Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Unread 10-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #16
Chao-Fangirl
Plushie Artist

They also agreed on $100.00 for time, labor, and supplies, not $107.56.

The reason TheCosplayFox had given for not refunding the difference on shipping (according to the OP of this thread) was "because the price for the cosplay was already extremely low". There was no mention of the $7.56 going towards shipping supplies or transportation to/from the post office, which is the only justifiable reason that I would see here for not refunding it.

A legitimate commissioner would not ask for more money for time, labor, and supplies after agreeing on a price, right? Then why would it be acceptable for them to apply leftover shipping funds to that?

Whether a commissioner ends up overcharging or undercharging for something, I honestly don't feel that the client should ever be punished for that. If a commissioner makes a mistake, then it is their responsibility to own up to it and learn from it.

http://www.a-chan--creations.deviantart.com
Chao-Fangirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-05-2013, 11:41 AM   #17
angelbabycakes
Scorchcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chao-Fangirl View Post
They also agreed on $100.00 for time, labor, and supplies, not $107.56.

The reason TheCosplayFox had given for not refunding the difference on shipping (according to the OP of this thread) was "because the price for the cosplay was already extremely low". There was no mention of the $7.56 going towards shipping supplies or transportation to/from the post office, which is the only justifiable reason that I would see here for not refunding it.

A legitimate commissioner would not ask for more money for time, labor, and supplies after agreeing on a price, right? Then why would it be acceptable for them to apply leftover shipping funds to that?

Whether a commissioner ends up overcharging or undercharging for something, I honestly don't feel that the client should ever be punished for that. If a commissioner makes a mistake, then it is their responsibility to own up to it and learn from it.
I have to agree with this. If the extra money went towards these things, why was the customer told otherwise? I'd also like to point out that charging that much for gas, tape, and a box (which you get free from many places) is quite absurd. If the commissioner charges for this, fine, but be fair. I am going to guess the commissioner didn't go to the post office simply to ship the OP's item alone...so gas split however many ways might be a dollar...most likely less. Now tape...the commissioner obviously did not use a whole roll, so even charging a dollar for the portion of tape used is overpriced, but we will say a dollar. Boxes of various sizes are free. We might be up to $2.

So refund $5. Keep $2.56 or whatnot for the extra, but tell people upfront. Integrity as a commissioner is important to customers. If a commissioner chooses to nickle and dime, a customer is able to do the same.

Commissioners I have worked with have charged shipping and refunded what wasn't used if under the thought cost. As a customer, I see this and feel good. I know the commissioner has integrity and didn't just pocket my money for additional charges not mentioned (or a quick extra buck).

Again, I too, find it a valid point to charge for materials if this was told upfront...maybe even if this was told in the aftermath, but according to the OP, this wasn't the reason for the extra charges.

Was the price a good deal? Absolutely. I'd have jumped on that deal in a heartbeat too, lol. If I had a good experience I would have gladly just said not to worry about the change, but a deadline was missed and to my understanding from what the OP said, it also was supposed to be shipped with faster shipping. The commissioner should have shipped with the shipping the OP wanted/asked for...especially since a due date was missed.

In all honesty, shipping the slowest option saves money, but if you've missed a due date as a commissioner, you shouldn't use that option. It comes across as you just trying to save money and pocket the rest, whether that be the case or not.

Last edited by angelbabycakes : 10-05-2013 at 11:46 AM.
angelbabycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #18
palmtree_freak
Not freaky for palmtrees

^^^^ This all of this.

I think the point that a few people are missing on this thread is that she isn't wanted the refund because of the wrong quote. From what I understand from the OP it's more of a bad customer service thing. If the costume had been shipped on time and in her hands like they had agreed then there would not be an issue. It's not an issue of 7 odd dollars it's an issue of integrity. If you tell a customer they will have something by a certain date then they should have it, if not yes you should refund something. And from what I read in the first post this wasn't the first broken deadline. If I read correctly Ninbri asked for the costume by the end of August and was told at first that she would have it and then turned around on and said that she couldn't have it.

But from my understanding what really escalated this was the commissioners response to her wanting her money back. She was told she was a "bad customer", that she wasn't going to do it because she was "going to write a bad review anyway", and "I gave you a cheap price so why should you even care." Yes it's a bit silly to want that amount of money but TheCosplayFox should have been more professional about it.

As a commissioner I pride myself on customer service and bend over backwards to not only meet deadlines but exceed them and get you your product early. The more I read on these forums the more I feel like some commissioners are losing site of what's really important (someone getting to cosplay and have fun and show off their work) and just want to make a quick dollar. Cosplay is about FUN and meeting people that you could have never imagined meeting that have the same likes as you.

I just feel like this site isn't what it used to be. Two years ago when I joined here, I very rarely saw threads like this giving bad reviews. No pretty much the whole Commissioner review thread is nothing but bad reviews and scam stories. Maybe one or two a page are actual happy customers. So either the happy and satisfied customers just don't speak up anymore or the integrity of this site really has dropped that far.

>.< sorry I'll get off my soapbox now.
Propaholics Commissions
palmtree_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #19
Ninbri
omnomnom~♥

I mean, hey guys, I do have all of her messages I can screenshot for anyone who thinks I'm making anything up. If she didn't calculate everything correctly then why punish me for her mistake? She knew since July 14th that I wanted it by October 1st. She had alllllll that time to finish it. A convention came up at the end of August and I asked her if she could have it done by then she said yes she could and then closer to the date she said there's no way she can. So then she didn't even work on my stuff for the next month basically. Now the package is supposed to arrive while I am out of town, so either they won't deliver it, or it will be left on my front porch for a week. It is supposed to arrive the day after I leave. And honestly, I doubt she had to go out and buy a whole new roll of tape and go fill up her tank just for my box. She had lots of other things she was shipping out, or so she said. What really irked me is when she lied and said she had shipped it Wednesday but if I had not asked for a tracking number yesterday, it STILL probably wouldn't be shipped out.

Next Con: Mechacon
Saturday:
Stewardess Stocking
Sunday:

Facebook: link
DeviantArt: HERE
Ninbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 02:47 PM   #20
Millions_Knives

$100?
did she make any money after material costs lol
she sure better charge way more next time or get a part time job
cuz working weeks for chump change isnt worth the drama in most cases
leads to one less skilled commissioner out there to ask from
once they realize low balling isnt worth it to build a portfolio
and more for me when i ask $100+ base labor plus materials and shipping

Learn how to make anything cosplay.
OVER 300 COSPLAY TUTORIAL VIDEOS
my noncompetitive portfolio
things made for others or lolz
Millions_Knives is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #21
angelbabycakes
Scorchcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millions_Knives View Post
$100?
did she make any money after material costs lol
she sure better charge way more next time or get a part time job
cuz working weeks for chump change isnt worth the drama in most cases
leads to one less skilled commissioner out there to ask from
once they realize low balling isnt worth it to build a portfolio
and more for me when i ask $100+ base labor plus materials and shipping
Lol. As a side note this guy is a commissioner I'd really love to work with. Talented and makes quality things. He is beyond detailed and informative, as well as upfront about everything. He stays busy. Hope to get a spot and the money to work with him one day.

You are right though. There are so many commissioners around. Some worth the price, others not. Commissioners should make a profit by what they're doing, but they should also produce quality products and quality customer service.
angelbabycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 05:11 PM   #22
JasonTerror
Now known as Sailor Jeimi

This is why I use flat rate regardless..If the customer asks "why use that when a non flat rate could cost a little less?", I tell them, "would you rather know exactly what you are paying up front? Or would you rather wait and risk it possibly costing more?" Good way to see the reasoning in that..I do think she should refund that little bit. If it happens to me, I do it too. I make sure that I put in the quote, that shippin gI will charge this much, but if it's less, I will refund them, and to keep the message or screen shot it for their records. That way, if I were to say no, they can pull that out. It's a legal agreement at that point. I have to legally do it. It's fair to them.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Sakuracon 2014:
-Stocking Anarchy (Panty & Stocking. Normal Ver.)
-Marluxia (Kingdom Hearts Chain Of Memories)
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #23
DarkCloudInc
S. M. R. T. I mean...

You apparently liked the price since you agreed to it during negotiations. Bottom line is you agreed to it.
---
Planned Cosplay 2014 - Winged Armor Year: Tentative
Pegasus God Cloth - Silver [Saint Seiya]
ACen?: Sat?
DarkCloudInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #24
Aqua's Rhapsody
FIERCE!

If I over quote people on materials or shipping, I give them their money back. If I didn't charge enough for something else then that is my own fault. I understand that people all do business differently; that is just the way that I feel the most comfortable doing it.

Last edited by Aqua's Rhapsody : 10-06-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Aqua's Rhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #25
Ninbri
omnomnom~♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCloudInc View Post
You apparently liked the price since you agreed to it during negotiations. Bottom line is you agreed to it.

Bottom line is she also agreed to meet my deadline, (which she ended up not being able to do). Bottom line is it's my money, to spend what I want to spend it on. $100 was agreed to go to the cosplay, and $25 was agreed to go to shipping. If you try to save on shipping, that's money you saved ME. Not money you can put in your pocket.

Say me and you were friends in real life, and I gave you $25 at the store to go buy milk, bread, a pack of soda, and dinner for the night. Suppose all of that only totaled up to $20, yet when you get back you tell me it cost the whole $25 and now you have a free $5.

Next Con: Mechacon
Saturday:
Stewardess Stocking
Sunday:

Facebook: link
DeviantArt: HERE
Ninbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 09:22 PM   #26
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

I would have to agree that she quote $25 for shipping, that's what you paid her. It's hers now.
Sure, it's a high shipping estimate, but it's much better for her to have been high than for her to have been under.

I personally just add shipping to my original quotes so that way people don't have to worry about shipping cost, because it's already built in.
(Also, don't show people how much you paid for shipping, that's just not good business, just like you shouldn't say how much you paid for materials. A Quote is a quote. You, as a commissioner, use the money how you see best.)

Edit: Also, there's a difference between friends giving you back the 5 dollars, and commissioner giving it back. You are not friends, you are business partners.

Side note: I know I asked if that went to the box, but it also could have gone for the gas needed to get to the post office, not all of it of course, but there are many things it could go to. That aren't so crazy.

Last edited by ichigo_m. : 10-07-2013 at 09:27 PM.
ichigo_m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 11:03 PM   #27
Suuki
Sakura Chan

I personally had a bad experience with Ninbri as a seller.
Basically I kept asking for pictures of an item and she told me to check the thread for them. I did. Never found them. She kept dodging the question, and I kept asking her nicely for pictures. She told me she was on mobile and couldn't do that, but would later. And told me again to check the thread.. Later came, and still no pictures. She proceeded to reply with "Learn to read" and that she "doesn't want to sell this to me." And to "stop messaging her" ..
Really just an overall bad experience. (I thought she was trying to scam me at first.. It was just really shady and all her replies were cold and rude) I never did get those pictures, but I ended up sewing my own in the end.

Knowing this, I wouldn't be surprised if Ninbri was harassing her.

How I feel about this is that the price she quoted you was the price she quoted. Would it be any different if she just gave you a flat rate cost of 125$ ? I commission from a lot of people.. sometimes I don't know where the money goes or how much went to shipping and other times they just tell me 20$ . And I am sure that the exact shipping isn't 20$.. It is just the price that they estimated. Heck, I see plenty of people do this in the marketplace.. They give a cost in whole numbers. They probably end up pocketing some change because of it.. Are they all in the wrong?
I agree with everyone that said that high balling is better than low balling.

Since you are the customer, though, she should be doing everything in her power to please you.. We really don't have the full story here and we don't know if you were actually harassing her or not. Which I am not accusing you of doing. Maybe you could provide screenshots?
It really is only one side of the story.
Anime Expo 2014
Sukoshi Con 2014
Pokecon 2014

Cosplays
Naruto Uzumaki (Shippuden/Konoha High)
Naruko - Fem!Naru (Shippuden/Konoha High/Maid)
Sakura Haruno (Shippuden)
Hinata Hyuga (Shippuden)
Karin Uzumaki (Shippuden)
Sakura Kasugano (Street Fighter)

Progress: Kyle Brofloski (South Park), Misa Amane (Death Note), Karin Anbu (Naruto- Original Design), Saria (Legend of Zelda)
Suuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 11:44 PM   #28
DarkCloudInc
S. M. R. T. I mean...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninbri View Post
Bottom line is she also agreed to meet my deadline, (which she ended up not being able to do). Bottom line is it's my money, to spend what I want to spend it on. $100 was agreed to go to the cosplay, and $25 was agreed to go to shipping. If you try to save on shipping, that's money you saved ME. Not money you can put in your pocket.[...]
The agreement she made between her and the delivery company is between her and the delivery company, separate from the agreement you made between you and her.
---
Planned Cosplay 2014 - Winged Armor Year: Tentative
Pegasus God Cloth - Silver [Saint Seiya]
ACen?: Sat?
DarkCloudInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 11:52 PM   #29
JasonTerror
Now known as Sailor Jeimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suuki View Post
I personally had a bad experience with Ninbri as a seller.
Basically I kept asking for pictures of an item and she told me to check the thread for them. I did. Never found them. She kept dodging the question, and I kept asking her nicely for pictures. She told me she was on mobile and couldn't do that, but would later. And told me again to check the thread.. Later came, and still no pictures. She proceeded to reply with "Learn to read" and that she "doesn't want to sell this to me." And to "stop messaging her" ..
Really just an overall bad experience. (I thought she was trying to scam me at first.. It was just really shady and all her replies were cold and rude) I never did get those pictures, but I ended up sewing my own in the end.

Knowing this, I wouldn't be surprised if Ninbri was harassing her.

How I feel about this is that the price she quoted you was the price she quoted. Would it be any different if she just gave you a flat rate cost of 125$ ? I commission from a lot of people.. sometimes I don't know where the money goes or how much went to shipping and other times they just tell me 20$ . And I am sure that the exact shipping isn't 20$.. It is just the price that they estimated. Heck, I see plenty of people do this in the marketplace.. They give a cost in whole numbers. They probably end up pocketing some change because of it.. Are they all in the wrong?
I agree with everyone that said that high balling is better than low balling.

Since you are the customer, though, she should be doing everything in her power to please you.. We really don't have the full story here and we don't know if you were actually harassing her or not. Which I am not accusing you of doing. Maybe you could provide screenshots?
It really is only one side of the story.
Honestly..I sorta know what you mean..

I was in the market for a Stocking wig, which I'm no longer looking for. And I asked about hers. She kept the messages to one short sentance 9if you can call them that) each..I asked if she still had her wig and she said she had one. I asked her in the past for one, and she seemed to had sold that one, but mentioned another one (which, why sell one if you are just gonna buy another one) and I asked for pics of it. Not a single message after that made sense..One just literally said "email"....Nothing else..When I asked for pics, she said "email"..Like, Ok what? I said I didn't understand or whatever, and to know if I can still get pics..The next message I couldn't even comprehend..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Sakuracon 2014:
-Stocking Anarchy (Panty & Stocking. Normal Ver.)
-Marluxia (Kingdom Hearts Chain Of Memories)
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 12:06 AM   #30
Cyanna
Yarrrrn Pirate

To put a new spin on it...I've had commissions where I needed more materials then I originally quoted the client. I've also lost almost $100 worth of labor hours on a job I severely underestimated how long would take.

But the same agreement that keeps Ninbri from getting the benefit of Fox's savings is what keeps me from asking for more money when I under budget. A quote is a quote.

Next conventions: Anime Next, Otakon
Currently working on (commission): Mabel Pines "music note" (Gravity Falls)
Currently working on (personal): Fem!Pacha (The Emperor's New Groove)
Cyanna is offline   Reply With Quote