Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 09-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
ImpossibleGirl

Dried Mud makeup

A local dance company I design makeup for would like to do a dried mud effect (that won't flake off on stage, so actual dried mud is out). They are going for a look along the lines of Anthony Hopkins on the Titus Andronicus poster:
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm33491891...6?ref_=tt_ov_i

Any ideas?
ImpossibleGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
Rukeya

You could always get some brownish water activated cake makeup. Instead of making it opaque by layering it, just put on one or two streaky layers.
Not sure if you'll get the effect you're going for (since I've never intentionally done it), but it'll dry out on your skin and look like poop. You can also get the discolored splotches that the picture shows by lightly pressing a damp sponge to what you've already painted on your face (since it's water activated and all that).

Another option could be mixing liquid latex with the color of choice and slopping that on your face - but that will peel and have chunks.
Rukeya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
spookehdoom
Batz. Batz O'Hell.

Depending on the color, you could use a clay face mask.XD Queen Helene has an English Mud mask that comes out brown and dries a lighter shade of brown. You can just wash it off after and its nice for skin too.

It will flake a little, looks kind of like dandruff, when the face moves and it peels a little at the edges.

Alternative dyes (Manic Panic, Special Effects) are vegetable dyes and stain. They are not water-based. Don't want to see your hair stained later on? Don't do it.
spookehdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 07:25 PM   #4
Sweet Loretta

Yes use clay meant for facial masks and body socking. I've used different clays depending on the color and look. like amount of cracking effect I want. However most clays aka mud will flake off....not so much as to be a bother...but...as you see on Hopkins the effect is thin.

In order to not use clay mud you will have to go to to an FX product like silicone or even Zombie Skin which is an FX latex product to create that look....much more work but doable.

Face and Body Artist
www.sweet-loretta.com

Face and Body Art Makeup & Supplies
The Painted Navel : Extreme Makeup FX
www.extrememakeupfx.com
Mort's Morgue & FX Emporium
http://mortsmorgue.com
Sweet Loretta is offline   Reply With Quote