Go Back   Cosplay.com > International Forums > Sweden

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-12-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
Pantzar

A guide to Swedish conventions

Created a new thread to not highjack Cosplayare I Skåne

In response to 970337354 who said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 970337354 View Post
Any tips for me to start to cosplay in sweden? I know nothing around here :d. I really want to start up next year. Is there something i should know? How many anime conventions are there? How many people joined each time? Is it held by the government or individuals? What do people do there?

If you are interested in Swedish conventions I recommend you take a look at this site. http://konvent.se/
They compile all(?) upcoming conventions in Sweden.

My personal suggestions are:

NärCon
The largest event in Sweden/Scandinavia. It is organized by the non-profit organization “Förbundet NärCon” and they organize three events per year.

NärCon (sometimes referred to as NärCon:Summer) [Facebook] is their main summer event and currently hold the Scandinavian record with 5000+ visitors. And they have increased in size with 50% each year. I’ve heard a rumor that they aim for 15000 visitors 2015. NärCon:Summer is also the host for the Nordic Cosplay Championship. The event is 4 days long and located at Linköping University.

NärCon:Winter [Facebook] is a new event that took its first steps earlier this year. It too is 4 days long and as the name suggest is held in the winter. Where NärCon:Summer has more for a festival feeling, NärCon:Winter focus more on coziness. This year they had 1000+ visitors. It’s located at Anders Ljungstedt Gymnasium in Linköping.

My:NärCon [Facebook] is something newly announced and I’m not entirely sure what it is. All I know it that it’s held at the event “My2014” in Stockholm, it’s described with the word “convention”, but there will be a lot of other organizations there as well. They have said that the Swedish Cosplay Championship will be held there. It is 3 days long. I have no numbers for amount of visitors since it’s the first year.

ConFusion [Facebook]
ConFusion is organized by the non-profit organization with the same name. It is held at “The Museum of World Culture” in Göteborg. 3 days long and had 800 visitors last year. Usually held in the winter, but have moved it to October this year.

KultCon [Facebook]
This is a convention on the rise. I have not personally been to it but I’ve heard they are gaining ground. It’s 3 days long and located just outside of Jönköping. As far as I know it’s organized my some friends, but they might have formed a non-profit organization by now. I do not know how many visitors they had last year, but I guess it’s a couple of hundreds.

And then there are A LOT of very small conventions. They usually get 50-200 visitors, are not that expensive. And (in my experience) usually not that well organized as the above three, and tends to lack things to do. But if you enjoy smaller more personal conventions rather than larger festivals, then go for it.

Things to know:

Accommodations (where to sleep): It is a norm that Swedish conventions offer sleeping halls to their visitors, and almost all congers sleep there. Sometimes they are free of charge, but usually they cost about 50-100kr extra (you pay for it at the same time as the normal convention ticket). The sleeping hall tickets tend to sell out, so grab one if you want cheap living and get the “true” convention experience. Because of these sleeping halls, conventions in Sweden have been described as “giant sleepover parties” by foreigners.
The sleeping halls are usually indoor gymnasiums or classrooms. You sleep on the floor together with everyone else. Remember to bring your own sleeping bag and mattress etc.
NärCon:Summer is also offering the opportunity to live in a tent on a camping ground. It’s even cheaper than the sleeping hall, but you have to bring your own tent.
But if you are like me and prefer a real bed, some personal space and your own bathroom, then you can just book a hotel room. Some conventions (NärCon) offer discount deals for hotel rooms.

Travel (how to get there): You can travel to the conventions in any way you want, heck I’ve seen people hiking and biking to the convention. But the most common method of travel is the train, and some conventions even offer discount for the train tickets. Just remember to book your train tickets as early as possible because they get more expensive closer to departure.

Food (what to eat): Far from every convention offer food at the convention area. Just keep that in mind. But you can always ask the staff where you can buy food. Remember to bring money for food. Eat and drink regularly, and preferably healthy. You are personally responsible for you own requirements (allergies etc).

The ticket (what it is and how to get it): There are two main kinds of payment systems; the larger conventions use a custom web system called “ConMann” where you can buy the tickets and everything else you might need. (The conventions will link to it from their own sites). At smaller conventions you pay in cash at the door. OBS! Look up beforehand how the convention you want to visit handles the payment; you do not want to arrive at the con only to realize that the tickets are all sold out.
If you pay through ConMann you should get a .pdf file. Print it and bring it to the convention. At the convention you show them the paper and you will get a "convention band" around your wrist. This is your ticket, do not take it off.

Merchandize: Just a quick note: Bring cash, not all stores takes cards.

Cosplay: Cosplay the character you love and have fun. There is one rule that is universal on Swedish conventions: Don’t break the law. For cosplay this means:
  • No nudity (don’t show genitals or female nipples; underwear and swimsuits are fine)
  • No sharp edges on weapons.
  • Real-looking guns should have a safety plug.
  • Do not carry real-looking weapons in the open; have them sheathed at all times.
The only exception to the weapon rules are during poses for photo shoots and on the stage.
I recommend that you change into cosplay before you get to the convention area, and for the love of god: do not occupy the bathroom mirrors in the sleeping halls, bring your own mirror for your makeup.
You do not have to buy a “cosplay ticket” to cosplay. The cosplay tickets are for those who want to participate in the competition. If you do want to be in the competition: get the cosplay ticket fast, they tend to sell out fast (and for NärCon:Summer: REALY FAST!)

If you have more questions just ask.

Last edited by Pantzar : 09-12-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Pantzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
Vocaloid fans

Thank you so much this is so helpful!
970337354 is offline   Reply With Quote