Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Unread 10-04-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
Ninbri
omnomnom~♥

TheCosplayFox ... Customer Service Review

UPDATE***********
I received the package (today is october 14th) and the headpiece was missing from the box. I brought it to Cosplay Fox's attentipon and she just kept telling me to take it up with USPS because her business with me is done. This costume is now UNWEARABLE as it is incomplete and my convention is four days away, so even if the post office did lose it, they aren't going to magically find it, and even if they did give me compensation, that still doesnt change the fact that I don't have a costume to wear now. She asked what do I want her to do and I suggested make me another one or I can send the whole costume back and she said she is NOT making me another one and she keeps insisting that it was in the box to save her ass. The box was undamaged and unopened upon my receiving it. The post office didn't lose shit, she neglected to put it in the box.

FINAL GRADE: F-

I commissioned Cosplay Fox for a Sophitia Alexandra costume from the video game Soul Calibur II. I paid for the commission in full on July 14th, 2013. I paid a total of $125. $100 for the costume, and $25 for shipping. The costume included everything; a complete cosplay, minus a wig. My convention is October 18-20, but I informed her that I wanted the cosplay in my hands by at the very least, October 1st, so in case anything was wrong, damaged, or delayed, I would have plenty of time to go and get it fixed, or to receive it. I had gotten plenty of pictures when she first started, but then for about 20 days I got none, she hasn't even been working on it for that much and I got pretty worried, so I told her how worried I was like around September 20th, because I also had a con at the end of August I asked her if it could be ready for, and at first she said she probably could, then she said no she couldn't last minute. But anyways, she basically rushed on it for about 15 days. I just now, today, got a picture of the receipt of shipment (which she told me she was going to ship last Monday, and then that changed to Wednesday, so basically she told me she shipped it Wednesday and the tracking number she gave me today says it was accepted today. So, basically, I got lied to. AND then today she said she didn't even know what day she sent it or what method she used) but, on the receipt, it turned out to be standard post (5-10 day shipment). Basically, I'll probably have the cosplay by my convention, and don't get me wrong, this isn't a negative review based on the cosplay itself (that will update when I do receive it, if it was good or bad, to go along with my review), but more on her customer service, attitude, and my overall experience with her.

Each and everyone of you might not think $7.56 is a large enough amount of money to get upset over losing, but I am pretty upset. The shipping cost was $17.44, I saw it on the receipt. I paid $25, and expected a faster shipment than this, since my sub deadline was already missed (as it needed to be shipped out at least by the 25th of September in order for me to get it by when I wanted it).

I asked her for a refund of the difference on the shipping costs ($7.56), and she said no, because the price for the cosplay was already extremely low. I mean, just because you decided to charge a certain amount, why does that mean I am not able to get the money back that was for shipping, that wasn't in fact used for shipping? Why does that mean you get to keep it? Basically her defense was 'Well, also I have a lot of commissioner friends who say you argue with them a lot and never commission from them and etc'. I have only commissioned from one person besides this, and that was Erisaka, and I loved all of the work she has given me! (props to her)! But so her excuse to not give me the difference owed from shipping is because I was going to 'leave a negative review no matter what she said or did', when the only reason I brought up the negative review was because she told me she wasn't going to refund me and kept handing me excuses. (To be honest, I was going to omit most of the stuff that we had went through, like the no communication, because this is my last con I am going to be able to attend for awhile, and as long as I had it by when I wanted it I'd be happy, because I get how busy you get, and can't always reply all the time.)
She basically unfriended me on facebook, told me I was harassing her, and said "Make your thread because I'm not dealing with this anymore."

And please don't flame for leaving this just because I haven't got the cosplay yet. I will edit this post with a SEPARATE review based on what I get, in detail and with pictures. The review above is basically on her customer service.

Just wanted to make this right and honestly this would have been dropped had she refunded me. She says $7.56 is stupid to write a negative review about, well if it's that stupid, why is it so hard to refund it to me? My money might not mean a lot to you guys, or I might come off as stingy, but if she had actually made my sub deadline I probably wouldn't have asked for the money back. I work hard for my money, like the majority of us all do. Every penny for me helps.

Basically pinning everything on me though and calling me a bad customer and giving excuse after excuse is not a good reason to unfriend me and basically not try to solve the problem.

Final Grade for Customer Service: D-

---------------------------------------------------------------

Cosplay Received: No date as of yet
Quality: N/A
Pros: N/A
Cons: N/A
Final Grade For Cosplay: N/A

Next Con: Mechacon
Saturday:
Stewardess Stocking
Sunday:

Facebook: link
DeviantArt: HERE

Last edited by Ninbri : 10-14-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Ninbri is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #2
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

Quick question: Did she pay for a box? Because that could be adding to the price as well.
Unread 10-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #3
Ninbri
omnomnom~♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichigo_m. View Post
Quick question: Did she pay for a box? Because that could be adding to the price as well.
It probably would have to be shipped in a box, so I'm not sure if she actually went out and bought a box or not, but she never informed me of that. I would have assumed she would have told me that that is where part of the leftover money went to, but instead she just told me the only reason she wouldn't refund me is because I was going to leave a negative review no matter what she did and I was a bad customer.

So to answer your question: no idea. :P

Saturday:
Stewardess Stocking
Sunday:

Unread 10-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #4
palmtree_freak
Not freaky for palmtrees

I hate to hear that I really hope you get your costume in time. I've never personally commissioned anything for you, but I've dealt with you in the marketplace before and you've always been super friendly and fast with replies.
Propaholics Commissions
palmtree_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #5
Ninbri
omnomnom~♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtree_freak View Post
I hate to hear that I really hope you get your costume in time. I've never personally commissioned anything for you, but I've dealt with you in the marketplace before and you've always been super friendly and fast with replies.

Awwwww thank you so much. ; o ;
I hope I get it too. I mean, I'm almost sure I'll get it in time for the con.. (if Tropical Storm Karen doesn't turn into a hurricane, since I live in Florida right in the eye of it), but if it's damaged.. man.. I'm screwed. x_x

Saturday:
Stewardess Stocking
Sunday:

Unread 10-04-2013, 11:25 PM   #6
Chao-Fangirl
Plushie Artist

So what if it was "only $7.56"? Unless that money was spent on shipping supplies and/or transportation to/from the post office, she overcharged you on the shipping and owes you the difference, plain and simple.

What some people don't seem to understand is that those small amounts from being overcharged for shipping add up fast. Let's say you buy from 10 people within a six month span and they all overcharge you for shipping by an average of $4. That's $40 total that you could have spent on something else during those six months or at a later date.

http://www.a-chan--creations.deviantart.com
Chao-Fangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 11:49 PM   #7
palmtree_freak
Not freaky for palmtrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chao-Fangirl View Post
So what if it was "only $7.56"? Unless that money was spent on shipping supplies and/or transportation to/from the post office, she overcharged you on the shipping and owes you the difference, plain and simple.

What some people don't seem to understand is that those small amounts from being overcharged for shipping add up fast. Let's say you buy from 10 people within a six month span and they all overcharge you for shipping by an average of $4. That's $40 total that you could have spent on something else during those six months or at a later date.
That's a pretty valid point. As a commissioner myself just to cover my butt since I never can pinpoint shipping down to the dollar (depends on where you live, size, what day it's shipped, etc.) I just ballpark as best I can and present shipping and labor as one cost. Instead of saying "Oh I need 50.00 up front for materials then 75.00 for labor and then 25.00 for shipping" I just say "I need 50.00 up front for materials and then 100.00 for labor and shipping."

That way if I over guessed and say I allotted 25.00 in a 100.00 labor and shipping quote and I only spent 20.00 then that 5.00 just gets rolled over into labor, but on the same note if I underestimate I just take it out of my labor, so it all evens out over time.
Propaholics Commissions
palmtree_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 12:10 AM   #8
Ninbri
omnomnom~♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chao-Fangirl View Post

Oh God, this is great, I was expecting someone to get on here and say I was crazy or cheap for wanting my money back and to just let it go. T o T
Regardless, I can't get it back unless she did it voluntarily, because PayPal has exceeded the 45 day limit, but hey. At least I can warn others that she does not do a fair practice (at least not in my experience).

That's very true, though. It DOES add up, and I am an 18 year old with no steady job, trying to go to college, survive, etc, which no is not an excuse for me but I NEED any extra money that I can get, and if the $7.56 wasn't used for shipping, it just went into her pocket.

Thank you for understanding. T o T

Saturday:
Stewardess Stocking
Sunday:

Unread 10-05-2013, 12:15 AM   #9
Demek
Demekian The Namekian

$125 for a full costume (excluding the wig) is more than a deal. I don't see the reasoning behind making a fuss over $7.56 which most likely went towards gas/tape/a box. Just because the commissioner didn't say thats what it went towards doesn't mean it didn't. There are little things that obviously weren't factored in. To me when you two agreed on a price for the commission it was a done deal. I'm sure plenty people have commissioned costumes/props, gotten quoted for it and then the shipping ended up being less than what they expect but DIDN'T get a refund for the difference.The price is pretty low ( be it her choice to quote you that low or not it was still low) 15 days is more than enough time to get a costume done. As far as a review goes this is far from one.
Demek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 12:21 AM   #10
Ninbri
omnomnom~♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demek View Post
$125 for a full costume (excluding the wig) is more than a deal. I don't see the reasoning behind making a fuss over $7.56 which most likely went towards gas/tape/a box. Just because the commissioner didn't say thats what it went towards doesn't mean it didn't. There are little things that obviously weren't factored in. To me when you two agreed on a price for the commission it was a done deal. I'm sure plenty people have commissioned costumes/props, gotten quoted for it and then the shipping ended up being less than what they expect but DIDN'T get a refund for the difference.The price is pretty low ( be it her choice to quote you that low or not it was still low) 15 days is more than enough time to get a costume done. As far as a review goes this is far from one.
I'm guessing you are one of her friends? You live in the same city/state as her. I mean, don't get me wrong, that's just a little coincidental. But, anyways, no, it is NOT unreasonable for me to ask for the difference in shipping back.It was her own choice to quote me as high or as low as she wanted to - and she even told me that shipping came out to be less than she had originally guessed (the original guess was $25), so, obviously, $7.56 of that didn't go towards any makings of the costume. And even if it did, she still owes me the money, because that's on her if she underestimated the cost of the costume. She didn't meet my deadline. Sure, I'll probably receive the costume in time for the convention, but that is not when we discussed that I would get it. She lied to me when she would ship it, saying it was shipped last Wednesday and the tracking number says it was accepted right after I asked her about it today. In my book, she missed the deadline. She is the one that told me to go ahead and make the thread, so hey, I did.

Saturday:
Stewardess Stocking
Sunday:

Last edited by Ninbri : 10-05-2013 at 12:24 AM.
Unread 10-05-2013, 12:34 AM   #11
Demek
Demekian The Namekian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninbri View Post
I'm guessing you are one of her friends? You live in the same city/state as her. I mean, don't get me wrong, that's just a little coincidental. But, anyways, no, it is NOT unreasonable for me to ask for the difference in shipping back.It was her own choice to quote me as high or as low as she wanted to - and she even told me that shipping came out to be less than she had originally guessed (the original guess was $25), so, obviously, $7.56 of that didn't go towards any makings of the costume. And even if it did, she still owes me the money, because that's on her if she underestimated the cost of the costume. She didn't meet my deadline. Sure, I'll probably receive the costume in time for the convention, but that is not when we discussed that I would get it. She lied to me when she would ship it, saying it was shipped last Wednesday and the tracking number says it was accepted right after I asked her about it today. In my book, she missed the deadline. She is the one that told me to go ahead and make the thread, so hey, I did.
Even if $7.56 didn't go towards the CREATION of the costume it more than likely went towards the packaging & delivery of the costume to the post office and no I'm a previous local customer,Far from friends. While you think it make not be unreasonable for you ask for the difference in shipping back the commissioner is not required to issue you a refund for the difference. Basically after reading this thread all I see is she got paid $7.56 for labor which still most likely went towards something related to the costume.
Unread 10-05-2013, 12:36 AM   #12
KatTehninja

I think it's alright for you to want the difference from your shipping cost, but I also agree that it probably went to something else. (I'm just as cheap, it's not a big deal. I understand, even $5 is worth making a fuss about). Understanding the cost of costumes is very important. And yes, if it didn't go to shipping, it went to something else. I have given you a quote before, you know of me. Jaden gives VERY reasonable deals. She could easily have charged you much more, and seems to have charged you around $3-4 an hour for labor, or even less. And, as far as the deadline issue, commissioners have a lot of work to do. Even I will work until the last minute on a costume, if the customer has allowed me the time. Though, I usually send the costume about 1-2 weeks before the convention it's going to be worn for.. which is what it sounds like she's done for you.
Anyway, back to a point, quotes are mostly given overall. Since most people don't understand the REAL cost of a costume and labor, I've come to understand that we all pretty much try to soften the blow of "Oh, it'll cost this much" by including shipping in the cost. I usually pay for half of the shipping for customers, but i include that in my quotes, most of the time. You can't really calculate exact cost of shipping unless you've got the exact address, right? I usually give a general estimate of $10-$15.
And again, if it didn't ALL go to shipping, it probably went to unexpected material costs/gas/labor/etc.

So, I agree but disagree.
KatTehninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 12:43 AM   #13
VampireHugs21
Cosplayer/Photographer

Edit

But vampires don't hug...

Last edited by VampireHugs21 : 08-13-2014 at 11:37 PM.
VampireHugs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 01:19 AM   #14
KatTehninja

It's kind of like how a commissioner doesn't send you the left over fabric or materials from a costume, even though you technically paid for it.
LIKE VAMPIREHUGS SAID. You agreed to pay a set price.
KatTehninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 08:52 AM   #15
Dreamerwolf

I'm agreeing with Vampirehugs here. Calculating shipping isn't easy especially before you've started because so much can effect the price. You won't have an exact weight or size of box needed, so you do an estimate. Sometimes it's a bit more or a bit less, but you agreed on a shipping price before hand. I do many commissions of items and I know from my personal experience, I've had to eat shipping costs of up to $15 because the package ended up getting surcharged for size, but I don't ask the commissioner to make up that price because we had a set agreement. On the other hand, sometimes it is less and I don't refund it either. I don't think it's trying to cheat a person. There's very little chance of Cosplayfox being able to estimate '17.44' as the shipping cost. Plus there is the tape, packing materials/box/gas ect which is part of it all.

I understand how valuable your money is to you and I also agree that there's a valid problem because of the deadline issue, which was not met as agreed and asking for a refund because of /that/ is more valid an argument than because of the actual shipping cost over the agreed upon price.
-Doctor Who: Femme 11
-'Furry' Tardis, as a cat

Possible Future
-Femme 11 (7b - Purple coat)
-Rose, New Earth
-Femme 4
Dreamerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote