Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Critique

Unread 09-11-2013, 11:17 PM   #1
TheCosplayFox

Critique on editing

For this one I tried doing the chidori that kakashi does in the show it's supposed to be a big ball of lightning. But I feel as if it doesn't blend it properly and I couldn't figure out how to make it look more natural. I also would have liked to change the background to darker since I think that would look nicer but I couldn't figure out really how to do it properly. since I think all the trees are to pretty. also any other critique is fine on how I did this aside from the edit.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

for this one I made the eye red and then I fixed up some skin imperfections and some other stuff on the pants is it noticeable what I did what else should I do?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Thanks for looking.
TheCosplayFox is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
Ito
Photographer

First comment I have is that if you want us to critique your photos, I would for sure upload them somewhere else besides facebook. FB absolutely murders image quality. I have no doubt that your image actually looks better than what is posted on facebook, so for this quick review I will try and take this in to account.

For the first shot I will say that trying to fake an image taken during the day to make like it was taken much later or in a dark situation is something I find incredibly hard to fake. I really wouldn't know what my best suggestion would be hear, but if you really want it to be darker, I would do that in camera

As far as the lightening goes, you are missing one key factor in making it look realistic...and that is the brightness. If you actually took that picture, the lightening would be completely blown out (i.e. pure white) and only the edges of the bolts would glow the color. Also, because this would be so bright, it would become a secondary lightsource. I would have used the dodge and burn tools to give the appearance that what is in her hands actually has light that is effecting everything around it. Because of those two things, the effects don't line up with the rest of the image, and the result is what looks like someone taking a downloaded photoshop lightening brush over an image XD

I will try and do a quick critique on the other image when I get the chance.
Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 02:52 PM   #3
WonJohnSoup
Cosplay Photographer

Shooting night for day usually isn't too big of a hassle, but the key is to not have the sky or sun in the shot. It's mostly color in photos that tell us it's "night." Back in the 80s they would render everything in a heavy blue cast, and it still works, really. Nowadays you mostly desaturate the image and add a hint of cold cast and then maybe underexpose it a slight bit.

For the lightning it appears that you did some kind of painting with a soft brush along with compositing? What you can do it google search for lightning brushes people have made and just be conservative with it.

Upcoming Convention:

Anime California 2014 (Will be holding panel, "Posing for Cosplay Photos")
WonJohnSoup is offline   Reply With Quote