Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Unread 10-10-2013, 02:51 PM   #1
Seven
(Neoqueenhoneybee)

Heard From Fantasy Props? (mike@fantasyprops.com)

I was just wondering if anyone has had any email correspondence with Mike within the last few months? I don't want to jump to any conclusions about my commission status, so I thought I'd ask around to see if he is alive and well.

I've read both good and bad reviews on Fantasy Props, but decided to take the chance and commissioned him last November (and sent him a $100 deposit). Unfortunately the last I heard from him was in January and I have sent quite a few follow up emails.

EDIT: I'm setting up a list of those who have commissioned Mike and either received or not received his/her prop. Please post here if you've commissioned Mike before; both positive or negative results.

Negative
August 2011 - Pingu4u2 - never received commission/Mike cut contact
July 2012 - SailorAstera - never received commission/Mike cut contact
November 2012 - Seven - never received commission/Mike cut contact
November 23, 2013 - Manbeast75 - never received commission/Mike cut contact

Working On:
Leen (Grandia)
Goku Nami (One Piece DBZ Crossover)
Nico Robin (One Piece Water 7)
Elesa (Pokemon B/W)

In Queue:
Mei (Pokemon B/W 2)
Panne (Fire Emblem Awakening)
Illumi (HunterxHunter)
Janice (Chrono Cross)
Mir (Ar Tonelico)
Toph (ATLA Old Friends)
Solid Snake Lolita (Beat Down Boogie)

Last edited by Seven : 12-23-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Seven is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-16-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
Pingu4u2

You're probably out of luck. ):

I commissioned this guy back in August 20, 2011. Yes, I had to go check my email to make sure it really was that long ago =__=. He gave a reasonable quote for doing the blue flames for my Rin Okumura cosplay (including LED light ups for it). I paid him half, and did not hear anything from him. I had consistently emailed every one to two months asking for updates, and each time, he responded that he's running behind on commissions. The last time I emailed him was in July 5, 2012. He never responded back. I'm pretty disappointed, especially since I heard so much good stuff about him here, and his work looked really professional.

I'll probably also try to contact him again, but it really doesn't look promising.
Pingu4u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 10:13 PM   #3
Seven
(Neoqueenhoneybee)

That is unfortunate. I'm sorry to hear that you've been waiting so long for your commission. Or at least a refund. :/ If he took my commission during the time he was not responding to you, or working on your commission....it seems probable that we've been scammed.

His work DOES look professional and awesome, so I agree that it is a shame.

I'm curious to know if he is still taking commissions while he has at least two outstanding orders, and refuses to respond to email inquiries.

Fortunately I have since found a different prop maker to work on my own LED sword. It's not done yet, but they keep in contact and post WIP pictures up on FB. A much better experience all around.

Working On:
Leen (Grandia)
Elesa (Pokemon B/W)

In Queue:
Mei (Pokemon B/W 2)
Illumi (HunterxHunter)
Janice (Chrono Cross)
Mir (Ar Tonelico)
Toph (ATLA Old Friends)
Unread 10-29-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
SailorAstera

I ordered a prop from him in 2012 for Anime Boston 2013. He had 8 months to make it and he basically never contacted me. I had to message him a lot to try to get the status of my commission. He missed the deadline so I asked for a refund of the $75 materials fee. He said he would pay me the refund by the end of June. I still don't have the refund and he no longer replies to my messages. It's too late to file a PayPal claim.

I don't know what's going on with him but he's super seriously unprofessional.
SailorAstera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #5
Seven
(Neoqueenhoneybee)

Such a shame....his work looks amazing...

Sorry you've been left without a prop as well. I wish there were some way to tell people to not commission him. At least until he finishes his standing orders. :/

Working On:
Leen (Grandia)
Elesa (Pokemon B/W)

In Queue:
Mei (Pokemon B/W 2)
Illumi (HunterxHunter)
Janice (Chrono Cross)
Mir (Ar Tonelico)
Toph (ATLA Old Friends)
Unread 12-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
Manbeast75

I contacted Mike November 23rd. 2013 and he responded within the hour to my initial email. He was in constant contact, provided update pics of the project, even as far as showing me the finished product on December 17th. And right after he showed me the pic he took of the final prop (Skyrim's Blade of Woe) He cut all contact with me. His website went down, even though he still owns the IP, and disconnected the proxy of mike@fantasyprops.com Luckily I'm still within PayPal's time to file a claim. Just disappointing someone with his talent and skill decides to fulfill under 1/2 of his paid commissions, essentially scamming the rest.

I personally should've done a little more research on him before paying, but it doesn't change that my numerous calls since his disconnect have gone unanswered, and my current open PayPal dispute hasn't been acknowledged. I do have his personal number used to first register his site though, still nothing from that.
Manbeast75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 09:52 PM   #7
Seven
(Neoqueenhoneybee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manbeast75 View Post
I contacted Mike November 23rd. 2013 and he responded within the hour to my initial email. He was in constant contact, provided update pics of the project, even as far as showing me the finished product on December 17th. And right after he showed me the pic he took of the final prop (Skyrim's Blade of Woe) He cut all contact with me. His website went down, even though he still owns the IP, and disconnected the proxy of mike@fantasyprops.com Luckily I'm still within PayPal's time to file a claim. Just disappointing someone with his talent and skill decides to fulfill under 1/2 of his paid commissions, essentially scamming the rest.

I personally should've done a little more research on him before paying, but it doesn't change that my numerous calls since his disconnect have gone unanswered, and my current open PayPal dispute hasn't been acknowledged. I do have his personal number used to first register his site though, still nothing from that.
And another non-fulfilled commission to add to the list. The fact that he's still taking commissions with so many unfinished products feels like a scam to me. :/

Now I'm wondering if he's even making the props. Do you think he's stealing pictures from other prop makers and claiming it's his work? Otherwise, why not send you the commission if he had already finished it?

Working On:
Leen (Grandia)
Elesa (Pokemon B/W)

In Queue:
Mei (Pokemon B/W 2)
Illumi (HunterxHunter)
Janice (Chrono Cross)
Mir (Ar Tonelico)
Toph (ATLA Old Friends)