Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-23-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
rspade
Vermicious Knid

Upper Arm Exercises- Girl

Hi! I'm a girl, 15, 98lbs and with no muscles whatsoever. I'm trying to get toned (at the least) upper arms for a cosplay, hopefully by Anime Boston in the spring. Do you guys have any tips on how to achieve this that fast? I don't have access to a weightlifting room. Also, ab exercises. Thanks!
Matt {Death Note}
Ciel Phantomhive, Undertaker, Alois Trancy {Kuroshitsuji}
Fem!Equius, Fem!Horuss {Homestuck}
rspade is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #2
Drazhar

http://www.bodybuilding.com/guides/
Drazhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 10:58 PM   #3
rachelewok

If you don't have room for weight lifting, you should look into Blogilates. It's a youtube series of workouts by fitness instructor Cassey Ho. They are seriously the BEST. She puts out a workout calendar every week to help you know what to do.

All you really need is a yoga mat (or carpet, or towel. But I really recommend getting a yoga mat, they're not expensive and doing the poses are much easier on the hips and back than on a hard floor). If you don't have hand weights, that's fine - Cassey makes suggestions to substitute weights such as textbooks or full water bottles (I personally have a couple pairs of hand weights of varying weights - if you really want to tone up your arms it might be a good idea to invest in a 3 or 5 pound pair to start out with).

Here is my favorite arm workout video.
Here is one of my favorite ab workouts.

You should check her out. I didn't find anything else that was fun, didn't take up much room, and worked until I found Blogilates. Cassey is a really motivational instructor... It's just fun. Maybe this will help.
rachelewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 10:11 AM   #4
nikkiolie

Push ups, vertical and lateral raises, bicep curls, triceps extensions. All of those you can do with things you find around the house. You can even fill a gallon jug with water to about 5-10 lbs and it can help you get the results you want.

Next cons:
Sakuracon '14
Kumoricon '14
Newcon '14
nikkiolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
Antifreeze

I am shocked no one has said dips ... bench dips are great. Diamond pushups are good too. The fun thing that no one really thinks about is the fact that if you use your arms they are getting worked out.

What exactly do you have at your disposal for working out?
Antifreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
Bovice

Dips and close grip chin ups are great and can be done at your local park. If they get easy to the point you can do more than 10 in a set, wear a backpack and fill it up with some books until you work your way back up. rinse/repeat
Bovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 12:51 PM   #7
Antifreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bovice View Post
Dips and close grip chin ups are great and can be done at your local park. If they get easy to the point you can do more than 10 in a set, wear a backpack and fill it up with some books until you work your way back up. rinse/repeat
To continue on this point, if you cannot do chin ups jumping chin ups are a good start. If you are going to do jumping chin ups make sure you lower yourself as slowly as possible. That way you can train your muscles more. An important thing about doing chin ups is getting your body used to doing them again. So go to the local park and play on the monkey bars and hang from your arms. You would be surprised at how hard this actually is.
Antifreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 12:38 AM   #8
belligerent
Viking Metal

Also eat more protein. If you're naturally <100 pounds without doing anything for strength training, then you're going to need to eat more to actually gain some muscle. This is not license to eat twice as much as normal or anything, but make sure to eat properly for growth, otherwise doing exercise will be a waste of your time.

Quote:
I personally have a couple pairs of hand weights of varying weights - if you really want to tone up your arms it might be a good idea to invest in a 3 or 5 pound pair to start out with
3 pound dumbbells are pretty useless, IMO. If you're trying to build muscle, you want weights as heavy as you can do for 3 sets of about 8 reps (some other people will say different numbers of sets or reps but this is one of the standards I've seen). Try them out in a store to see what you need. I do my arm exercises with 20's and 30's, mostly. Sometimes 40's.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Nephrite

Last edited by belligerent : 09-26-2013 at 12:48 AM.
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 12:48 AM   #9
angel wings
KIRAH! ^.~\m/✰

i second blogilates cassey is amazing and her routines are easy and fun (but painful)
Unread 09-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #10
Bovice

To expand on belligerent's post, I also like 8;

The way I do it is start with something I can do 3 sets of 8 with, but push for 9-10; when I get to the point where I can do 10 for all 3 sets, then I move the weight up to something I can only do 2-3 sets of 8 with again. (if I can get 8 at least 2 sets, then I think the weight is fine if i get 6-7 reps on the third set, but if I can only get 8 for 1 set, then I lower the weight)
Bovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 05:14 PM   #11
joshiemae
Amazonian Princess

Honestly, I'd recommend push ups. If they're too hard at first start with what's considered girly push ups, but make sure you go all the way down or they won't have any effect. Pretty much if it burns it's working. Diamond push ups and wide stand push ups are great to work with as well (both deal with hand placement and are pretty self explanatory). Dips are great too and any weight lifting is great too. if you're looking for an overall exercise that'll give everything a work out go swimming. Never in my life has an activity been so all encompassing.

As for abs, basic crunches go a long way. If you're having more difficulty with your lower abs you can adjust your crunches by sitting with your legs crossed (like you might usually sit) and then continue crunches as usual.
Obliques can be easily done by laying your legs and lower body on your side while keeping your upper body straight. Continue as you would regular crunches.
I'd also recommend working your back out too, so your whole core gets a work out.
joshiemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #12
David07

Proper Exercise and healthy food are very important to improve fitness. To make strong arms and shoulders practice push ups. bench press, chair squats, cable stretching and band resistance. Eat fresh fruits, vegetables, nuts, red meat, dairy products. Go for running, walking at least 30 to 45 minutes in a day. It improve mood, make strong bones and muscles, boost energy, reduce joints pain, improve physical performance.
click here

Last edited by David07 : 10-12-2013 at 08:01 AM.
David07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 05:37 PM   #13
ty520

Dips and diamond push ups are terrible on your elbows, wrists and rotator cuffs - even more so for a beginner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antifreeze View Post
I am shocked no one has said dips ... bench dips are great. Diamond pushups are good too. The fun thing that no one really thinks about is the fact that if you use your arms they are getting worked out.

What exactly do you have at your disposal for working out?
ty520 is offline   Reply With Quote