Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
Lucindra
Lollypop Addict

Re-sizing a small corset

There's a corset I need to buy + modify for a costume... and I found the perfect one on clearance from a local online store...the only thing is the size they carry is 2 sizes too small.

It's a waistline corset that doubles as one of those Orthopedic vests as well, so the back is like any regular tank top.

What I'm wondering is... if I take apart the back stitch from the middle and put in eyelets to turn it into a lace up at the back... will it still be form fitting? Has anyone tried this?

It won't have any overall impact to the costume design (in fact I think it adds to it if anything) but if the corset wont fit after I do this then there's no point...

(Ps. for anyone wondering, the price difference is abut $80 dollars )
Lucindra is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
Penlowe

More information will help us help you. We need specifics on the size listed as well as the size you wear (in inches or centimeters, not a random "4 to 6 depending on the store" size).

Answer: possibly, depending on the above.
Unread 10-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
lemuries

When you put it on, how much gap is there in the opening? To accurately size up a corset, it is best to take the number of inches you need to add, divide by the number of vertical seams, and add panels of that width (plus seam allowances) to every vertical seam.

If your gap is only an inch or two, you can probably get away with adding a panel in back (although two side panels would be even better). If we're talking six inches, then it's going to sit on you pretty wrong with just a back panel.
lemuries is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
Kelley
Devil of Details

Pictures of the corset itself would really help, as for a reference picture of the costume you're using it for if that applies.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
Lucindra
Lollypop Addict

Of course, my apologies ><;;

http://www.slimlooking.com/Slimming_...m?1=1&CartID=0

That's the corset.. It comes in a size 32, and I'm guessing (by the measurement chart on that site) that I fit a 34.

Weight wise- I fall into the 32 category, but my waist line measures 30"

I'm wondering if there's any way I'd be able to turn the back into lace up (rather than adding a strip of fabric)?

The costume is a monochrome (Black and silver) version of DH : http://diablohq.com/wp-content/uploa...mon-hunter.jpg
Unread 10-18-2013, 04:01 PM   #6
lemuries

Oh, it's all elastic back there... *cringe*.

Theoretically, an awesome sewer would just slice that puppy up the spine, bind off each edge with serging, sew a thick binding cloth over the edge at least an inch deep so you can slide boning within and put grommets for lacing on the other side of the boning from the edge through the binding cloth.

But... it's elastic. That better be pretty sturdy binding cloth (like duck or coutil) if it's going to keep the grommets in place with that elastic squirming around within. Oh, wait, maybe you don't need to bind the elastic within the edge lacing material, you just make sure it's stitched to the edge of the elastic like your life depended on it, then go through making the lacing panels as per a normal corset. I would be a blessing that it's too small, in fact, because the lacing panels would add to the circumference of the finished corset!

Wow, it could be done. To elastic. Wow.
Unread 10-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #7
Lucindra
Lollypop Addict

Yeah... My biggest concern is bunching in the lacing... since it's elastic. *tear* As in- once I cut it and add grommets, lacing it back up will cause it to bunch together at the middle....
Unread 10-18-2013, 04:59 PM   #8
lemuries

That's why you put the boning along the edges. They are rigid and should eliminate bunching... especially if they are sewn into channels in something like duck or coutil which isn't stretchy
Unread 10-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #9
ArelleG

me personally i wouldnt even try to significantly alter a corset in any way that undermines the existing structure. but im not any sort of pro.
ArelleG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #10
Kelley
Devil of Details

While I think it might be possible - especially if bones were added to the areas where it was cut apart (to prevent the "bunching") I would question if this was the best choice for the costume. It's really fake-elasticy and you could probably find something better for the same price or less - even just to buy, and much cheaper if you made it ! There are many patterns out there that would fit the bill, but I understand if time or accommodations would rule that out.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 03:02 PM   #11
lemuries

I agree entirely with Kelley about whether it's possible to go with almost any other corset. This would be a "I can't afford another/I don't have time to get another" last resort for me.
Unread 10-21-2013, 11:53 AM   #12
Lucindra
Lollypop Addict

Timelines honestly suck for this costume... and I don't fancy spending 80 bucks on a leather corset at this point (Nor do I think it'll actually ship in a decent amount of time...)

I'd make one myself... but between all the armor pieces I just don't see how I'll have time ;-;

Thanks for all the advice guys... I guess I'll have to go back to the drawing board for this piece.