Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Unread 10-28-2014, 11:25 PM   #1
Alycone

Katja Von

Name of Commissioner: Katja Von

Website/C.com gallery: https://www.facebook.com/katjavondesign and https://twitter.com/KatjaVonDesign Edit: 2016-03-02. We can add http://www.katjavondesign.com/

Character commissioned and series/video game (please include if this was the entire costume, just a jacket, prop, accessory, wig, etc.): Raskreia from Noblesse. Full costume not including boots.

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: NA. Item not completed and/or sent.

Timeline (how long your order took to process): Approximately one year, but the order is still not fully processed.

Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments.:

I found her ad on Cosplay.com in 2013 and chose her because she had experience with historical costumes. I sent her an email for a costume quote on October 16th, 2013. We soon figured out a price, what I wanted her to do, and a deadline. I paid her $200 by Paypal with a planned deadline of "mid-December". We agreed that I wold pay the other $200 upon completion.

When it came to December, she was unable to make the deadline because of personal issues. I told her I could wait a bit longer for the costume. When she told me it was nearing completion and shipping time, I paid her $220 by Paypal to cover the other half and for shipping and insurance.

Katja was initially very helpful and positive in the emails and did send at least one progress photo. I heard nothing from her for a while after April 20, 2014. I continued to send monthly reminders and then sent an email with "Last Reminder" in the subject at some point. She replied to me on August 5, 2014, and I have not heard from her since.

She told me about some hardships, which I accepted. She told me she would mail the costume at the end of August. I told her I would be expecting either the package tracking number or an email explaining that she had further difficulties. I had to have one or the other, because having no contact was not acceptable. It is now nearly November and a year since the commission date.

As of yet, I have not received my costume or a refund or an email since August 5, 2014. My last email to her was on October 13, 2014.

In addition to the costume, I had also commissioned an additional $500 of work and paid an extra $20 for shipping and insurance (She said it was $40 but that she would pay half as an apology for being late) already paid for by Paypal, which means she is sitting on $920 of my money with no work to show for it.

I am not sure of what to do at this point. It has been a year since I paid her, so Paypal dispute and Credit card disputes are out.

Final Grade:

Update: She contacted me on October 31, 2014, and we are resolving the situation.

Update 2: As of March 2, 2016, the situation is still not resolved. I have still not received anything from her.

Last edited by Alycone : 03-01-2016 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Update to Situation
Alycone is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-24-2014, 11:57 PM   #2
kittyxing

Thank you for posting this.

I was toying with the idea of sending her a commission request but now will def not.
kittyxing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2015, 12:31 AM   #3
PandaZMafia

Costume was received, tracking number was given, costume was in great condition. Glad I received it.

Last edited by PandaZMafia : 09-01-2015 at 09:08 PM.
PandaZMafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2015, 02:12 AM   #4
SirWonderusMary
Join the Flock~

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaZMafia View Post
Same experience here. I am currently in a case with Paypal in order to get my refund. this is such a horrible experience and im sad that it ruined my entire con. I don't think i'll ever buy online again..

Let me know if anything ever happend with yours.
Panda please do not let one person force you from buying online! I have had bad experiences with commissioning as well but I've found amazing people who actually are good too. If you would like any recommendations for commissioners I could gladly give your people to try that I've worked with before!

Very sorry for you and OP and hope you'll be able to get your money back
-Holiday Matsuri 2016
Cosplay List:
-Joker (Alice in the Country of Hearts)
-Klaus (Story of Seasons)
-Madoka (Madoka Magica)

SirWonderusMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2016, 11:05 PM   #5
Alycone

I just wanted to post an update to this situation since I actually had some PMs inquiring about the situation in the long time I did not log in and I suppose other people might be interested.

I continued to email Katja about once a month about my package. She always eventually replied to say that she would definitely mail out my things. As of today, March 2, 2016, she has still not given me anything. I wrote an email to her on February 24, 2016, to say that "I feel that I have waited long enough for the work I paid you for and that two years has been a very reasonable amount of time for you to fulfill your obligations" and to please refund the $921.55 she received from me by March 9th.

Edit: Also, for times, the last time Katja emailed me was on January, 26, 2016, in reply to emails I sent January 4, 2016, and then January 24, 2016. I sent another email on February 17, 2016, and then the February 24th email mentioned above.

Last edited by Alycone : 03-02-2016 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Elaboration
Unread 03-07-2016, 10:31 AM   #6
Eochai

Unfortunately, it seems that I am having the same issues with Katja. I commissioned a costume last August 2015, and initially her email response time was great. However, it was agreed that the costume would be done by March 2016, and now getting into March and she has not responded to any of my emails for 3 weeks. Since I'd paid via PayPal, I'm giving her another week to at least reply or I will open a dispute. I have commissioned things online before and had great experiences, unfortunately, this one seems to be leaning to the negative side. *sigh*
Eochai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2016, 01:26 PM   #7
atypicalgeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eochai View Post
Unfortunately, it seems that I am having the same issues with Katja. I commissioned a costume last August 2015, and initially her email response time was great. However, it was agreed that the costume would be done by March 2016, and now getting into March and she has not responded to any of my emails for 3 weeks. Since I'd paid via PayPal, I'm giving her another week to at least reply or I will open a dispute. I have commissioned things online before and had great experiences, unfortunately, this one seems to be leaning to the negative side. *sigh*
This is so sad because I'm in the same boat.

In early November 2015 I commissioned her for a Cobra Commander costume. She said it would easily be done before the end of December. She was very responsive at first and I PayPaled her $750 (half of the payment) right away. December came and went and I emailed a few emails. She finally told me about personal issues she was having and apologized for the delay. I told her it was fine — even started praying for her — and that I wasn't in a rush.

I didn't hear again until February when I emailed her asking if it was "okay" to spend some of my money I was holding for her 2nd payment on something else. I let her know that I'd have the money when she was ready as long as she wasn't going to be ready "right then." She emailed RIGHT back and thanked me for asking, reiterated her personal life problems and said she was still a ways off. I replied asking if I could see pictures of the costume to that point — she had said that she had it all done but the jacket. No reply.

I emailed her telling her to be honest and let me know if she'd not started yet. I wanted to give her an "out" and even offered to refund me 1/2 of my downpayment and call it good. No reply.

I waited a few more weeks and then on February 15th emailed again asking for pictures. No reply.

I waited until March 3rd 2016 and emailed again.
No reply.

I copied the same March 3rd email through PayPal's dispute resolution center and she replied immediately telling me to please bear with her because of her personal issues and that she could send pictures over the weekend but they'd "just be pictures of it laying on the floor because she didn't have her mannequins with her." Fine by me. I thanked her and even apologized for being "alarmist."

The weekend has come and gone and not one more peep from her.

I am a very sympathetic person who understands life gets in the way... but if you're running a business you have to run the business. You have to be honest. You have to at least reply with, "Sorry, I can't reply right now" or SOMETHING. I hate giving bad reviews but I've been burned more than once — one guy told me how his house burned down... then he told me it burned down AGAIN! #unlikely

I'm opening another PayPal dispute and am considering this done.

I've no doubt as soon as I open the dispute she'll contact me... POSSIBLY send me pictures... it will suck if I get pictures because, at this point, I can't move forward in good conscious.
"One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off." - 1 Kings 20:11
atypicalgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2016, 11:18 AM   #8
Intricacy

I really wish I would've seen this earlier... I commissioned a piece from her last month and she has yet to even request my measurements and it must be completed by mid-April. I'm getting worried now. Why didn't I do better research? I just relied on the 5 star reviews on her Etsy store.
Intricacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2016, 11:39 AM   #9
Milky Bubbles
(◍•ᴗ•◍)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intricacy View Post
I really wish I would've seen this earlier... I commissioned a piece from her last month and she has yet to even request my measurements and it must be completed by mid-April. I'm getting worried now. Why didn't I do better research? I just relied on the 5 star reviews on her Etsy store.
Did you pay via PayPal? Do you have a chance to request a refund or raise a dispute?

-Rococo Princess - Sakizou

fυтυrε cσsтυмε(s):
-Classic Sailor Moon - Sailor Moon R
-Rainbow Quartz - Steven Universe

cσмρℓεтε∂ cσsтυмε(s) σf 2016:

cσηvεηтισηs ι αттεη∂/ωιℓℓ вε αттεη∂ιηg:
Animazement - 2016
Milky Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2016, 11:50 AM   #10
Intricacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Bubbles View Post
Did you pay via PayPal? Do you have a chance to request a refund or raise a dispute?
I did pay via PayPal and I've messaged her with my concerns. I believe in giving someone a chance, so I'm not going to open up a dispute just yet. I'm definitely leaning towards it though if I don't get some answers within a week.
Intricacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2016, 10:02 AM   #11
Milky Bubbles
(◍•ᴗ•◍)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intricacy View Post
I did pay via PayPal and I've messaged her with my concerns. I believe in giving someone a chance, so I'm not going to open up a dispute just yet. I'm definitely leaning towards it though if I don't get some answers within a week.
Well, don't cut her too much slack, going off other reviews on this site she is not going to deliver the product to you in any shape or form so I say open the dispute on Friday, if not sooner!
I understand wanting to give them a chance to redeem themselves but there have been others that tried that before and then ended up losing thousands of dollars because they trusted someone that did nothing but spout lies while giving false hopes.

Don't join that list!

-Rococo Princess - Sakizou

fυтυrε cσsтυмε(s):
-Classic Sailor Moon - Sailor Moon R
-Rainbow Quartz - Steven Universe

cσмρℓεтε∂ cσsтυмε(s) σf 2016:

cσηvεηтισηs ι αттεη∂/ωιℓℓ вε αттεη∂ιηg:
Animazement - 2016
Milky Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2016, 11:36 AM   #12
atypicalgeek

I agree with Milky Bubbles... don't wait too long.

Also, don't close a dispute once you open it until it REALLY REALLY REALLY is resolved. I had taken my PayPal claim down because she emailed me right back and asked me to. Then I found this thread and wanted to put it back up... but once you take one down you can't start a new one. So I called PayPal. They were GREAT! They listened to my story and put the claim back up from their end and it has been resolved now — thankfully!
"One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off." - 1 Kings 20:11
atypicalgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2016, 11:21 AM   #13
Eochai

An update: I sent her a message via her website contact form and finally got a reply on March 7, 2016 saying the following:
"Hello !
I am so sorry for the late reply !
as you can see , I've had a lot going on as of late!
I still may be able to get it to you in time for the premier , I'll have a better estimate in around a week !
Sorry again for the late response and if I made you worry at all ! It wasn't my intention ! "

I had commissioned on August 4, 2015, a Bat suit designed from the "Batman:Noel" costume to be done by March 1, 2016 (so that I could wear it to the opening of BvS). When I pressed her for progress pictures, I received the following on March 10, 2016:
"Hey !
I will get you progress photos as soon as I can !
Everything is up in the air right now , I had to go to Ohio due to the death in my family
So I don't have my Mannequins or anything like that so taking pictures has been difficult for me at the moment !
I'll be going back to Texas in a couple of weeks so I should be able to ship and get you pictures by April 1st(no jokes lol)"

I find it interesting that there was no mention of being out of town in the email from her 3 days before. Also, in only 3 days, the shipping dated moved from in my hands by March 25, to shipping (and progress pictures??) by April 1. I have had no other emails from her since, even though I've emailed her requesting at least a description of the progress thus far. I have a feeling that if I wait til April 1, she will just have another excuse to delay. So, at this point, I am going to have to work with Paypal to see if there is anything that can be done for the first deposit payment, and enter a dispute for the second one I made in November.
Unread 03-17-2016, 02:50 PM   #14
Eochai

Update - as it seems I keep either getting no reply or if I do, the receipt of my costume keeps getting further away. I have entered a Paypal dispute against her for my 2nd deposit, and a CC dispute against her for my first (since it was beyond the 180 day limit for paypal). I would suggest anyone who's paid for a commission with her do the same.
Unread 03-17-2016, 03:36 PM   #15
Alycone

I am updating to say that Katja and I emailed back and forth and we have found a solution. She suggested an arrangement that I find very satisfactory. I appreciate that she promptly sent me the partial refund agreed on after our last email. I will update the main post with my final review of my experience once I receive my package.