Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 10-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #16
Jacecam32

it might be the arch thing. The issue I have is I am cutting my pattern out on the foam and then when i heat and bend it around its A. too lose and doesn't close all the way. and B. its not as easy to flex in. (pinches around the wrists and elbows more then the pattern.
The Inferiority You Feel Is Actually The Quality Of A King. You May Grumble A Lot But You Know That You Are Still Small. And Yet, You Still Struggle To Reach Heights Greater Then You Can Imagine - Iskander Fate Zero.
Jacecam32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-21-2013, 08:17 PM   #17
Millions_Knives

If its question of range of motion thats something youll have to practice and work with as you learn your body.

if your having problems with comfort while armor can be uncomfortable rounding and sanding edges is a goo place to start.
i also like to line my armor with scrap cloth

if your have it very well fitted youll need closures
sure it may no show in the art but ya got to get into it realistically
look for seams and edges you can take advantage of
and hide a lace, snap, or something to hold it closed
so have it big enough to get into and close it up

im not great a writing infomation but these vids should give ya some good tips
there are several other armor vids and a ton of vid with PVC
Hope ya fine some thing of use
GL
good times to all
it is the largest collection of cosplay tutorials and cosplay fun on youtube.
Millions_Knives is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 12:16 AM   #18
Jacecam32

Sorry for the lack of posts lately. Was out of town for work for a couple weeks and got back and focused on the cloth part of my costume (getting it out of the way) I should be getting back to the armor either this weekend or next week
The Inferiority You Feel Is Actually The Quality Of A King. You May Grumble A Lot But You Know That You Are Still Small. And Yet, You Still Struggle To Reach Heights Greater Then You Can Imagine - Iskander Fate Zero.
Unread 11-01-2013, 10:03 AM   #19
DropsOfRain

I've been considering getting PVC foam to make a sword. Fellow Canadian, where can you get this stuff? Can I drop by Home Depot / Canadian Tire / Lowes and find it there, or is there a different (better?) place to pick it up from?
DropsOfRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 12:18 PM   #20
Jacecam32

Well in my city I went to johnsons industrial plastics. If you look into some industrial plastics warehouse in a city around you
Unread 11-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #21
Jacecam32

You'd have to find an industrial plastics. Warehouse in a city near by you. I only know of the one in my city. Of edmomton
Unread 11-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #22
DropsOfRain

Ah, there we go, looks like there are a couple such places near me. Thank you, good sir!

One more question (before I go to the warehouse and make a fool of myself), can it be cut with a regular exacto knife, or will I need another tool to cut it?
Unread 11-02-2013, 05:41 PM   #23
Jacecam32

It can be cut with an exacto knife. but keep in mind you want the 1/16 inch width. its thinner then the stuff I currently have and will be A. easier to cut. and B. take less heat to bend (assuming I've not tried this yet myself)
Unread 11-02-2013, 06:47 PM   #24
DropsOfRain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacecam32 View Post
It can be cut with an exacto knife. but keep in mind you want the 1/16 inch width. its thinner then the stuff I currently have and will be A. easier to cut. and B. take less heat to bend (assuming I've not tried this yet myself)
Awesome. Thanks so much for your help!
Unread 11-04-2013, 11:06 AM   #25
FuzzyDrawings

So I'm ordering some PVC foam (sintra brand) off of Amazon. I've not used it before, but figured I'd experiment with it for my Kingsgaurd (Game of Thrones) costume I want to make. Amazon has several different thickness available - from 2mm to 6mm. Since the thinner board is easier to manipulate, I'm leaning towards 2 or 3mm, but I'm curious as to it's durability and sturdiness once it's been heated and molded...

With this particular outfit, PVC looks like the best best for all the custom work. The last costume I made, I used real materials - leather and purchased functional armor, so I'd prefer to try and maintain as much realistic feel and functionality of the PVC as possible (outside of being able to take sword blows like real armor).

If I make a breastplate out of 3mm board, am I going to be dealing with a lot of movement/flexibility? Or will it be sturdy enough for my needs?
FuzzyDrawings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #26
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

Gonna depend on the construction of the breastplate, but one layer of 3mm is going to be pretty flimsy & flexible.

You might be able to reinforce the underside of it with some additional strips of PVC for strength.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 02:30 PM   #27
FuzzyDrawings

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
Gonna depend on the construction of the breastplate, but one layer of 3mm is going to be pretty flimsy & flexible.

You might be able to reinforce the underside of it with some additional strips of PVC for strength.
Thanks. If I double up on the 3mm, do you think that will be alright? (I realize in that case, I could just go for the 6mm, but everywhere I've read says that 6mm is a pain to mold).
Unread 11-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #28
StabbityBlkMage
I eat emo kids.

3mm is plenty sturdy for a chest piece by itself I'd just do it by itself. I used it for Zhou Tai and had no issues.

http://junkerscosplay.blogspot.com/2...y-ax-2011.html

Blogspot- Step by Step tutorials!
Facebook
Twitter - Day to day WIP!
Deviantart
StabbityBlkMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #29
FuzzyDrawings

That looks great. One more question about the sintra: Can you do relief carving into it? If so, is it best to do it before or after molding?

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

The white portions of the design on the chest plate are slightly recessed - will I be able to match that with the sintra?

Another thought - when the sintra is heated up, can you press a design into it (i'm thinking cutting out the design in sintra then pressing it into the warmed up chest piece)?

Thanks for the help!
Unread 11-06-2013, 12:12 AM   #30
Jacecam32

rather then carving INTO it. try cutting out some pieces and putting it ontop with like a super glue of sorts