Go Back   Cosplay.com > Member Forums Entrance > Virginia Cosplay Society

Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Unread 05-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #1
twentystitches
Abusin' the MiracleGrow..
 
twentystitches's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 447
Northern VA/DC/MD Cosplayers and Photographers. Interested in a club?

Hey everyone!

I have been mulling over the idea of starting a cosplay club for the Northern Virginia/Metro DC area for awhile now and things are starting to brew in actually creating it. This would be a club that would be focused on having bi-monthly (or monthly if there's enough interest) at certain locations which would basically be photoshoots. It'd be open to all cosplayers, costumers, and photographers and the idea would be for people to be able to get good shots of their costumes outside of a crowded con setting and also meet up with other cosplayers and costumers to just generally have fun.

Some food outings might be considered as well. *And* workshops on certain cosplay aspects like wigs, handstitching, prop construction, etc.

I've look around a bit and it doesn't seem like there's a real organized club for this area of VA but there's a lot of cosplayers around. So let me know if you'd be interested and I'll keep everyone posted on the creation of this club!

Also location ideas for club meetings would be great. Have you ever walked, driven or biked past a cool area you thought would be great for a photoshoot? Here's a chance to actually have that happen!
twentystitches is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 05-13-2012, 07:17 AM   #2
BetwixtReality
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 293
Hm, sounds like a great idea but I wonder how manageable it would be. I'm currently sort of in something like this where I go to school but rather than saying it is a club it is more like a message board. When someone's doing something cosplay they post it and people spread the word down the grapevine. The ones who do the organizing and all ends up being the photographers. They rent locations and set up photosets and such and have it as open cosplay photoshoots for free so they are losing money. But that's just how things ended up in Hawaii. Thought I'd mention it though. Oh yeah, and while there isn't a club for that area there is a VA cosplayers club on Facebook. They though far as I can tell don't do anything but people chatting on Facebook and if someone does have an event already they post about it there.
BetwixtReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
han-pan
Registered User
 
han-pan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,110
There is a DMV anime club that does a lot of this sort of stuff. I can get you connected to them on Facebook if you are interested.
__________________
Girls With Comics

Guess what, Japanime costume players....
YOU'RE NOT THE ENTIRETY OF THE COSPLAY WORLD.
Stop being so closeminded. Just because someone cosplays doesn't mean they're an otaku or a weeaboo.


In Progress: Super Sailor Moon, Sailor Moon
han-pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
twentystitches
Abusin' the MiracleGrow..
 
twentystitches's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetwixtReality View Post
Hm, sounds like a great idea but I wonder how manageable it would be. I'm currently sort of in something like this where I go to school but rather than saying it is a club it is more like a message board. When someone's doing something cosplay they post it and people spread the word down the grapevine. The ones who do the organizing and all ends up being the photographers. They rent locations and set up photosets and such and have it as open cosplay photoshoots for free so they are losing money. But that's just how things ended up in Hawaii. Thought I'd mention it though. Oh yeah, and while there isn't a club for that area there is a VA cosplayers club on Facebook. They though far as I can tell don't do anything but people chatting on Facebook and if someone does have an event already they post about it there.
That's definitely something to keep in mind, not putting all the pressure on the photographers but considering most cosplayers also take photos I was thinking it could be a lot less formal.As long as we have a location and permission to take photos at the location it should be pretty good.

I'll have to scrounge around facebook more, it looks like! Thanks for mentioning it!
twentystitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
twentystitches
Abusin' the MiracleGrow..
 
twentystitches's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by han-pan View Post
There is a DMV anime club that does a lot of this sort of stuff. I can get you connected to them on Facebook if you are interested.
I definitely would be interested! Feel free to PM me the link to their page or any info that you might have. That would be great. No need to create something brand brand new if there's already a club in place.
twentystitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 08:36 PM   #6
thebrick
www.jyiphoto.com
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by han-pan View Post
There is a DMV anime club that does a lot of this sort of stuff. I can get you connected to them on Facebook if you are interested.
Why not post their group here for others to see?
__________________
JYIPHOTO.COM
thebrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #7
leibrads456
Complete noob
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by twentystitches View Post
Hey everyone!

I have been mulling over the idea of starting a cosplay club for the Northern Virginia/Metro DC area for awhile now and things are starting to brew in actually creating it. This would be a club that would be focused on having bi-monthly (or monthly if there's enough interest) at certain locations which would basically be photoshoots. It'd be open to all cosplayers, costumers, and photographers and the idea would be for people to be able to get good shots of their costumes outside of a crowded con setting and also meet up with other cosplayers and costumers to just generally have fun.

Some food outings might be considered as well. *And* workshops on certain cosplay aspects like wigs, handstitching, prop construction, etc.

I've look around a bit and it doesn't seem like there's a real organized club for this area of VA but there's a lot of cosplayers around. So let me know if you'd be interested and I'll keep everyone posted on the creation of this club!

Also location ideas for club meetings would be great. Have you ever walked, driven or biked past a cool area you thought would be great for a photoshoot? Here's a chance to actually have that happen!
Hi, I'm somewhat new to cosplay(I've been an admirer for years but have never cosplayed myself) and would like to try my hand at it. I noticed this thread and was wondering if this group was ever put together. I'm very interested in joining a group with which I can work on costumes and participate in photoshoots ^_^
leibrads456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 01:39 AM   #8
wowlookapanda
Registered User
 
wowlookapanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 199
Lei, just noticed your recent post here. Seeing how that the last post before you was May 2012 I do not think whatever was planned here came about, however if you would like to start something I would support you. Also, it looks like there are more active forum threads for the NoVa/MD/DC area else where Va Cosplayers and Virginia Cosplayers? for starters. Also I know that both NoVa and DC have active anime clubs also. So those 4 links should help you in the right direction, of if you feel ambitious enough start things going yourself
__________________
FB Cosplay Page
My DA Page

Active cosplays:
Adam Taurus from RWBY
Yukio Okumura from Ao No Exorcist
Kyoya Otori from Ouran High School Host Club
Roy Mustang from Full Metal Alchemist
wowlookapanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55 PM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.