Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 09-29-2013, 09:09 PM   #1
Rinku-chan
Procrastination Time!

Fake Ear Care Help

I'm assuming this would go in the makeup section, but I could be wrong. So anyways, I got some fake elf ears at my city's RenFest. I'm wondering if there's any special care tips for them. The lady selling them said one person who bought his from her had them for over 7 years and still uses them today. Is there anyway I can get mine to last that long. They are latex ears and I don't know how to care for them properly. I was thinking about washing them since they were attached to my ears using this special type of glue, but then I remembered that the lady who I bought them from put this make-up stuff on it to make it blend with my natural ears and I don't wanna wash that off. Right now they are just sitting on my desk after I carefully (and painfully) removed them from my ears.
Rinku-chan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-30-2013, 05:35 AM   #2
Kelley
Devil of Details

Well, first, I'd make sure that you buy the conjugate REMOVER for whatever adhesive you use to put them on. If you get spirit gum, get the REMOVER. It should never be painful to remove something like this - and not using a remover can also potentially damage the ears (not to mention your own). Not removing built-up adhesive can also shorten their lifespan.

There's probably no reason to full-on wash them, just wipe out the inside if it looks like there's body oil or something in there.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 06:09 AM   #3
Rinku-chan
Procrastination Time!

Thank you! I'm about 85% sure that spirit gum was used since I vaguely remember her mentioning it. This weekend I'll see if any costume shops have the right remover.
Rinku-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 09:50 AM   #4
rachelewok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinku-chan View Post
Thank you! I'm about 85% sure that spirit gum was used since I vaguely remember her mentioning it. This weekend I'll see if any costume shops have the right remover.
If you don't have spirit gum remover on hand, you can use rubbing alcohol to remove spirit gum from your ears. Don't use either on your fake ears though because those products can break down the latex. I agree with Kelley, wipe out the inside. Also, keep your ears in a plastic ziplock bag to keep dirt and dust off.

Here is a guide with everything you'd want to know about latex ears.
http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/...tingOnEars.htm