Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Unread 06-21-2015, 06:47 AM   #1
Nanari
My heart's glass casing

No updates on my commision: SP1TF1R3

Before I rant about my experience, here is where you can find this guy:

Profile page
Facebook page

So, I posted up an ad in the marketplace looking for someone to make a jacket and cargo pants for my Hope Estheim cosplay. SP1TF1R3 contacted me on May 13, 2015 saying he could do it and, after making sure he knew the date I needed it by, assured me he could get it on my doorstep by 6/20/15. Communication was great before I paid half of the commission (5/13/15), but after I gave him my measurements (5/14/15) all went quiet. I never heard from him, never received progress pictures he told me he would provide and, after contacting him through PMs, his facebook page, and even Paypal, he still hasn't replied back to me.

Now, mind you, I wasn't pestering him. IT was well over 3 weeks before I decided to send him my first message. I waited at least 5 days to hear back from him before sending another Pm since the deadline was coming up, but nothing. I seen that he was logging on to cosplay.com so I don't know why he's ignoring my messages. I even told him that if he can't make the deadline that's fine, just tell me and we can work it out...but nothing. No reply whatsoever. So I waited another 4 days (by this time it was 5 days before my deadline) and still he doesn't bother to send me a message. So it wasn't until the 18th did I warn him, very politely, that if I don't hear from him a day after the 20th I'm going to file a claim with paypal. I know, the message seems a little pushy but after not hearing from him for a month, I thought it was appropriate.

Well, guess what happened after I sent that message...he still didn't reply. So I took it to paypal on the 20th to send him a message voicing my concerns hoping that he'll read it through his email. But nothing. He hasn't contacted me and I can see he's active on his facebook account so I don't know what's going on.

I'll probably have to file a claim with paypal soon since I have this feeling he won't get back to me. I'm just so disappointed that I won't be cosplaying as hope. I was really looking forward to it and now I'm here dealing with this. I gave him a hell of a lot of money for his services but instead of a cosplay, I paid to stress over this.
Nanari is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-21-2015, 04:05 PM   #2
XxYukirinxX

Sorry to hear about the situation! If you still want to cosplay as Hope for next time, you could try buying through eBay or find a reputable commissioner (with great reviews).

I think you did all the right things as a client. Because he never responded back to you, you should definitely file a paypal claim. Even if he doesn't reply back through PayPal, they would still try to get you your money back. Afterwards, you don't have to deal with him anymore.

Last edited by XxYukirinxX : 06-22-2015 at 11:02 AM.
XxYukirinxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2015, 07:00 PM   #3
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Don't give him any benefit of the doubt. File that claim now.

I'm sorry you won't have a costume in time for your con. As a commissioner, I strongly recommend to buyers that they DO NOT send payment (not half, not full, not a deposit) until after they send measurements. I don't know about other commissioners (particularly those who charge low prices but do ask for half up front) but I don't feel comfortable charging my clients anything until I know exactly how much fabric I will be buying. I can't even accurately price a costume, let alone half the price, without measurements. What if the person is 6'4" and wants a floor-length cloak? What if you quote them a price for 6 yards of fabric but then they turn out to be short and petite and only need 4?

These days it's extremely difficult to weed out the flakes and the scammers from legit commissioners, especially when new people are getting into the business every day. Just because someone is new or someone contacts you instead if vice versa isn't automatically a red flag. Some very lovely and talented people with good customer service started out exactly the same as the flakes, jerks, and scammers. I'm glad you paid with paypal and can get your money back. All you can do is give a bad review and hope that anyone else looking for a commission looks up his name and your review before agreeing.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2015, 10:18 PM   #4
satoriie

i'm sorry this happened to you. But with any luck, PayPal will rule in your favor. The same exact thing happened to me, my commissioner just totally bailed on me, no replies anywhere even though I knew they were online. But they also let the PayPal claim sit long enough that PayPal just decided to give me my money back, even without any proof.

Hopefully the same happens for you. Good luck!
satoriie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2015, 04:19 PM   #5
Milky Bubbles
(◍•ᴗ•◍)

I tried to look at their Facebook profile page but they've apparently changed it or something because that link is now broken...!

Regardless, goodness gracious.
I am so sorry to hear that you are in such a frustrating situation.

You should definitely file your claim now and if all goes well, the case will lean in your favor!
I want to hope that he isn't outright ignoring you but seeing as how you have not gotten a response and he's be active elsewhere, that's what seems to be going on.
His lack of responses should act as enough proof for PayPal to give you your money back!
(I also hope that he doesn't retaliate with a response so there's no struggle in your getting your money back!)

You weren't pushy with your message at all, you did the right thing, you as the customer certainly have the right to voice concerns to your commissioner.
I hope that you have better luck with your cosplay next time and I truly hope that you do not let this awful situation dishearten you too badly.

Like it was said before, even some of the people that seem to be the best of the best can turn around and just yank the carpet from underneath your feet.
I hope that this review helps people avoid this guy because he certainly does not deserve to call himself a commissioner if this is what he does to people!

Good luck with this!

*Strawberry Shortcake - Sakizou - 20% Complete! Outfit is done!♥
*Rococo Princess - Sakizou - In the designing phase!

fυтυrε cσsтυмε(s):

cσмρℓεтε∂ cσsтυмε(s):
*Human!Charlotte the Witch - Puella Magi Madoka Magica - Worn to Animazement 2015!

cσηvεηтισηs ι αттεη∂/ωιℓℓ вε αттεη∂ιηg:
*Animazement 2015

Milky Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2015, 12:51 AM   #6
Amaya
Ovarian Cancer Survivor

I actually am in the same boat as you. He was supposed to make a gun for me but he disappeared after I sent payment. I just now opened a paypal dispute on him.

Please check out my Facebook page!
https://www.facebook.com/nightraincosplay

Next Con: Colossalcon 2015!!

In Progress Costumes

[center]
Goddess Purple Heart (Hyperdimention Neptunia)- 90%
Poison Ivy (Batman)- 95%
Wonder Woman -80%
Mileena (Mortal Kombat X) - 0%
Ryuko (Senketsu Transformation version) (Kill La Kill) - 20%
Amaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2015, 03:24 PM   #7
Leslianna

He approached me about a month ago about a commission I was looking for. I didn't end up paying him or asking him to do it. Now I'm really glad I didn't. I'm so sorry this happened to both of you. I'm sure PayPal will be able to return your money.

I would have been out quite a lot had I accepted his proposal. Keep us updated on what happens.
Leslianna is offline   Reply With Quote