Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-07-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
LaserLace

Frizzy wig ends?

Hi! So, I'm working on my first cosplay(s), and I'm having some wig problems! I don't have any experience with wigs, and my grandmother's been helping me with it (she knows a lot about wigs), but even she can't figure out how to do this! The ends of the wig are really frizzy, and they won't smooth like the rest of the wig. The end aren't tangled, just really frizzy! I've heard of the "hot water method" before, but I wasn't sure exactly what it was, or if I could even use the method, because I'm pretty sure the wig isn't heat resistant. The wig itself is long and black, it's for a Vriska Serket cosplay. Any help is appreciated!
LaserLace is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-07-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

People were using the hot water method before heat-resistant wigs became commonplace. I've done it a bunch of times on kanekalon and Eleora wigs, which are not heat-resistant fibers.

Whether it will work depends on the quality of your wig. If you have at least a decent quality synthetic wig (say, a New Look or Sepia wig, etc) this will work. If you got a really cheap, shitty wig like from a party store, you'll fry and/or melt it.

What you do is take hot water and gently pour it over the wig. Wig fibers are basically just plastic, so they can be permanently shaped by heat. (They work differently from human-hair wigs. You didn't say what kind of wig experience your grandmother has, but I figured I'd throw that out there just in case.)

When you pour hot water over the wig, the heat relaxes the fibers and manipulates the shape. The weight of the water being pulled down by gravity pulls the fibers straight, and the heat is what makes the shape "stay".

Two notes:
- Hot tap water will NOT work; it's not hot enough. You need to heat water over a stove or burner until it's about 180 degrees. I use a big spaghetti pot for heating, a pitcher for pouring over the wig, and a meat thermometer for checking temperature.
- DO NOT just dump water on top of the wig. This will flatten the crown fibers. You need to gently pour the water around the edge of the crown so that you're really just getting the sides and back of the wig.

I do tend to end up with a few stray frizzy or kinked fibers with this method, but otherwise it made the wig stick straight. I can't guarantee this will work to eliminate your frizz since I don't know what your wig is made out of.

I don't know your character and you didn't post any reference pics, but FYI: this approach will take out ALL wave, curl, and style in your wig. If you only need to treat the ends and this is NOT a straight wig, then you can pour the water directly onto the ends of the wig where you need to straighten it. Alternatively, you could try bringing the pot of water to the wig and dipping the fiber ends into the pot, swishing them around, and then letting it hang dry, but I'm not sure how effective it will be.

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.
Evil Bishounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
LaserLace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Bishounen View Post
People were using the hot water method before heat-resistant wigs became commonplace. I've done it a bunch of times on kanekalon and Eleora wigs, which are not heat-resistant fibers.

Whether it will work depends on the quality of your wig. If you have at least a decent quality synthetic wig (say, a New Look or Sepia wig, etc) this will work. If you got a really cheap, shitty wig like from a party store, you'll fry and/or melt it.

What you do is take hot water and gently pour it over the wig. Wig fibers are basically just plastic, so they can be permanently shaped by heat. (They work differently from human-hair wigs. You didn't say what kind of wig experience your grandmother has, but I figured I'd throw that out there just in case.)

When you pour hot water over the wig, the heat relaxes the fibers and manipulates the shape. The weight of the water being pulled down by gravity pulls the fibers straight, and the heat is what makes the shape "stay".

Two notes:
- Hot tap water will NOT work; it's not hot enough. You need to heat water over a stove or burner until it's about 180 degrees. I use a big spaghetti pot for heating, a pitcher for pouring over the wig, and a meat thermometer for checking temperature.
- DO NOT just dump water on top of the wig. This will flatten the crown fibers. You need to gently pour the water around the edge of the crown so that you're really just getting the sides and back of the wig.

I do tend to end up with a few stray frizzy or kinked fibers with this method, but otherwise it made the wig stick straight. I can't guarantee this will work to eliminate your frizz since I don't know what your wig is made out of.

I don't know your character and you didn't post any reference pics, but FYI: this approach will take out ALL wave, curl, and style in your wig. If you only need to treat the ends and this is NOT a straight wig, then you can pour the water directly onto the ends of the wig where you need to straighten it. Alternatively, you could try bringing the pot of water to the wig and dipping the fiber ends into the pot, swishing them around, and then letting it hang dry, but I'm not sure how effective it will be.
Thank you so much! I don't really know what brand it is, actually. It's certainly not the best quality, but it is not a party store wig! I know better than to buy those things! Again, thank you so much for your help, I think I'll try the hot water tonight or tomorrow.
LaserLace is offline   Reply With Quote