty beat at this point.

As for the Cosplay Roast, I'm not even sure if it's back this year or not, and I don't bother with it. So if you don't want to risk it, don't, it's not like you're missing much I imagine.

Also ironically, my wife and I are doing as BSI group!

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis

Last edited by TheAnarCHris : 10-20-2013 at 08:29 PM.
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 10:10 PM   #18
poskii

Quote:
Unless you're super into spending more money and anime, avoid Katsu if you're doing MAGfest. The con itself is pretty beat at this point.

As for the Cosplay Roast, I'm not even sure if it's back this year or not, and I don't bother with it. So if you don't want to risk it, don't, it's not like you're missing much I imagine.

Also ironically, my wife and I are doing as BSI group!
I see! Well, then, I will probably give up on Katsu for now. c: I see! I was going to be a part of it just because I think it is fun but I might just skip out on that and just enjoy the rest of the con.

Really? Wonderful! I would love to meet up for some pictures. c: I am slowly gathering a collection of cosplayer photos for a scrapbook. cx
poskii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 11:10 PM   #19
Ghai

I've enjoyed Katsu in the past, but it's almost solely a social cosplay get together. Pannels clash too much, the gaming room was never that inviting, and improvising seems to be the strong point of the management. Also, I'd be lying if I wasn't still a bit bitter over this year's Katsu. But again, if mingling and awesome cosplaying is your thing, Katsucon is usually on point with that =]

I'm gonna call the Gaylord and see if I can't work something, but I think we'll just go across the street.
Ghai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #20
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by poskii View Post
I see! Well, then, I will probably give up on Katsu for now. c: I see! I was going to be a part of it just because I think it is fun but I might just skip out on that and just enjoy the rest of the con.

Really? Wonderful! I would love to meet up for some pictures. c: I am slowly gathering a collection of cosplayer photos for a scrapbook. cx
If you're local to the area, Katsu would be okay for a day trip, but I wouldnt spent cash money on it. Where as MAGFest is worth at least being there for 3.5 days. Thursday starts off a tad slow, lol.

And poke me as the con gets closer. My wife works the Vendor's hall, but we'll have some downtime. We also have to see when our photog is getting in. But I'm not opposed to meeting up/

Quote:
I've enjoyed Katsu in the past, but it's almost solely a social cosplay get together. Pannels clash too much, the gaming room was never that inviting, and improvising seems to be the strong point of the management. Also, I'd be lying if I wasn't still a bit bitter over this year's Katsu. But again, if mingling and awesome cosplaying is your thing, Katsucon is usually on point with that =]

I'm gonna call the Gaylord and see if I can't work something, but I think we'll just go across the street.
If you talk to the Gaylord, see if they'd be willing to give you the MFest rates. Otherwise you'll be spending WAYYYYYYYYY more money than you should for a room.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
Unread 10-31-2013, 11:47 AM   #21
Seven
(Neoqueenhoneybee)

Anyone cosplaying N from Pokemon? Just finished my Snivy for my Hilda cosplay!

Working On:
Leen (Grandia)
Goku Nami (One Piece DBZ Crossover)
Nico Robin (One Piece Water 7)
Elesa (Pokemon B/W)

In Queue:
Mei (Pokemon B/W 2)
Panne (Fire Emblem Awakening)
Illumi (HunterxHunter)
Janice (Chrono Cross)
Mir (Ar Tonelico)
Toph (ATLA Old Friends)
Solid Snake Lolita (Beat Down Boogie)
Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 02:59 PM   #22
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
Anyone cosplaying N from Pokemon? Just finished my Snivy for my Hilda cosplay!
I have!
http://www.acparadise.com/ace/display.php?c=51219
Not sure what/when/if I'm rolling anything Poke for MAGfest though.

Unread 11-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #23
Seven
(Neoqueenhoneybee)

Quote:
I have!
http://www.acparadise.com/ace/display.php?c=51219
Not sure what/when/if I'm rolling anything Poke for MAGfest though.
Oh wow! Well, if you plan on bringing N to MAGFest, let me know.

Working On:
Leen (Grandia)
Goku Nami (One Piece DBZ Crossover)
Nico Robin (One Piece Water 7)
Elesa (Pokemon B/W)

In Queue:
Mei (Pokemon B/W 2)
Panne (Fire Emblem Awakening)
Illumi (HunterxHunter)
Janice (Chrono Cross)
Mir (Ar Tonelico)
Toph (ATLA Old Friends)
Solid Snake Lolita (Beat Down Boogie)
Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #24
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
Oh wow! Well, if you plan on bringing N to MAGFest, let me know.
Of course! I know Poke'-plots are happen, we just gotta figure out to what extent and when

Unread 11-09-2013, 11:06 PM   #25
Adagio

Less than 60 days left til MAGFest !!! Possibly my favorite fest/con/nerd gathering of the year I'll be Smithy from Mario RPG (any fans?) but genderbent version and possibly a Banette if I have time to make it :3
Adagio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 08:20 AM   #26
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Badge preordered, room obviously confirmed, still trying to work out how I'm getting there, and figuring out what exactly is going on cosplay-wise. Leon is done, Saints Row stuff is being bought this weekend, Booker stuff to be bought next weekend, and Poke-stuf is TBD. Super excited for the 2014 show, as we're definetly getting our table top/CAH on as well.

Unread 11-13-2013, 11:59 PM   #27
Ghai

Due to school and what not, I'll probably just pull my Classic Scorpion outfit out for MAG. But, got the room, got the badges, got the special shirt, now it's just the waiting game.

Granted, would love to be in shape for Shao Khan or Jago by the time, but we'll see.
Unread 11-14-2013, 08:58 AM   #28
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Due to school and what not, I'll probably just pull my Classic Scorpion outfit out for MAG. But, got the room, got the badges, got the special shirt, now it's just the waiting game.

Granted, would love to be in shape for Shao Khan or Jago by the time, but we'll see.
You guys end up across the street from the Gaylord I assume?

Unread 11-15-2013, 12:24 AM   #29
Ghai

Yeah. Great pricing, plenty of space, and right across the street. As much as I enjoy having a room in the Gaylord (especially the atrium rooms) I'm good for saving money and still being right there.
Unread 11-15-2013, 08:47 AM   #30
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Yeah. Great pricing, plenty of space, and right across the street. As much as I enjoy having a room in the Gaylord (especially the atrium rooms) I'm good for saving money and still being right there.
Yeah, and unless you're dying to go to the Club or Fitness Area in the Gaylord, you're really not missing much by staying across the street.