Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Unread 09-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #1
ToxicMelodies
Nyan Nyan Neko Chan!

Lolita Makeup and Hair...?

What would be alright as in makeup for the lolita fashion? Should I use natural colors and such or what would be okay for a gothic lolita and such? Also, should I curl my hair and such? Or can I keep it straight or would it not look right?

~

(side note.. where should i post for having some help deciding on a dress to wear...? pm me please!)

Last edited by ToxicMelodies : 09-13-2013 at 06:02 PM.
ToxicMelodies is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

To me, it depends on the style. I do sweet, so I would use more pinks and light colors like that. Like my coord (only one so far) is pink and baby blue, so I would use pink and blue eye makeup and pink blush (I don't own any yet so I wasn't able to do that for my first time out, but I will next time)

For the gothis Lolita style, it seems still more natural colors works but still some black eyeliner and maybe fake lashes, but go light on the black. Maybe do something like this too if you want:
http://www.hollywoodnoirmakeup.com/w...eyecloseup.jpg
But thinner. I think that really draws attention to the eyes which is good.

those are just the ones I looked into most..Sorta looked into classic at first, but I didn't read up a bunch on that like I did those 2.

For the dress, you can just post in this same forum. I assume you are looking for suggestions on what would lok good or whatever..If that's the case, then by all means, post away.

In fact I'm sure people that see this would be able to help you in that area too if you wanna jut post the info here in your original post. No idea why you'd need people to PM you about dresses..
-Either Hikari (Pokemon Platinum) or Roxanne (Pokemon Omega Ruby)
-Squall Leonhart (Dissidia: Final Fantasy)
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Re/Black ver)
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #3
ToxicMelodies
Nyan Nyan Neko Chan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTerror View Post
To me, it depends on the style. I do sweet, so I would use more pinks and light colors like that. Like my coord (only one so far) is pink and baby blue, so I would use pink and blue eye makeup and pink blush (I don't own any yet so I wasn't able to do that for my first time out, but I will next time)

For the gothis Lolita style, it seems still more natural colors works but still some black eyeliner and maybe fake lashes, but go light on the black. Maybe do something like this too if you want:
http://www.hollywoodnoirmakeup.com/w...eyecloseup.jpg
But thinner. I think that really draws attention to the eyes which is good.

those are just the ones I looked into most..Sorta looked into classic at first, but I didn't read up a bunch on that like I did those 2.

For the dress, you can just post in this same forum. I assume you are looking for suggestions on what would lok good or whatever..If that's the case, then by all means, post away.

In fact I'm sure people that see this would be able to help you in that area too if you wanna jut post the info here in your original post. No idea why you'd need people to PM you about dresses..
Alright, that's pretty much like the makeup I use currently, just I use natural tones of eyeshadow and stuff. I can also get some fake eyelashes too! And I said pm me about where I should post that question is because I wasn't sure if it'd get off topic and this thread thing would get moved... ^_^" sorry!
Unread 09-13-2013, 09:06 PM   #4
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Yea that should be fine then. Really as long as you don't overdue it, our fine. You want to look natural as possible with a hint of a touch up, basically. Like, you may wear black eyeliner with black eye shadow to get that thick top lid like anime does, but you totally want the opposite for this.

And i understand now lol No worries, posting on this forum is probably your best bet other then the egl forums.
Unread 09-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #5
ToxicMelodies
Nyan Nyan Neko Chan!

Quote:
Yea that should be fine then. Really as long as you don't overdue it, our fine. You want to look natural as possible with a hint of a touch up, basically. Like, you may wear black eyeliner with black eye shadow to get that thick top lid like anime does, but you totally want the opposite for this.

And i understand now lol No worries, posting on this forum is probably your best bet other then the egl forums.
Alright! And yeah, thank you!
Unread 09-13-2013, 11:13 PM   #6
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

You'r welcome. God lck in finding the perfect coord for you!! And most of all, have fun!
Unread 09-14-2013, 01:51 AM   #7
ToxicMelodies
Nyan Nyan Neko Chan!

Quote:
You'r welcome. God lck in finding the perfect coord for you!! And most of all, have fun!
Thanks so much! > w<
Unread 09-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #8
konekoanni

To add to the makeup suggestions, what you really want to do is emphasize the eyes. Since most Lolita coordinates have a lot going on on top (wigs, hair accessories, etc), bringing out the eyes is important. That's why a lot of Lolitas typically wear fake lashes and circle lenses, and even sweet styles usually wear relatively heavy eyeliner. Lolita mooks often have makeup tips and examples (albeit for Japanese girls, but the principles are the same for a western face) that you can look through for inspiration--I found a few examples here, here, here, and here.

The style you are wearing should influence the type of eyeshadow you do. Pastels and sparkles are appropriate for sweet, and you can go darker (but please, no supergoth or white face/shironui) for Gothic. Classic is usually neutrals or earth-tones, and really a good natural look can work with any of the styles. Blush comes down to personal preference--I don't like the look of super bright rounded blush, but some people think that it's cute and doll-like, so it's whatever you want. I would look at Lolita publications for examples (GLB, Kera, Alice Deco, etc).

For hair, you want a level of volume that will be appropriate with your hair accessory. If you are wearing a simple headband or flat oldschool headdress, then straight hair is fine, but if you're wearing a giant bow or something larger, then you'll want your hair to have more volume. Again, check Lolita publications for examples. Basically, you don't want your hair accessory to look out of place, so the volume of your hair should "support" it, rather than make it stand out (if that makes sense). I personally wear wigs for the most part because my natural hair is very thin and doesn't hold a curl well, but there are also great examples out there of natural hair being used very well with Lolita, so don't think that you are required to wear a wig or anything. It's just easier for a lot of people (also, I'm lazy, and a wig is sooo much faster).

Hope that helps! I also responded to your other post, and you can always PM me if you have any questions.

Kiryuin Satsuki [Kill la Kill] 100% - AX 2014
Classic Sailor Uranus [Sailor Moon S] 100% - AX 2014
Nuriko [Fushigi Yuugi] 35% - AX 2014
Super Sailor Uranus [Sailor Moon SuperS] 60% - PMX 2014

ACP | blog | facebook | deviantART | tumblr | worldcosplay
konekoanni is offline   Reply With Quote