Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > New York Comic Con

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-16-2013, 10:56 PM   #16
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakashi101 View Post
-The cosplay contest was a hot mess. And I'm from /cgl/ so I was peeved off when my normal friends were just super board with it. It wasn't worth the wait, lemme tellya.
4chan at it's finest y'all.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-17-2013, 08:36 AM   #17
TheActualHeavy

My biggest issue is with the amount of people they sell passes too. At certain points the main floor was so packed that I literally couldn't even get TO the tables/booths I wanted to visit. The organizers need to stop chasing every dollar they can by filling the place to capacity and cut back on the number of passes they offer for sale.

Costumes in the planning stage:
TF2 Medic, Demoman, and Pyro
TheActualHeavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #18
djlemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheActualHeavy View Post
My biggest issue is with the amount of people they sell passes too. At certain points the main floor was so packed that I literally couldn't even get TO the tables/booths I wanted to visit. The organizers need to stop chasing every dollar they can by filling the place to capacity and cut back on the number of passes they offer for sale.
Passes sold out so flippin fast I had to get mine from a scalper because I happened to be out of town the weekend they went on sale.

They've sorta outgrown the Javits center, but there's not really another good venue. I kinda like the crowds though, it's exhilarating.
Unread 10-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #19
Kakashi101
Fangirl with teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnarCHris View Post
4chan at it's finest y'all.
Come come now, you can't say it was good.
Unread 10-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #20
Ron Jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheActualHeavy View Post
They actually did cut down, last year they oversold big time and the Fire Marshal threatened to close the place down. The 501st booth was in the North Hall with the artist alley, I tried to get to the Hallmark booth for a photo shoot on Saturday I made it to the main hall via the Concourse and had to take off my helmet and turn around. That short walk took me 2 hours and 15 minutes because of all the requests for pictures the walk back with no helmet only took five minutes. People just cannot accept that picture requests are not always welcome.
Ron Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 08:25 AM   #21
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakashi101 View Post
Come come now, you can't say it was good.
I was referring to the fact that you've slammed it twice and both posts were chock full of grammarical errors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jr View Post
They actually did cut down, last year they oversold big time and the Fire Marshal threatened to close the place down. The 501st booth was in the North Hall with the artist alley, I tried to get to the Hallmark booth for a photo shoot on Saturday I made it to the main hall via the Concourse and had to take off my helmet and turn around. That short walk took me 2 hours and 15 minutes because of all the requests for pictures the walk back with no helmet only took five minutes. People just cannot accept that picture requests are not always welcome.
To be fair, last yer's problems were due to bootleg badges AND 10% of the Javitis being shut down due to contruction, not so much overselling badges. More badges were sold this year due to less 3 day and more single day badges, and crowding was down 40%, at least according to ReedPOP.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
Unread 10-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #22
KVN

I noticed that there were less large displays on the show floor this year. The convention seemed a bit "smaller" than it was last year.
KVN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 10:47 AM   #23
KVN

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlemma View Post
Passes sold out so flippin fast I had to get mine from a scalper because I happened to be out of town the weekend they went on sale.

They've sorta outgrown the Javits center, but there's not really another good venue. I kinda like the crowds though, it's exhilarating.
I got mine off of ebay and had to pay $120 for a 4 day pass. I didn't care for going all 4 days but I have to admit, I had a blast on thursday and will only buy 4 day passes from now on. But you are correct, passes this year were pretty much gone after the first day or so, which is ridiculous. I remember in 2010 simply walking up to a counter and buying a pass on the day of the convention, in mid afternoon, and with zero people ahead of me. Last year you could still buy a 3 or 4 day pass in late september, and I think they were still selling into October. The year before was similar. I don't understand how it goes from zero to 60 in the period of one comic con. It's absolute nonsense.
Unread 10-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #24
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVN View Post
I noticed that there were less large displays on the show floor this year. The convention seemed a bit "smaller" than it was last year.
Sony, Microsoft, Hasbro, DC didn't have their big booth this year.

Quote:
I got mine off of ebay and had to pay $120 for a 4 day pass. I didn't care for going all 4 days but I have to admit, I had a blast on thursday and will only buy 4 day passes from now on. But you are correct, passes this year were pretty much gone after the first day or so, which is ridiculous. I remember in 2010 simply walking up to a counter and buying a pass on the day of the convention, in mid afternoon, and with zero people ahead of me. Last year you could still buy a 3 or 4 day pass in late september, and I think they were still selling into October. The year before was similar. I don't understand how it goes from zero to 60 in the period of one comic con. It's absolute nonsense.
3-4 day passes sold out in a month last year. I know this because all my friends were asking for a hook up since August, when only a few single day passes were left.

It's bad now, but we haven't hit SDCC levels yet, and hopefully never. Because yo, a raffle would be the worst.

Unread 10-18-2013, 12:46 PM   #25
KVN

Quote:
Sony, Microsoft, Hasbro, DC didn't have their big booth this year.

3-4 day passes sold out in a month last year. I know this because all my friends were asking for a hook up since August, when only a few single day passes were left.

It's bad now, but we haven't hit SDCC levels yet, and hopefully never. Because yo, a raffle would be the worst.
That could explain it, but I just noticed a general toning down of a lot of displays, etc. The superman suits downstairs was a welcome surprise though.

I think in some places they were indeed sold out, but Midtown comics still had them in mid to late September, perhaps even in October. You should have gone there and gotten them. No more. I don't expect to see 3 or 4 day passes being sold in stores pass the first week from now on, and I'm probably being too generous with my estimate. Forbidden planet sold out within like half an hour, which is complete and total BS. I don't quite understand how far things have changed in just one year. The ticket situation has gotten worse ever year it seems. Get ready for that raffle.
Unread 10-18-2013, 01:09 PM   #26
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
That could explain it, but I just noticed a general toning down of a lot of displays, etc. The superman suits downstairs was a welcome surprise though.

I think in some places they were indeed sold out, but Midtown comics still had them in mid to late September, perhaps even in October. You should have gone there and gotten them. No more. I don't expect to see 3 or 4 day passes being sold in stores pass the first week from now on, and I'm probably being too generous with my estimate. Forbidden planet sold out within like half an hour, which is complete and total BS. I don't quite understand how far things have changed in just one year. The ticket situation has gotten worse ever year it seems. Get ready for that raffle.
I THINK Midtown sold out of 4 days badges at all their stores with 24 hours. Also demand if why things have changed. NYCC used to be SDCC lite, but it's proven itself and THE East Con, and is doing SDCC numbers.

For the short term its gonna suck, because it's going to get harder to get tickets if you're not online 24/7. Long term though, it could put some pressure on the Javitis to expand the center and get more space. But at least Reed is good on announcing when tickets go on sale with plenty in advance.

Unread 10-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #27
KVN

Quote:
I THINK Midtown sold out of 4 days badges at all their stores with 24 hours. Also demand if why things have changed. NYCC used to be SDCC lite, but it's proven itself and THE East Con, and is doing SDCC numbers.

For the short term its gonna suck, because it's going to get harder to get tickets if you're not online 24/7. Long term though, it could put some pressure on the Javitis to expand the center and get more space. But at least Reed is good on announcing when tickets go on sale with plenty in advance.
Yes, that's what happened this year, but last year was very different. Like I said, they still had 3 and 4 day passes into late September and possibly into October. Now they're selling out in 24 hours one year later? Something is not right about that.

Where are you supposed to look to watch out for the advanced tickets online?
Unread 10-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #28
djlemma

Quote:
Yes, that's what happened this year, but last year was very different. Like I said, they still had 3 and 4 day passes into late September and possibly into October. Now they're selling out in 24 hours one year later? Something is not right about that.

Where are you supposed to look to watch out for the advanced tickets online?
You were supposed to follow NYCC on twitter and facebook. They announced the online sales plenty in advance, but the 3 and 4 day passes sold out quickly online. I figured once they hit retail stores it would take a while for them to sell out, but that turned out not to be the case.

Also, they raised prices for single day passes, and I wonder if they made significantly less multi-day passes available so that they could take advantage of those higher prices.
Unread 10-18-2013, 06:01 PM   #29
KVN

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlemma View Post
You were supposed to follow NYCC on twitter and facebook. They announced the online sales plenty in advance, but the 3 and 4 day passes sold out quickly online. I figured once they hit retail stores it would take a while for them to sell out, but that turned out not to be the case.

Also, they raised prices for single day passes, and I wonder if they made significantly less multi-day passes available so that they could take advantage of those higher prices.
That sounds like a very sound theory, although they do raise prices every year either way. They also got rid of the Anime Convention that used to be part of Comic Con and their much lower 3 and 4 day passes that went with it.
Unread 10-19-2013, 12:01 AM   #30
Kakashi101
Fangirl with teeth

[quote=TheAnarCHris;4774034]I was referring to the fact that you've slammed it twice and both posts were chock full of grammarical errors.

I am slamming it because it was awkward and boring.