Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 10-28-2013, 08:27 PM   #16
Jakkun
MIKU RANGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookehdoom View Post
BE VERY CAREFUL BUYING SKIN79 ON AMAZON! There TONS of fakes on Amazon plus reviews get mixed together on Amazon for some godawful reason.
Oh no definitely, def do your research before buying skin79 products on amazon due to fake products. Don't go and buy it because it could end up very bad :P

Cosplay 2014

Asuka - Neon Genesis Evangelion
Judal - Magi
Kyoko - Modoka Magica
Selphie - FF8
Aoba - DramaticalMurder
Ellie - the Last of Us
Kira - RWBY
Nagisa - FREE!

Cons 2014
KatsuCon
Anime Boston
Pax East
Another Anime Convention
Jakkun is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-28-2013, 09:35 PM   #17
spookehdoom
Batz. Batz O'Hell.

It's seriously annoying how Amazon mixes up ALL the Hot Pink BB reviews. -_-; You'll have to research sellers via a search engine before you buy (thanks for that fail, Amazon!!). Sadly, the seller I got my BB from closed shop suddenly but she had official product.

You can also buy direct from SKIN79 North America but their stock is iffy; for the longest time, they didn't have the Hot Pink BB.

Alternative dyes (Manic Panic, Special Effects) are vegetable dyes and stain. They are not water-based. Don't want to see your hair stained later on? Don't do it.
spookehdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #18
19ciel

what if I put white cream mixed with primer I tryed it it only made me a little pale but not pale enough
Unread 11-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #19
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

Primer is translucent. Mixing something with it will cause a tint, but nothing opaque. Mixing white cream with your foundation will work far better (I'm pretty sure I mentioned that in one of my posts). If you need to be paler, add more cream than foundation, such as a 2:1 ratio.
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #20
19ciel

but i cnt find any foundation lighter then my skin im all ready pale i looked everywhere even at make up store not even the workers can find anything
Unread 11-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #21
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

Maybelline does have a white concealer stick. If you cannot find that, you're gonna have to order something online. Ben Nye has cream foundations that come in very pale shades, including Alabaster and White. One of those will probably work either on their own, or mixed with your own foundation.
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #22
JackieKay

A green face primer will reduce all the red and pink tones in your skin. This will make you appear lighter. Take the face primer you already have and pump out a small amount and add a very small amount of green pigment from an eye shadow or just purchase a green primer. Lorial makes a shade C1 in a line called "true match." this should be plenty pale. alternatively Loroc makes a shade NP1 this is a much pricier option. A round fluffy foundation brush will help with the coverage.
JackieKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #23
19ciel

I look in to that I remember look at a tutorial video for make up they use this green stick to take off zits and things like that I think if I use that nd a little primer would work where do you find them at
Unread 11-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #24
AdventurerEmily
Zombie Extraordinaire

Green primer is available at any drugstore, or at a high-end brand counter.

The palest drugstore foundation I have seen is Maybelline Fit Me Liquid Foundation in 110 Porcelain. You can find it at any drugstore that carries Maybelline.

If the Maybelline isn't pale enough, you're going to have to use an indie brand, high-end foundation or theatrical makeup. Several high-end companies make pale foundations, though they are pricey. They will last a long time if you aren't using them every day, so they are perhaps worth the investment.

HIGH END “BOUTIQUE” MAKEUP:

The lightest shade that MAC carries is NC15, which may or may not be light enough.

AVAILABLE AT SEPHORA:

NARS Sheer Glow in "Siberia" is very pale

Illamasqua makes a pure white foundation as well as several pale shades that may or may not be available at Sephora.

Makeup Forever Mat Velvet+ Foundation in "Alabaster"

AVAILABLE AT ULTA:

Smashbox Studio Skin Foundation in 1.1

Too Faced Amazing Face Foundation in "Fair" or "Warm Vanilla"

Stila Illuminating Liquid Foundation in "10 Watts" is very fair.

INDEPENDENT MAKEUP:

Meow Cosmetics makes mineral foundations in several pale formulations (the Inquisitive line) as well as pure white (Snow Lynx).

Portland Black Lipstick Company “Corpse Paint” is a theatrical white pancake foundation.

Aromaleigh Pashmina Heavy Coverage Mineral Foundation comes in several very pale shades that offer buildable coverage.

THEATRICAL MAKEUP AVAILABLE AT CAMERA READY COSMETICS:

Ben Nye Crème Foundation has white or pale colors such as “Porcelain” and “Geisha”.

Ben Nye HD Matte Foundation in “Cine Fair”, “Naturelle”, “Pure Ivory”, or “Special White”

Graftobian Dual-Finish Foundation in “Porcelain Doll”, “Fair Maiden”, or “Cool Breeze”

Mehron Celebre HD Pro Foundation in “White”, “Eurasia Ivory”, or “Alabaster”

Depending on your undertone and how opaque you want the makeup to be, there are tons of options. Though you might be hesitant to avoid makeup online, buying from a reputable vendor and ordering samples when possible can help you find the right product. I only listed retailers that I have experience with and know to be trustworthy; if you choose to shop via Amazon or Ebay please exercise caution and make sure you are really getting genuine products. Counterfeit makeup is a booming industry, and you don’t want to end up putting mystery ingredients on your face.

Last edited by AdventurerEmily : 11-07-2013 at 05:05 PM.
AdventurerEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #25
AdventurerEmily
Zombie Extraordinaire

You seem to be a little confused about the difference between primers and foundations. Here's a crash course in face makeup:

Primer is designed to smooth the skin, reduce the appearance of pores, correct color issues (if the primer is colored-- e.g. green primer to correct redness), and help adhere product to the skin. It does not impart any color (except in the case of color correctors, but these are not opaque). They can be water or silicone based, and are designed to help specific skin issues (e.g. dry skin, oily skin, redness, sallowness).

Foundation is designed to cover imperfections, even skin tone, and impart color (if used to change the color of one's skin). It comes in different formulas designed to work with different types of skin (e.g. oily skin, dry skin) and in different tones (warm, cool, neutral). Powder foundations are recommended for those with normal to oily skin, and come in a variety of coverage options from sheer to opaque. Liquid foundation is available for all skin types, and coverage can be varied with different application methods. Cream foundation is thicker and generally better for those with normal to dry skin, as it can break up on oily skin. Theatrical foundations are usually cream formulas because they are the most opaque.

Concealer is a product designed to work with foundation to hide imperfections such as dark circles, hyperpigmentation, redness, or blemishes. It comes in a variety of colors to cover different issues. Formulas can be cream, liquid, stick, pencil, or liquid. Green concealers are used to cover redness, orange or salmon concealers are used to cover purple or blue tones such as eye circles or bruises, yellow concealer covers purple imperfections like veins or eye circles, and lilac concealers are used to cover sallow skin. Concealer can also be skin colored, and used as a multipurpose coverup. Concealers can also be used to hide tattoos.

Setting powders are used to keep foundation in place once it is applied. They can be colored to match the skin, or translucent (transparent). Available as compacts or loose powders, they are a handy addition to keep makeup in place for those with normal to oily skin. If you have dry skin, powder is generally not needed and can have the adverse affect of making makeup look cakey.

Bronzer is a powder product designed to add a sun-kissed or tanned look to skin. It can be used to add a summery glow (if it contains shimmer) or to contour the face (if matte). It shouldn't be used all over the face, unless you're trying to look like you fell in dirt. Generally bronzer is applied to the areas of the face that the sun would naturally hit.

Blush is applied to the apples of the cheeks (the fat part that sticks out when you smile) and blended lightly upwards on the cheek bone. Available in tons of colors, it is used to add a healthy flush to the face, or to create dramatic "dolly" or avant-garde looks. Blush can be creamy, compact powder, loose powder, or a liquid tint.

Highlighter is a product used to add a subtle radiance to the face. It is applied on the brow bone, on the cheek bones, on the "cupid's bow" of the lips, and on the bridge of the nose. It is the opposite of bronzer, and is used to illuminate certain features when contouring. Highlighters can be liquid, cream, compact powder, loose powder, or pencils.

Setting Spray/Finishing Spray is a product that is similar to hair spray for your face. It "melts" the makeup onto your face and keeps it in place so that you don't need to reapply throughout the day. There are several formulas designed for different purposes (e.g. setting on oily skin, waterproofing, sealing theatrical paint, setting on dry skin). Model in a Bottle, Mehron Barrier Spray, Ben Nye Final Seal, and Kryolan Fixing Spray are heavy-duty sealers designed to keep makeup in place during theatrical performances, television/movies, photo shoots, and live events. Sprays like Urban Decay De-Slick (formulated for oily skin) or Urban Decay All-Nighter are for setting everyday makeup. Finishing sprays like MAC Fix+ or e.l.f. Mist & Set are designed to refresh makeup on dry or normal/dry skin and keep if from looking cakey.

The key to making makeup look best is making sure that it matches. Make sure that you are using products with the correct undertone for your skin, with the correct formulas for your skin, and that the products are all the same base (e.g. all water-based or all silicone-based). The general application order for face products is: primer, concealer, foundation, blush, bronzer, powder, spray. There are variations of this, usually flipping the foundation/concealer, or eliminating steps if a product isn't being used. There is no "right" way to do it, just do whatever works for you.
AdventurerEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 03:55 AM   #26
19ciel

thanks for all information this will help me I didn't understand the difference before so thanks for your help