Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #16
msleeper

I've been lagging behind on progress with this (and other) projects because I've been in the middle of a move. I've either been totally away from the workshop or had half of my tools in a different location, so it's been slow going. However, I have all of the principal pieces assembled: gluing the 6 or 7 pieces that make up the screen cover was a real chore.

When working with the LED holder that goes on front, I was unhappy with the print quality with it because it has a number of overhanging parts. I decided to go ahead and print a new one on one of the 3D printers that the makerspace has. It's a giant homebrew printer and the prints that come out of it are way better than what I was seeing before.

This part will need to be acetone washed, but thankfully the print is nice enough that I won't need to do much work on it after. Yay for round parts!

As far as the rest of the pieces, now 3 large parts total, they're being primered and will be getting the usual sand-and-fill.

I am probably going to hit everything with a few coats of paint for AMMF just to wear it, but I won't consider it done and won't be molding it then. There still needs to be some work done making everything look nice. One of the guys at the space calls me a perfectionist because I am worrying about smoothing out and filling in the gaps on the inside even though "nobody will see it". Amateur!
msleeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-07-2013, 06:08 PM   #17
msleeper

After recovering from AMMF and a very interesting week thus far, I am about to finish up this piece. The last thing to do is finish cleaning up the front LED holder (the kids at AMMF really got a little too handsy!) and then I'll be ready to pour rubber.

I also put up a pre-order listing on my Etsy shop for anyone who was expressing interest about getting a raw cast. And lastly, I went ahead and put up a Part 1 build post on my blog, but it's pretty much a rehash of what I've posted here and/or on TheRPF.

Thanks for reading!
Unread 11-16-2013, 03:55 PM   #18
msleeper

21 year old me wants to know why present day me's idea of a great Saturday night looks like this.
Unread 11-17-2013, 12:02 AM   #19
verdatum
Extremely registered user

Ooo, you're gonna do a Plasti-Paste mother mold? Those are fantastically convenient compared to plaster or fiberglass-fabric mother molds. I was really surprised how much I enjoyed working with it. Just don't try to sand it; it's friggin' bulletproof. I use Shell-Shock overtop when I want to do an outer beauty-coat, since it's smoother and can be sanded.
Unread 11-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #20
msleeper

For the people who wanted to see what the face plate of the Pip-Boy looks like. Just need to spot fill a couple small parts and this thing is done and ready for silicone.

However, on that front - Molding is probably going to have to wait until after the weekend. The place where I get my supplies at had already rented their vacuum pot, and are closed today. So I'll have to wait until Monday at the earliest to start pouring rubber. The upside is that gives me more time to obsess over tiny details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdatum View Post
Ooo, you're gonna do a Plasti-Paste mother mold? Those are fantastically convenient compared to plaster or fiberglass-fabric mother molds. I was really surprised how much I enjoyed working with it. Just don't try to sand it; it's friggin' bulletproof. I use Shell-Shock overtop when I want to do an outer beauty-coat, since it's smoother and can be sanded.
I've used it before, I really like the material. I've heard that you can use a chip brush soaked in rubbing alcohol to smooth out the surface while it's still pliable (the alcohol prevents the paste from binding to your brush's bristles) so I'm going to give that a whirl.
Unread 11-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #21
msleeper

Everything except the LED holder, screen cover mount portion finished and ready to mold. This entire thing is designed to be screwed together, so I think I'm going to mold that separately, making this a 4 piece kit.

Giant version available here.

Getting really really close to finished!
Unread 11-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #22
djlemma

This is awesome work! I just got a (very small) 3D printer so I'm going to have to try some stuff like this.
Unread 12-01-2013, 05:49 PM   #23
msleeper

I finally got some photos of the screen/LED holder. I poured a test cast and it came out beautifully, very little flashing.