Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 09-22-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
SuddenlyAirship
Master of everything

Smile What sort of dress is this?

Hey guys!
I'm cosplaying Cordelia, from Fire Emblem Awakening, and I am completely stumped on what kind of dress she is wearing. I was planning on buying a red dress of the kind she has on, and hemming it white and then sewing on the designs, but I have no idea what sort of dress this is and what is the most accurate version of it selling online.
So if you have ANY idea what dress I should buy and alter for this, please let me know!

Reference images:

fire-emblem-awakening-cordelia-mini.jpg

7723392_f260.jpg

223474_536168393084075_789682120_n.jpg

tumblr_misl7bv2W31ryf2ffo1_500.jpg

Thank you so much in advance! :3
SuddenlyAirship is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-22-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

An a-line or fitted shift dress would probably yield some decent results. If you have the ability to sew on the decor, which sure looks fancy, and add fabric, I don't see why you couldn't sew the whole dress; the design is quite simple to fit and sew and then applique over or before you sew the seams up (it'll sew up a little easier that way), especially if it's sleeveless. You would just have to flare the skirt a bit and add reverse box pleats (not as hard as it sounds, really). Two examples of workable patterns; http://www.simplicity.com/p-9393-mis...fit-dress.aspx http://www.simplicity.com/p-8866-mis...age-dress.aspx Simplicity.com has lots more but it's having loading issues for my computer today...

oh, and whichever method you go with, MAKE SURE you wash the red enough to stop from dye bleeding out before the white is sewn to it. Red loves to bleed colour, and onto white won't help that at all.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c

Last edited by ShinobiXikyu : 09-22-2013 at 05:25 PM.
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #3
SuddenlyAirship
Master of everything

:3 okay, I guess I could try to make it! I've never made a full dress before, so this will be exciting ^-^ I was wondering if you could tell me how to flare the skirt more from an already existing pattern? Like, how I'd be adding enough fabric to pleat/flare it more?
SuddenlyAirship is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 05:49 PM   #4
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

It depends a bit on what sort of seams the dress has, but I'll use the basic, front-side-back A-line seam for the example, as it looks like the best seam to use for the costume too.

So, you can see where the dress front seam goes down to and that it starts to flare out into the skirt and the pleat it's in (it's called a reverse box pleat, just for reference). If it's your first time doing this, try shaping it on cheap scrap first before you make the proper dress. You'll want to leave the seam open and unsewn where it would start to flare out, spread it open into the triangle shape, then tuck the ends under to make part of the pleat and a seam for the red, and sew in a panel of red in a triangular shape, which will complete the look of the pleat. You may need to trim the tops a little bit to make it fit smoother together, but don't get too scissor-happy until you've sewn the sides up. If there's then too much fabric at the top to sit nicely, trim off the excess and cut a small notch into the seam where it starts to flare out to let the now-flared-out seam lay a little nicer. Press it too with your iron, as pleats don't look like pleats without a nice crisp line. If you want extra space to turn under and sew for the pleat shape, use bigger-than-directed seam allowances; you can always trim off the extra from the rest of the dress when you're done.
You're actually lucky to have it in two colours; adding to a dress to make pleats in one colour is trickier.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 09:37 PM   #5
Penlowe

I'd actually get the cheerleader costume pattern set, there are mix & match pieces in it and one that you can use with almost no pattern manipulation at all. It's even the right length.

I did notice on the first image you linked, that her skirt has a single box pleat in the front center. There are box pleats in the cheerleader costume patterns too