Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #1
QueenOfSlayers
100-0 HP in 0.1 seconds.

Sewing machine won't sew, please help :(

New to sewing, and the sewing machine isn't sewing, the needle is stuck on the fabric, it's not threading, and not really moving?

I've followed my instruction manual, I threaded it but I can't actually begin to sew.

Also the shuttle hook doesn't fit onto the bobbin case and within the machine =/

Can anyone help?

Unread 09-26-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

I'm a bit confused. First you say "it's not threading" and then you say "I threaded it". Can you please be more specific?

What model of sewing machine do you have? Where did you get it from? How old is it? If it's not new, do you know when it's last been serviced? Have you used it before? Did it just start doing this? Have you sewn with it at all before it got stuck?

Shots in the dark:
- Your bobbin or case could be wrong
- Your bobbin case could be correct, but inserted incorrectly

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.
Evil Bishounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
lemuries

Two cases from my past come to mind:

When I was just starting out, I would pull the fabric through the machine, rather than let the machine guide the fabric. Occasionally, I would pull the fabric with the needle in it so that it missed the hole it was supposed to sink into. Then it would stop and I couldn't make it go anymore because I was asking the metal needle to go through the metal of the sewing machine. You might want to see if you can unscrew the part holding the needle in and take it out and replace it and see if it'll work again.

The other time that my machine would not go, The metal thing at the top of the machine that bobs up and down would get unthreaded. That would cause the bobbin thread under the needle to snag the thread from above and basically tie the machine down in place so I couldn't go forward or back. I would sometimes even do this with the needle in the fabric, though the fabric had nothing to do with it. If this is what's happened, you can cut the thread from above and open up the bobbin case at the bobbin and pull all the thread out. Then see if the machine will respond to turning the wheel on the side. If so, re-thread everything and start again.

----

I hope this has helped a little.
lemuries is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 11:49 PM   #4
QueenOfSlayers
100-0 HP in 0.1 seconds.

I think it was a case of the shuttle hook case not being in properly, as I have one on the side and not even my friend could put it in =/ I threaded it, but it wouldn't use the thread? If that makes sense.

First time sewing, and it's from Argos. I meant to use it a year ago but was busy with school, so I only opened it now. I have a 3-year warranty though, luckily ^^; It's a brother machine not sure of the exact machine.

I followed the intructions for threading the uppoer and lower bobbin/spool, but when I tried again to sew it gave off a burning smell and the needle snapped off ;_____; also the presser foot came off.
Unread 09-27-2013, 01:17 AM   #5
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

Okay, so it's a brand new Brother sewing machine, so that rules out lack of maintenance.

I noticed your profile says you're in the UK; I'm in the USA and I haven't heard of Argos, is it a chain store or a sewing specialty store? Are you able to talk to any mechanics there?

Since the machine is new, here are my thoughts on what could be wrong with it:

- The machine could have been defective right out of the box. It's rare, but this does happen sometimes. If this is the case, you should be able to return it and have it replaced with a new one since it's under warranty.

- You mentioned it's got a front-loading bobbin case. These are notoriously tricky to insert. It could be that the parts just weren't inserted properly in there. (I used to fumble them all the time; I'd think it was in there properly, but then the bobbin case would fall out or the thread wouldn't interlock properly.) However, this would not explain the broken needle or the burning smell. Burning smells coming from sewing machines, in my experience, are usually a symptom of the belt grinding against something.

- lemuries made a very good suggestion. If you have a habit of pulling or pushing on the fabric when you run the machine, this could cause the needle to break, the machine to jam, the foot to pop off, etc. If the needle is striking the plate instead of going down into the bobbin area, this would stop the machine and cause the belt to grind. It could also screw up the alignment and timing of the machine.

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.
Evil Bishounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 07:49 AM   #6
Penlowe

Have you done any sewing at all? or is this your very first try?

When I teach, I give my students paper and no thread, it's the best way to get a feel for the machine without the complications of thread and fabric. Once you clear the thread and fabric, try 'sewing' some plain paper, if there is something really wrong with the machine itself (defect or otherwise) it will be exposed during this trial without causing further harm. If it's user error, that will be exposed too but you are now armed with more information of how to use your machine.

I don't dislike front loading bobbins, but I admit they have a learning curve. Eventually, you will learn to do it by feel, but there in no shame in tipping up the machine to look at what you are doing until you reach that point.