Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-24-2013, 09:00 PM   #1
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

Solo Skit?

Hey guys!
I'm looking to enter in my next skit competition. However there's a problem. I don't have a partner for this skit.

Now yes I know I could just do the walk-on. However the skit competition has 1) better prizes, 2) is more theatrical (I'm a theater major) and 3) is what I want to do for practice for future skits with partners.

So here are my questions:

1) Have you seen successful solo skits? Links? What made them good?

2) Have you seen horrible solo skits? What should I stay away from?

3) How can I make something move while not making it a monologue and not making it me talking to a person off stage the whole show.

For reference my costume is Merida from Brave. I'll post my current ideas in a minute.

Any help would be great!
Thanks guys! (:

Unread 09-25-2013, 01:40 PM   #2
lunaladyoflight
Glitter Addict

I can't say I've seen many successful solo skits. Most cons disallow lip syncing and dancing, they ask that be kept to the karaoke panel/competition so for most you're out of luck if that is your plan. I really heavily advise against monologues. I have never seen one work well and chances are the references from the show will be something your audience does not understand.

The only successful solo skit is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWr3G...B95A4 4AD5106

I prefer to work in a pair, or in a larger group. I also find that most convention audiences react best to musical numbers (when performed WELL). Straight talking doesn't seem to work as much as it did 7 years ago.

~BFA Musical Theater
~US World Cosplay Summit Finalist
Unread 09-25-2013, 02:54 PM   #3
Merino
Bucket Loli

I think that there is a chance to make Solo skits quite successful, depending on how you want to portray your character. I've seen quite a few solo skits, some that even won best in show! Try to answer some questions first, such as what type of skit do you want (funny, dramatic etc) then if you want it to be movie based, or based around Disney culture etc. As for who you are talking to you could address the audience (something like a PSA, or how tough it is to be a princess). You could address the Unknown. You could do your skit as if you are talking to the spirits, or if you are "lost" talk to the noises in the forest ("Hello, is anyone there?")

The best advice I can give is keep it short. Where I come from our skits in the Masquerade are 1 minute max and we pull off some very successful skits. Have fun, be creative and remember that max time is a guideline and you do not have to fill it (but you cannot go over it). Good luck and happy skit planning!
Unread 09-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #4
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

I for sure so not wan to use a song (ie singing/dancing).
I usually prefer dramatic skits, however I feel comedy may work better for a solo skit.

My new thoughts are:
1) Merida talking about being a princess then have the will Othe whips appear high ahe follows off stage. Followed by a bear growl and her runn the other direction. During the princess rules there would be some nods to the audience such "you can't have strange hair" "you can't walk around half naked" "you can't be terrifying" (it's a Halloween con).

2) wearing princess Zelda rather than Merida. (Twilight princess puppet version) appearing hidden by her cape. Then gannondorf appears on the screen and posses Zelda. Then there is some Gannon moves and Zelda does the same (puppet puppet master kinda thing). The Zelda summons her sword and begins to fight towards the audience then stabs someone persuably in the audience. She then yells "link!". Is over come with remorse hiss under her cape then stabs herself with the sword.

Thoughts?
Unread 09-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #5
Amanita

I did a solo skit a couple of years ago that went over pretty well- I took the first minute and 15 seconds of the audio from this music video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVA-xTBeHyM

And did a solo sword kata to it- It was quite effective- with what sounds like all hell beginning to break loose in the first part before the music even starts, like my character was wading into the middle of a riot. If I had had a group, that would have been cool too, we could have made it look like we were trying to hold a defensive line, perhaps. But even solo, it did pretty well.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 12:18 PM   #6
lunaladyoflight
Glitter Addict

I highly recommend limiting yourself to a minute. Solo skits tend to not get much stage time, but if you keep the audience and judges wanting more you should have a bigger success rate. If you have a screen to work with you have an advantage compared to cons where there is no screen, just you. Since you have a screen to interact with it is like having another person.
Unread 09-27-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

Yes I am well aware of keeping skits short. I've never done a skit that was more than two minutes. (:
I guess I'll just see how it goes.
Thanks guys. (:

Last edited by ichigo_m. : 09-28-2013 at 01:43 AM.
ichigo_m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2013, 12:25 AM   #8
Midnight Dawn

How about Merida speech to the clan leaders about choosing your fate?

I've seen a few successful solo skits. But to answer your questions:
1. It's depends on a variety of things. But by my perception it's about presence. If you're giving off the feeling that you're here and you're serious about what you're doing then you'll have the attention and command of the crowd. It just depends from here what kind of atmosphere you want to convey through your presence.

2. Absolutely no dancing or singing! I mean it's swell and all and it takes solid talent and commitment to do it right. But this is a masquerade. Like the reason why I don't watch America's got Talent, if I wanted to watch people sing and dance then I would have stuck to American Idol and America can Dance. Comedy is so-so as it depends on how it's done. So drama would be the best bet.

3. The audience is who you're talking too so talk to them. Make them feel like part of your show. Here's an example of what I mean. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvnt0yCwvYg
Midnight Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 04:58 PM   #9
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

Midnight: I like to think I have pretty good stage presence so I hope it works to my advantage!
Also that link is amazing!

So I've decided to ditch the Merida idea, and go with Puppet Zelda.
Here's a test of the skit. The dialogue will of course be better recorded (Yes I have a man to play Gannon). And while I'm sure it doesn't make as much sense without me in costume or with props. But does this general idea seem to work?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkpvR...ature=youtu.be

(Please ignore my pjs and messy hair. xD)
Unread 10-05-2013, 12:37 AM   #10
Midnight Dawn

I'm not super savvy about the lore concerning Zelda games, but I'll give my best critique.

Assuming that I'm the audience, it's kind of odd that your back is shown to me for a good duration of time. Although I'm not quite sure how to phrase it, your moments didn't seem to behave more like a puppet on strings. Perhaps a more rag doll like movements to your arms and legs? I think the final death scene felt a bit too sudden. Perhaps a more drawn out feeling like the agony of suffering and pain of guilty as you feel your life whisking away.

Your facial expressions were good as they were well in sync to your dialogue. Listening to it, it fluidity from cause to effect of event and action seemed logical.

Of course this is just what I think. I hope this helped even a little bit.
Unread 10-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #11
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

Awesome! I'm glad it made sense! Ill see what I can do to make the death longer. (:

Also, with the back being turned is partially to show off my cloak and also to hide my "puppet" makeup.

I'm going to be getting my props tonight an will finish the audio and post again! Thank you!!! (:
Unread 10-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #12
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

I performed my skit last weekend!
Here is it! The judges all seemed to like it and one was particularly impress that I made 3 people on stage out of only me. xDD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_kQ5WvXcII

Please let me know what you think!
I would like to improve in any way possible! (:
Unread 10-29-2013, 01:05 AM   #13
Midnight Dawn

Kind of hard to see with being too far back.

Sorry I can't say anymore.
Unread 10-29-2013, 09:37 AM   #14
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

Sadly my friend couldn't get a very good seat. However if you full screen the video it becomes easier to see.
Unread 10-29-2013, 11:55 AM   #15
Midnight Dawn

Everything matched up pretty well.

Critique wise the sword play was somewhat out of sync with the sound and I felt the act of suicide should have been slowed down a bit.

But otherwise it was a splendid performance. Good job.