Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 09-26-2013, 01:20 AM   #1
ShetheBear

Advice for Fabric and Draping for Jean Grey from X-men Battle of the Atom Bomb

So i'm completely new to Cosplay. A few friends recently got into it. Anyway, I finally found a character that I'd like to Cosplay for the Emerald City Comic Con in the spring: Future Jean Grey from the X-men: Battle of the Atom Bomb. I'm gonna be able to have their help in constructing the costume, but one of them did mention that the difficult part won't be the construction of the mask, but figuring out what kind of fabric to use (particularly with the cape i'm guessing) and how to drape it.

here are some pictures:

[p]

[p]

[p]

[p]

sooo yeah.
what kind of fabric do ya'll think would work best? and do you have any suggestions for draping? Closest fabric store to me is Johann's Fabrics, which from experience always only cares the same kind of fabrics... so if ya'll have any suggestions for fabric stores either online or around the seattle area that would be sweet and I'd appreciate you forever. Any advice would be sweet

thanks everyone!
brit
ShetheBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-27-2013, 08:15 AM   #2
Penlowe

this may sound odd, but I'd get flannel, like pajama stuff. It's more affordable than wool suiting, and because of the look it would be pricey to do that much of it. Then I'd do a lot of distressing and a little dyeing to get that nifty battle worn look. Use any halloween cape pattern for the drape part in back, that isn't anything special. Then make a separate piece, a very large triangle, for the front drape bit. I'd probably start with a two yard long piece*, fold it in half then just cut a straight line from the selvedge edge to the fold line (ish, this is battle worn so truly straight lines aren't necessary). This drape wraps around the body like a shawl, with the tiny point ends tying together behind your back under the cape. If it's big enough, it'll gather just like the picture all on it's own.

* this size is sort of average bust, size ten-ish American woman size. if you are bigger than that, or really busty, you may need a bigger shawl.