Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 09-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #1
ShimaGenki

Quick Protein Shake Recipe

I thought since I finally have found a good shake recipe that works for me, I'd share my wisdom with everyone! I am aware that there is a small amount of fat in this recipe, but it's the quickest and tastiest mix I've found. I'd rather have something I like than something perfect. c:

The nice thing about this recipe is that's fast and fairly affordable. Just toss in a blender and go! If you're like me and frequently get nauseated after a hard work out, you can easily throw this back and move on. Your body needs that fuel no matter what your tummy says.

Okay, enough intro, lol.

Recipe:
1 scoop protein powder (adjust according to your brand and protein needs)
1 packet Carnation Instant Breakfast
Ice cubes (approx 5 cubes/handful)
Water (approx 3/4 cup, adjust to preference)
Banana or other fruit (optional)

Blend all ingredients in blender until desired consistency.

If you've got any other good post-workout recipes or any comments to the above, go for it! I personally love using chocolate whey protein and the chocolate breakfast flavors (mmmm...) You can tell I'm a chocolate fan c;
ShimaGenki is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-08-2013, 04:53 AM   #2
JDubbs

KISS: Gold standard whey (chocolate) + large glass of milk--stir until pretty consistent and drink. It will take about 1 week to get used to, but after a week, it will taste like chocolate milk to you. This saves on time to make the shake and clean up time from having to use a blender.
JDubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 05:47 PM   #3
ty520

I'd be careful mixing protein AND instant breakfast - that's a butt load of calories in one hit, especially for just a drink. Need to make sure it fits into your macros.

I am also a fan of choc. whey protein.

I usually just mix it with skim milk and call it a day.

But sometimes i like adding peanut butter and a small shot of hazelnut coffee liqueur.

or choc.,, skim, plus instant coffee for a hit of energy.

For those who prefer vanilla, tossing in some skim milk and berries is good and good for you. I really like it with orange, banana and strawberry - can't stand vanilla whey by itself.

Last edited by ty520 : 10-30-2013 at 05:52 PM.
ty520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 06:09 PM   #4
lemuries

I imagine this is only going to make some people queasy, but maybe there are other milk-intolerant people who would find this useful.

Since I can't handle whey, I use a soy protein powder (although the healthfood store guys are trying to get me onto pea protein and such because of the GMO concern). Because I grew up without milk, I stayed away from chocolate and never developed a taste for it, so I don't have a chocolicious version to offer.

Anyway, this is the foundation of my diet:

3 heaping Tbl Genisoy soy protein powder, natural flavor
8 oz soy milk
1 Tbl Stevia+sugar blend

Tossed into a Magic Bullet blender knockoff for about 15 seconds.

This version should contain the following stats:
215 cal
6g fat
14g carbs
12g sugar
33g protein

If I'm in a mood for eggnog, I add in 1/4c of egg substitute for an additional 33g cal, 1 carb & 7g protein... with a dash of nutmeg on top. It's thick enough at that point to hold me over at least 3 hours.

It takes extract well (vanilla, french vanilla, almond, rum, coconut, etc). Crystal light makes an "orange, strawberry, banana" water flavor packet that turns it fantastic. Before I knocked off all the artificial sweeteners, I added all manner of Torani flavorings meant for coffee (they make butterscotch, caramel, pineapple, Almaretto, and SO many others). I've never been a fan of cold drinks but it could probably handle ice well too.

I find I need at least 12g of sugar per meal or my blood sugar just tanks badly. I was toying with the idea of trying coconut crystals (I hear they have a lower GI rating), but haven't had a day where I could afford to just fall on the ground for a few hours if it fails.

I would imagine this would work well with almond milk or rice milk. I used to use Westsoy organic boxed milk that was fine until I upgraded to homemade.
lemuries is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
ty520

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemuries View Post
I imagine this is only going to make some people queasy, but maybe there are other milk-intolerant people who would find this useful.

Since I can't handle whey, I use a soy protein powder
Just want to add a side note: guys should avoid soy, even if they are lactose-intolerant, or have a dairy allergy. Mounting evidence shows that soy will cause unnatural and unwanted spikes in estrogen in males, along with many undesirable side effects associated with excess estrogen.
Unread 10-31-2013, 11:44 AM   #6
lemuries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty520 View Post
Just want to add a side note: guys should avoid soy, even if they are lactose-intolerant, or have a dairy allergy. Mounting evidence shows that soy will cause unnatural and unwanted spikes in estrogen in males, along with many undesirable side effects associated with excess estrogen.
I usually expect men to hear me say "soy" and veer off because of the estrogen concern.

The thing is, I'm having trouble accepting it. I've seen many places where documents say that soy carries the largest amount of phytoestrogens in food (phytoestrogens are in almost every plant-based food we eat, btw), but I keep running into places that say that phytoestrogens are much weaker than animal estrogens... but they won't QUANTIFY it. They say stuff like "Phytoestrogens behave like hormones, although they are generally less potent." source HOW MUCH LESS? ... Or they'll say " Only one-third of people with Western ancestry metabolize isoflavones into a form with high estrogenic activity, according to the Linus Pauling Institute." source But then they don't say how exactly high "high" is or what actual effects these people experience. I also see horror stories about how soy makes a man physically more feminine, but then he'll admit that he drinks 3 quarts a day (It's a rare day when I reach 1 quart a day, and my diet is mostly soy!).

It's just frustrating to not know if I should try to educate men through the scare tactics into having another tool in their health tool-belt, or whether this is a very real threat to men's masculinity, because the "experts" are either vague or have their own slant on things and I don't know who to endorse.

So I end up mentioning "soy" and watching men flinch while their eyes tell me they are no longer listening, and I accept it because I can't give them solid evidence one way or the other on whether it's a serious concern or just fear-mongering.
lemuries is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #7
ty520

How it affects men is still under scrutiny, but it is a matter of indisputable statistical correlation that high soy intake by men directly relates to increases in the probability of estrogen dominance in men, along with related side effects including hair loss, swollen prostates, and multiple forms of cancers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemuries View Post
I usually expect men to hear me say "soy" and veer off because of the estrogen concern.

The thing is, I'm having trouble accepting it. I've seen many places where documents say that soy carries the largest amount of phytoestrogens in food (phytoestrogens are in almost every plant-based food we eat, btw), but I keep running into places that say that phytoestrogens are much weaker than animal estrogens... but they won't QUANTIFY it. They say stuff like "Phytoestrogens behave like hormones, although they are generally less potent." source HOW MUCH LESS? ... Or they'll say " Only one-third of people with Western ancestry metabolize isoflavones into a form with high estrogenic activity, according to the Linus Pauling Institute." source But then they don't say how exactly high "high" is or what actual effects these people experience. I also see horror stories about how soy makes a man physically more feminine, but then he'll admit that he drinks 3 quarts a day (It's a rare day when I reach 1 quart a day, and my diet is mostly soy!).

It's just frustrating to not know if I should try to educate men through the scare tactics into having another tool in their health tool-belt, or whether this is a very real threat to men's masculinity, because the "experts" are either vague or have their own slant on things and I don't know who to endorse.

So I end up mentioning "soy" and watching men flinch while their eyes tell me they are no longer listening, and I accept it because I can't give them solid evidence one way or the other on whether it's a serious concern or just fear-mongering.
Unread 11-01-2013, 06:39 PM   #8
Quickdraw

I bought a Health Master and my shakes totally suck. I will try these and get back to you.
Quickdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 08:29 PM   #9
belligerent
Viking Metal

Um, I doubt consuming relatively small amounts of soy are going to make your balls fall off or whatever it is men are worried about. More estrogen? oh no, how terrible!!!

If you're worried about this stuff and somehow make it through life without suffering panic attacks constantly from worrying about the billion other things you might eat that also probably have weird side effects (pesticides, gmo, antibiotics, etc...and these are all things that are in whole foods. Don't even get me started on processed stuff) that we don't even know about, there are always other forms of protein, such as beef, egg, potato, hemp, pea, and even rice protein. They're harder to find in the wild but you can order them online at some places that specialize in custom protein orders (I get all my stuff from truenutrition because it works out to be way cheaper).
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Nephrite
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote