Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Unread 10-10-2013, 09:12 AM   #1
Wickishaw

Ed Elric, Hughes, and Mustang

Photo by New Age photography, taken at Anime Midwest.

I'm mainly looking for feedback on the Ed costume, since that's me. The other two are a couple friends of mine.
This was the first cosplay I've ever done, and it was a fantastic time. I'd like to improve it, of course, and get into doing more cosplays, since it was so much fun the first time.

Thoughts? Feedback?
Thanks!
Wickishaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-10-2013, 10:27 PM   #2
Midnight Dawn

Just small details really.

The color of your eyebrows and your eyes. Eyebrows can easily be colored, but getting blue contacts could be a pain.

Perhaps a more clean shaven look?

Maybe your automail can be have a more metallic look.

But other then that, you did a very good job.
Midnight Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 11:54 PM   #3
EgnirysFaye
Knows all your secrets

^Doesn't Ed have gold/yellow eyes?

Anyhoo, you did a really well done job. Extra kudos too, since it was your first cosplay!

All I would say, is to go for a clean shaven look (Assuming the camera didn't enhance everything or however, of course!) as I see some scruff/stubble. If a little bit of stubble can't be helped, there is always the use of light makeup.

If you feel like going a bit more devoted, you could trim/pluck the eyebrows. Don't worry, you have very fine eyebrows! You don't even need to dye anything (Unless you truly want to! can understand that it is a commitment) Just that very dark eyebrows can stick out or clash with very light hair, making them look thicker in the meantime too. Also, don't want to make the wig look obviously like a wig. Complimenting hair and eyebrows together does help, and it is such a minor and easy tweek to do. You can always get someone to help you if you are worried, so you don't accidently mess something up and secretly curse Egnirysfaye from cosplay.com for suggesting such a thing.

But those are extra details to refine everything up for the specific character traits, and otherwise everything is great. The automail looks so well constructed! If you did this well on a first go, can only imagine how great your future cosplays would be.

All the best! It is also up to you if you feel the need to get contacts. Honestly, unless they are crazy noticable or intricate, I personally barely notice eye colours anyway on a cosplayer, whether correct or not to the character, and other folks are pretty similar that way too. I have dark eyes myself, and never gotten contacts for any of the light eyed characters I've done. Just don't find the extra expense necessary, if it just means the small detail of making my eyes blue or purple or however. I tend to focus on perfecting everything else, in any case!

Future/In Progress Cosplays:
||Lyanna (95%) ::Game of Thrones ASOIAF||King Canute::Vinland Saga
|| ? ::Once Upon a Time || Princess Tutu::Princess Tutu{Coppelia}||Louise Belcher::Bob's Burger's
EgnirysFaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 12:37 AM   #4
Midnight Dawn

Lol, you are quite right. My bad. It was golden brown eyes.
Midnight Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 02:24 AM   #5
Wickishaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgnirysFaye View Post
All I would say, is to go for a clean shaven look (Assuming the camera didn't enhance everything or however, of course!) as I see some scruff/stubble. If a little bit of stubble can't be helped, there is always the use of light makeup.
Good call about the makeup, I hadn't thought of that. I swear I shave every morning and I always tend to look like that, no matter how clean I seem right after I finish shaving.

Quote:
If you feel like going a bit more devoted, you could trim/pluck the eyebrows. Don't worry, you have very fine eyebrows! You don't even need to dye anything (Unless you truly want to! can understand that it is a commitment) Just that very dark eyebrows can stick out or clash with very light hair, making them look thicker in the meantime too. Also, don't want to make the wig look obviously like a wig. Complimenting hair and eyebrows together does help, and it is such a minor and easy tweek to do. You can always get someone to help you if you are worried, so you don't accidently mess something up and secretly curse Egnirysfaye from cosplay.com for suggesting such a thing.
Really good point about the eyebrows. I knew there had been something bugging me about it that just didn't fit, but I couldn't put my finger on it. I think the eyebrows are the biggest thing.

How would I go about making the wig look 'less like a wig?' I don't really have any wig or theater experience, so I was just kinda hoping for the best with that.

Quote:
But those are extra details to refine everything up for the specific character traits, and otherwise everything is great. The automail looks so well constructed! If you did this well on a first go, can only imagine how great your future cosplays would be.
Thanks! The automail was definitely a lot of fun to make, and took a lot to get just right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Dawn View Post
Just small details really.

The color of... your eyes.
I actually asked my optometrist about colored contacts at one point. She told me that their office specifically didn't prescribe them, and mentioned something about a vision hazard, particularly at night.
I left off at that, and never really looked into colored contacts again.
How would I go about doing that? Can I order prescription colored ones on my own? I'd be pretty blind if I were to wear non-corrective lenses.

Thanks for the feedback!
Wickishaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #6
Sammie

If you want to be more accurate with the outfit you would want to get a brown belt. I do love how clean looking your automail looks. Perhaps you can paint it with a metallic paint to give it more of a metal look.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 12:12 AM   #7
palmtree_freak
Not freaky for palmtrees

www.pinkyparadise.com

They're a GREAT website to order contacts from. They offer prescription (even astigmatism!) lenses. I've been buying from them for about 5 years now and I have yet to be disappointed. They are very comfortable and have a wide selection of colors. Plus they always have some sort of special going on. They're contacts also have a wear life of a year so I actually use mine for my regular contact use. Plus they are really great for your budget (usually 20-25 dollars a pair with reasonable shipping)
Propaholics Commissions
palmtree_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 01:12 AM   #8
LadyNamine37
Queen of Cheesecake

Wow, your automail is great!
The only thing that I would critique is not coloring your eyebrows. Many people overlook doing this and I feel that it can sometimes diminish the look of a cosplay. In other words, coloring your eyebrows give your look a certain neatness.
Other than that, congrats on your first cosplay!
Maka Albarn- Soul Eater (95%; On hold)
Kairi- KH II (90%; On hold)

~Planned Cosplays~
Elsa- Frozen
Miku Hatsune (Append)- Vocaloid
Link- Legend of Zelda
Rei Miyamoto- H.O.T.D
Steampunk Miku
Chii- Chobits
Lucy/Nyuu- Elfen Lied
Rapunzel- Tangled
Namine-KH II
Miku Hatsune (Synchronicity)- Vocaloid

LadyNamine37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 01:36 PM   #9
Suuki
Kyle Broflovski

No one mentioned the hair yet?
The bangs need to be fixed to look like edwards. His kind of go up a bit.. and you are also missing the ahoge.

If you have no wig experience, I would suggest sending your wig to someone to cut/style .. There are many wig commissioners on this forum who would do it for cheap.. (:
----
Anime LA '15
WonderCon '15
Anime Conji '15
Ninja Con '15
Anime Expo '15
San Diego Comic Con '15
Suuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #10
LitaLoni

I'm not an expert by any stretch, but here goes:

The wig has already been addressed, but in the same vein as the eyebrows (and I know a lot of gentlemen don't like hearing this), you may consider using some foundation to change your complexion. Maybe it's the dark hair, but you look like you have more yellow and green tones in your skin color than your friends do (I'm the same way, but my skin is somewhat darker). Yellow (including yellow-blonde hair) isn't a very flattering color for me because we have yellow and green tones in our skin, and that might be at play here.

Take it from a swarthy Sicilian chick: a pair of tweezers and a light-colored, dense, full-coverage foundation will do wonders as long as you don't forget to cover the majority of your exposed skin.

All around, though, this is a really cool cosplay, and I love the armor. I'm going to echo what someone else said and suggest painting it with something metallic. You look really good already!
LitaLoni is offline   Reply With Quote