Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-06-2006, 01:09 AM   #1
Infernoman
Hot as Hell

Mugen Samurai Champloo (almost done)

just about done...only pics I can get for now...I'll put up a better ones later...

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/5407/msc2yp.jpg
http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/4143/msc20gt.jpg

Unknown/on Hiatus until further notice...
Infernoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-06-2006, 08:18 AM   #2
NecroticNymph
Princess at Heart

Nice! All it needs is the long red stitching at the bottom of the shorts and that blue/yellow sword-sling. Oh, and don't forget the metal under the getas!!! ^___^

Oh, and your avatar...isn't that from VG Cats? VG Cats rules!!!

Last edited by NecroticNymph : 06-06-2006 at 08:21 AM.
NecroticNymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2006, 08:05 PM   #3
Infernoman
Hot as Hell

Mugen now complete!

thank you and finally some updated pics:

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/4668/mugen12km.jpg
http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/9127/mugen29fi.jpg
http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/3382/mugen34ut.jpg
http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/1467/mugen47jo.jpg
http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/5592/mugen55wq.jpg
http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/2812/mugen69mh.jpg

Unread 06-14-2006, 03:21 AM   #4
Kumi-chan
Rumiko Takahashi fangirl

Duuude...awesome costume! (First thing that came to mind, I swear!)

Fantastic job, no complaints here. The hair could maybe be a little longer and messier, and maybe draw the lines on your ankles a little more neatly, but the costume itself is beautifully executed. Your colors are perfect, and the fabric looks really nice. I especially love the lacing on the front of the shirt and the strap for the sword.

By the way, whoever does your photography is excellent.

AE/Kumori Con
Ashitaka (Princess Mononoke); Sakura Kinomoto (Cardcaptor Sakura)

Autumn '08/Aki Con
Ryoga Hibiki (Ranma 1/2); Shura!Sakura, Jade!Syaoran (Tsubasa: RC); Kokon (Kon Kon Kokon)
Kumi-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2006, 06:41 PM   #5
Infernoman
Hot as Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumi-chan
Duuude...awesome costume! (First thing that came to mind, I swear!)

Fantastic job, no complaints here. The hair could maybe be a little longer and messier, and maybe draw the lines on your ankles a little more neatly, but the costume itself is beautifully executed. Your colors are perfect, and the fabric looks really nice. I especially love the lacing on the front of the shirt and the strap for the sword.

By the way, whoever does your photography is excellent.
I'm still debating whether or not to get a wig but AX is still a couple of weeks away! and well would you believe it's just me and a tripod? XD

Unread 06-14-2006, 08:43 PM   #6
Kumi-chan
Rumiko Takahashi fangirl

Then you have a really good sense of placement!

The hair's not a big thing, especially if the con's just a couple of weeks away. If there's a store near you that carries a good selection of wigs, I'd say go for it. Otherwise, you're fine with your real hair. I'd say run a little wax through it to get that touseled look, but it looks like you have curly hair, and I'm not sure if that would work in your case.

Just remember to keep up that attitude you're showing in the pictures. You embody Mugen really well just through your poses and facial expressions. You'll probably want to get a wig at some point, just for that final perfect touch (almost all costumes can be improved with a good wig), but it's not necessary.

AE/Kumori Con
Ashitaka (Princess Mononoke); Sakura Kinomoto (Cardcaptor Sakura)

Autumn '08/Aki Con
Ryoga Hibiki (Ranma 1/2); Shura!Sakura, Jade!Syaoran (Tsubasa: RC); Kokon (Kon Kon Kokon)
Kumi-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2006, 11:11 PM   #7
Infernoman
Hot as Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumi-chan
Then you have a really good sense of placement!

The hair's not a big thing, especially if the con's just a couple of weeks away. If there's a store near you that carries a good selection of wigs, I'd say go for it. Otherwise, you're fine with your real hair. I'd say run a little wax through it to get that touseled look, but it looks like you have curly hair, and I'm not sure if that would work in your case.
actually I have natural Wavy hair but yeah I'll take these things into consideration

Quote:
Just remember to keep up that attitude you're showing in the pictures. You embody Mugen really well just through your poses and facial expressions. You'll probably want to get a wig at some point, just for that final perfect touch (almost all costumes can be improved with a good wig), but it's not necessary.
I always make sure to not just get the costume down but get feel of the character as well. Funny thing is, the characters I do so far are serious and rarely (if at all) smiles. =P

Unread 06-23-2006, 01:54 AM   #8
Kakashi101
Fangirl with teeth

You = Hot
Unread 06-23-2006, 11:05 AM   #9
aznbassplayer
I PLAY THE BAHSSSSS

sweeeet! im lovin it cuz ur colors are solid! u even have mugen's tan XD i just wish ur hair was a bit longer so u can style it like mugen's. but other than dat, i really like it! i hope i see u at anime expo! i wanna take pics!
aznbassplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2006, 12:51 PM   #10
Gigaru
Hana-hime

Yes I agree with the previous people the costume is very well done. Your skin color is perfect too haha. The only thing is the hair, its your choice to get a wig or not though it still looks lovely without one. ^^

The picture poses are very nice! o.o Good job!!
Gigaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2006, 04:28 PM   #11
sheepsarai

Just a few things come to mind here when i look at this ^-^ Aside from the hair which you have already addressed, though growing urs out and styling it or doing a wig will make the entire thing polished and conmplete, mugens hair makes a strong statement about his personality.

1) I though Mugen's red shirt was looser longer it alwasy looked very big on him in the show. But my perception could be alittle bit off ^-^

2) the blue bands on your hands and ankle need to be alittle thicker, they're too thin right now.

3) I know ur a boy and alot of boy's dont have pierced ears ^-^ but Mugen does,I would recomend some little clip ons or stick ons for them, but thats just me being OCD and annoying so i apologize.

Thats all i found all in all you've got a really good Mugen costume their and your doing a fabulous job of portraying him.
Unread 06-23-2006, 05:10 PM   #12
Infernoman
Hot as Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakashi101
You = Hot
*blushes* nah...really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznbassplayer
sweeeet! im lovin it cuz ur colors are solid! u even have mugen's tan XD i just wish ur hair was a bit longer so u can style it like mugen's. but other than dat, i really like it! i hope i see u at anime expo! i wanna take pics!
Haha! At AX I'll be wearing Mugen days 2-4 and I'll be at the Samurai Champloo gathering day 3!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepsarai
Just a few things come to mind here when i look at this ^-^ Aside from the hair which you have already addressed, though growing urs out and styling it or doing a wig will make the entire thing polished and conmplete, mugens hair makes a strong statement about his personality.

1) I though Mugen's red shirt was looser longer it alwasy looked very big on him in the show. But my perception could be alittle bit off ^-^
It's slightly looser but I was able to find a red shirt which I thought would make it easier to use for now but I'll be sure to improve Mugen later on!

Quote:
2) the blue bands on your hands and ankle need to be alittle thicker, they're too thin right now.
No prob...I'll fix that come AX

Quote:
3) I know ur a boy and alot of boy's dont have pierced ears ^-^ but Mugen does,I would recomend some little clip ons or stick ons for them, but thats just me being OCD and annoying so i apologize.Thats all i found all in all you've got a really good Mugen costume their and your doing a fabulous job of portraying him.
Of COURSE! I almost forgot Mugen has earings! well honstly I'm not a fan of them but I'll try to find some clip ons to use! it's not that you're OCD, but I agree that character Accuracy is what I strive for as much as possibe!

Thank you everyone so far for commenting on my cosplay! I really apperciate it!:japan:

Unread 06-23-2006, 05:37 PM   #13
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

I agree: clip-ons help (the ones I got hurt like heck but maybe you can find a better solution), for me it's just not Mugen without the big hair but I'm just finicky about that sort of thing, but I love the costume overall and you are, indeed, hawt. Well done!

--Penny
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2006, 05:59 PM   #14
Kakashi101
Fangirl with teeth

Oh very much so.
See, when good looking guys pull off someone as awesome as Mugan you get a very hot cosplayer. See? Simpile math really. ^_^ And you are up there with Mage- who pulled off a wonderful Spike and Mugan. So yes. You sir are a hot cosplayer. Xoxo.
Unread 06-23-2006, 07:18 PM   #15
Infernoman
Hot as Hell

well if you think so! if anything I still have some time to grow my hair more...having trouble making it look EXACTLY like Mugen...but I'm doing the best I can! I'll have a shot of my hair close up soon to see if it look a little better....