Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Unread 08-26-2014, 12:22 AM   #1
Reily96
Kimono Junkie

Vanished commissioner

RESOLVED

So a while back, I took my chances and started the process of commissioning someone else after a bad experience with a previous commissioner (can anyone say Mykaios(Fate/Cosplay)). But it seems like I'm getting played again.

At first everything was great. This commissioner kept in contact with me, we discussed materials and so on, I paid for the materials, and since my commission still had some time, I waited to the rest of the payments. A couple of weeks later I messaged her about the rest of my payments... didn't get a response till like three days later. Okay. She said she lost the message and that it was fine. I told her I would do the final payment after the costume was completed and I had progress photos. She said the costume would probably be done by the first week of August. I told her actually to wait, because I wouldn't be able to pay by then, she might have t hold onto it until then and I still wanted to see pics. She didn't respond, but I took it as she was busy.

I was going to message her again soon, because I now have the funds to be able to complete the whole purchase. I checked her etsy store. It's gone. Her DA is active, but she rarely posts anything. I tried checking her ads here on cosplay.com. Also gone. Her main website is still there, but again, I haven't seen it actively updated. Last update was around maybe a month ago when she updated her pending commissions list.

Whatever the case, I am worried. She had good ratings on etsy - unless something was up, I don't see any reason why she'd suddenly close shop and vanish. I have messaged her, and am awaiting a reply that may not even come.

I have been scammed once. I do not want to be scammed again. If she doesn't respond within three days, I'm disputing with paypal on my last payment (it's been less than 45 days) and possibly going to my bank to talk about the materials cost and just ending it.

However, if she does respond, should I continue business or just terminate the agreement? Honestly I'm terrified. It seems I'm the worst judge of internet character when it comes to commissions that I don't even know what a good commissioner looks like. Or maybe I'm just jumping to conclusions. I don't know. Please give me some advice. D:
Kamiya Kaoru (Rurouni Kenshin) - 100%
Gakuko, Shanghai Disco ver. (Vocaloid) - 70%

For the Future:
Smaug - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Malon - Legend of Zelda
Snow Queen Elsa - Frozen

Last edited by Reily96 : 08-28-2014 at 08:14 PM.
Reily96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-26-2014, 05:11 PM   #2
Amaya
Ovarian Cancer Survivor

I'm so sorry that you are having commissioner trouble AGAIN! I've been burned bad before and I know how it feels.

In this situation, I would go ahead and send her another message (to every form of contact you have with her) stating that If you don't hear from her in that 3 day period you will be opening a paypal dispute. Also state that she WILL HAVE to provide photo evidence of the costume as well. If not, you will still open a dispute. At this point you simply can not just take her word for it.

I really think that's all you can do for now. Just make SURE she provides photos and not just a text only reply. i would even ask her to write her name on a piece of paper, and include that piece of paper in every progress photo she takes and sends you. That way, you know they are her photos and not stolen. Then at that point you can decide to continue with the commission or terminate it.

Good luck and I hope I was able to help a little!

P.S. Also, while I hope this ends well for you, if it does not don't forget to share the commissioner's name with everyone so no one else falls into her trap!

Please check out my Facebook page!
https://www.facebook.com/nightraincosplay

Cinncinnati Comic Con

Megaman/Bass Crossover (Megaman Battle Network)-0%
Asuka Plugsuit (Evangelion 3.33)- 100%
Black Widow (The Avengers)- 100%
Baby Doll (Sucker Punch)- 60%

Last edited by Amaya : 08-26-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Amaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2014, 01:20 AM   #3
MoonlitMacabre

This makes us commissioners look bad. Sorry it happened to you. Good luck!
MoonlitMacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2014, 01:05 AM   #4
Reily96
Kimono Junkie

All right, so I have some good news and bad news. Good news, she's contacted me, as well as explained her reasoning for her vanishing and why she took down all her ads and is pretty much disappearing for the moment. Bad news, she cannot complete the commission and from the sounds of it hadn't even started. She didn't give me specifics, and I'm not gonna ask, but it sounded like a very personal, family tragedy. She stated that she wants to focus on healing, and frankly, this is a more honest explanation than I ever received from Mykaios.

Better news news, she wants to give me a full refund and suggested herself contacting my bank in order to get the money back, as well as offered an apology for putting me through this process. So all in all, everything's resolved, I got my contact as well as the what's up. It's a bit of a disappointment, but in this case I know I CAN get my money back and she's assumed responsibility.
Kamiya Kaoru (Rurouni Kenshin) - 100%
Gakuko, Shanghai Disco ver. (Vocaloid) - 70%

For the Future:
Smaug - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Malon - Legend of Zelda
Snow Queen Elsa - Frozen

Last edited by Reily96 : 08-28-2014 at 01:24 AM.
Reily96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2014, 07:45 PM   #5
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Oh, that's good news. Obviously not for her, and I hope she'll be okay. But that's a classy way to handle an emergency situation and I'm glad you worked it out.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote