Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #1
Averum

Angry Buyer Beware/Review Cosplay Mandy

Well I hate for my first posts here to be about a negative experience, but this was to be my introduction into Cosplay.

Not very long ago I was typing things into Google in an effort to find someone that could make a costume for Dragoncon. Eventually I landed myself on the following page.

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=284222

I spent a great deal of time looking through all the projects Mandy had completed. Along with checking out several other ads and websites. In the end I thought this was a sure deal due to the sheer volume of items on the users photobucket page.

That night I sent out several emails. One to Mandy and two more to other similar costume makers. Mandy was the first to reply to my email.

I told her what costume I wanted, how many days away it was and what Con I was going to. We agreed on a price, I sent pictures and measurements... Along with a 3/4s of the money upfront.

Work began and there were a few follow up emails. I was sent pictures of the costume and to me (a newbie) it looked fine. I paid the rest of my fees and she promised to ship it out soon as possible. This was on Aug 17th.

Here is where the problems begin.

Even though she promised to ship it asap. I was not provided with a tracking number until the 23rd. Which is obviously several days after the 17th. At this point I discovered the items were being shipped from China.

While I have no issues buying things from other countries, this obviously left me with great anxiety about my item arriving in time for the con I was going to. There were multiple follow up emails, checking the tracking several times a day.

Ultimately, you guessed it. The item failed to show up before the con, during the con and ultimately did not show up until the week after the con.

That was bad enough, but I was willing to forgive that particular blunder.

I unpack everything very carefully, while being very disappointed in the packing material. The costume was folded up and wrapped only in black plastic. It had no protective box to speak of.

I examine the outfit and find damage on the front, almost in the darn middle of the chest. It wasn't terrible, but it was extremely easy to spot on the gold fabric.

With a sigh I moved on to my boots. Which were to small for me. My toes were squeezed and no amount of break in was going to fix it.

With a sigh I moved onto the outfit itself. I spent several minutes looking it over and determining the best way to get into it. Which wasn't as bad as I had expected.

I walked out of my bedroom and over to a mirror on the wall. I looked it over and it fit snuggly, but well. At this point I returned to my bedroom and carefully removed the costume.

At this point... devastation -cry- Just from walking the gold fabric had tore in two different locations. One near the zipper and in another spot near the crotch. I felt the fabric and it was almost paper thin. It didn't have the elasticity to stretch in the least. Almost any material would have held up better.

At this point I contacted Mandy. We went through all the steps. Checking measurements, rechecking the costumes dimensions. Ultimately it came down to one simple thing.

The golden fabric she had used was NOT up to the task.

We went round and round for a few emails. Her telling me I must have torn it. Me telling her that I did not.

When the smoke cleared. She offered no replacement. No repair. Not even a refund of 50%. Instead she offered to refund 50 out of the 500 dollars I had paid for the item.

-------------------------------------

At this point I want to point out a few more things. During the emails between us Mandy admitted that she had her doubts about the gold material. That it obviously was not as strong as the blue material. Yet, when I confirm the obvious she is still pointing the finger at me.

She stated that it was hard to find good material that was the right color. So instead she went with weaker material. Material that failed. I think most of us would take no costume at all over one that is going to fall apart.

I am going to post several pictures of the damage and I am going to host the entire email conversation we had for everyone to review.

You can find the full email conversation here.

Front Tear (on arrival)

Damage after trying on for a few minutes

Last edited by NiGHTmaren : 10-01-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Averum is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
Lycoris Ousa
sleepy kitty

Please edit your post real names aren't allowed site rules

*Con list*
AWA - 2014
Momo Con - 2014
Dragon*Con - 2014
Lycoris Ousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #3
Ayase Shin
Cosplay Commissioner

it seems that this is just another one of those many scam commissioners out there and needs to added to the DO NOT commission list.
looks like more are sprouting up lately.

Ayase Shin Coslay @ http://ayaseshincosplay.weebly.com/
Ayase Shin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #4
Lycoris Ousa
sleepy kitty

Her reviews seem mix in the review thread. Ranging from A to D's. You're story will help others avoid her. Though I'm sorry about your experience.

*Con list*
AWA - 2014
Momo Con - 2014
Dragon*Con - 2014
Lycoris Ousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #5
Averum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycoris Ousa View Post
Please edit your post real names aren't allowed site rules
A mod will have to do it. The thread had to be reviewed before it was posted (by a mod). During that time I had no access to the thread and the edit time has expired.
Unread 09-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #6
Aqua's Rhapsody
FIERCE!

Seeing as how we haven't measured you or made the costume ourselves, it is hard to have an opinion on that matter. However, that material is crap and she should have known better. When does anyone ever spend $50 on materials for a full-body costume like that? That price reflects how cheap it was. Also, who doesn't tell their customer that they're in China? That has a major effect on shipping. I would never ship something to another country and expect it to be there in less than a week.

Worst case scenario- the person that measured you didn't know what they were doing. Even if that was the case you should still be entitled to more than a 10% refund when they quality was poor and the deadline was missed. If you were measured correctly, then obviously there is nothing else to say here.

Last edited by Aqua's Rhapsody : 09-11-2013 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Grammar lol
Aqua's Rhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #7
Averum

As a further and extremely laughable experiment today, I played around with the orange/gold material. I could pinch it between my fingers and pull and it tears and runs faster than panty hose. How this was considered suitable material I do not know.
Unread 09-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #8
Averum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua's Rhapsody View Post
Seeing as how we haven't measured you or made the costume ourselves, it is hard to have an opinion on that matter. However, that material is crap and she should have known better. When does anyone ever spend $50 on materials for a full-body costume like that? That price reflects how cheap it was. Also, who doesn't tell their customer that they're in China? That has a major effect on shipping. I would never ship something to another country and expect it to be there in less than a week.

Worst case scenario- the person that measured you didn't know what they were doing. Even if that was the case you still still be entitled to more than a 10% refund when they quality was poor and the deadline was missed. If you were measured correctly, then obviously there is nothing else to say here.
My original measurements were done at a department store that sells suits. The follow up measurements were done at home. They were nearly identical to what the store had given me.

Thanks for your input.
Unread 09-11-2013, 07:25 PM   #9
Ayase Shin
Cosplay Commissioner

im so sorry Averum that your experience with them was horrible,
i do hope others see this and do not go to them, there are plenty of experienced commissioners out there.

Unread 09-11-2013, 10:40 PM   #10
SirWonderusMary
Join the Flock~

Sounds similar to when my fiance commissioned them for her Loki cosplay, though I got to say the "jacket" part looks marvelous while the bad part was the pants not covering her butt, and the "armor" that came with it was horrible and looked like it was rushed with all the left over glue stains on it from the hot-glue gun (the arm guards didn't even fit her arms either) I do hope you can get something. Better if she would give you a little more as a refund.
SirWonderusMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 11:11 PM   #11
Melancholy Wish
Tsundere

So glad I decided not to commission her that one time myself.

Arcade Sona from League of Legends
Esmeralda- Disney
Meru from Legend of Dragoon.
Sayaka Miki- Magica Madoka
Yang-RWBY
Looking for people to hang out with at Ax2014
Melancholy Wish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 11:12 PM   #12
Skyefrost
Not Always Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua's Rhapsody View Post

Worst case scenario- the person that measured you didn't know what they were doing. Even if that was the case you should still be entitled to more than a 10% refund when they quality was poor and the deadline was missed. If you were measured correctly, then obviously there is nothing else to say here.
She actually said that she spent 500$ on that costume.

Instead she offered to refund 50 out of the 500 dollars I had paid for the item.

The seller offered 50 dollars as a refund not that the cosplay itself was 500.
Skyefrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 12:35 AM   #13
Amaya
Ovarian Cancer Survivor

I am so sorry this has happened to you.

I've had 2 commissions done by CosplayMandy. Her communication was excellent and both cosplays I had received were of amazing quality! So, its a shame that she sent such a crappy costume when I KNOW from my commissions that she is capable of producing amazing stuff!!!

Looks like I'll never be commissioning from her again...

Please check out my Facebook page!
https://www.facebook.com/nightraincosplay

Ohayocon 2015

Asuka Plugsuit (Evangelion 3.33)- 100%
Goddess Purple Heart (Hyperdimention Neptunia)- 70%
Baby Doll (Sucker Punch)- 90%
Poison Ivy (Batman)- 0%
Ashe the Frost Archer (League of Legends)- 90%
Amaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 11:46 PM   #14
Ayase Shin
Cosplay Commissioner

she just posted a new ad and I really thought she wouldnt given her bad review here, lets hope no one goes to her after this.

Unread 09-19-2013, 04:31 AM   #15
CharlotteElbourne
Beloved of a Noble

$500 for a costume that was made that badly? Honestly that should have been a red flag in itself, the costume costing so much. I know I haven't seen the rest of what it actually looks like, but good lord. She should have refunded at least most of it for how low-quality it was. I'm so sorry that happened to you!
CharlotteElbourne is offline   Reply With Quote