Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons

Unread 07-31-2015, 11:58 AM   #46
schmemy
shh-meh-mee

Quote:
Originally Posted by xIkuna View Post
Hey guys! Does anyone have any advice or suggestions for Vidalia's wig/hair? The point is throwing me off =/
Her hair is so super weird haha

I know a lot of people interpret the point on her forehead as bangs, but I like the idea of it being a stylized widow's peak, because it makes the direction of the hair make so much more sense.

I doodled what I think are basically your only two options, where the hair's point of origin is the point of the widow's peak, or the center of the cranium.

If you go with the widow's peak (be prepared for some extra ventilating!) I'd get either the Suzi or Matilda from Arda in ash blonde.

If you go with the idea that her hair does actually have bangs, I'd get a short base wig, style it for the point, and then add in a lot of long wefts for the length.

Next Con: MTAC
Kylo Ren | Rhys | Honey | Ichimatsu

2016 Cons
MTAC | Colossalcon | SDCC | Akaicon | San Japan

schmemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-31-2015, 01:46 PM   #47
xIkuna

Wow, thanks for the pictures! They really helped. I totally agree with you, I absolutely thing it's more of a widows peak, rather than bangs (I do think it would be easier to style that way, too)

This will be a difficult project, if I decide to take it on o_o but thanks! She's totally my fave from the show, so I had to look into it

Cosplays:
Young Ana Amari- Overwatch
Miu Iruma- New Danganronpa Version 3
Sansa Stark- Game of Thrones (Season 7)

xIkuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2015, 09:44 AM   #48
Galaxithea
All Cosplay & No Coswork

Hello again, SU fans! After a bit of thinking I have decided to crossplay as Sapphire instead of Peridot but desperately need a tutorial.
I have no way to buy or sew the dress myself so I've decided to make a makeshift one myself by starting off with a dark blue T-shirt and attaching a bolt of lighter blue cloth to the bottom to make a dress. I also plan to wear it with a blue apron and to make those, um, white shoulder things to the sleeves by sewing on some white cloth and stuffing it. I have no sewing machine and can't even sew 2 napkins together so I figured I'd put it all together with safety pins and hot glue (it was either that or staples) until I can get my hands on a sewing machine. This is an awfully crude plan that may quite literally fall apart so I need advice. Also need to know how to make or buy the gloves.
I need to know how to hold the bangs on my wig over my face while still being able to see clearly. Also need to know if I should apply blue lipstick or just paint over the lips.
Finally I need to know how to make her weapon (hasn't been revealed yet, but is presumably a single blue gauntlet).
Could someone please give or direct me to a suitable tutorial?
Reference images:
Sapphire
Gauntlet (this is actually Ruby's gauntlet and I've assumed Sapphire's is identical except with a blue color scheme)
P.S. Wasn't sure whether to post this in the SU thread or the crossplay thread.
Unread 08-08-2015, 07:44 AM   #49
Lycoris Ousa
sleepy kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scunosi View Post
Sewing spandex/lycra to make your own bodysuit seems difficult from what I've heard, since the fabric is stretchy and you would need either a specialized machine or stitch. If your confident that would be the best way to do it though because I've also heard that painting lycra can be just as hard, with the results usually not being what you want. If you do end up painting it though you should really start with green and paint on the black though. Someone a while ago was trying to paint green on black and it looked terrible as it just needed too much paint to overcome the black.

As for body paint, I worry paint under such a tight suit would get rubbed off really quickly. Unless you go with the fancy stuff (I've heard PAX is very durable) it'll get worn off quickly, turning your skin un-green and your black suit greenish. Also doing practically your full body would take a ton of time in the morning. If it wouldn't make things too hot, I would suggest doing a full green bodysuit for a base, then putting a cut-up black suit on top. You could even stitch the two together at the cut-outs to prevent them from sliding around, but at that point you're practically sewing your own body suit so I'm not sure if you'd want to go that route. I just really don't recommend full-body body painting after the taste of it I got with Amethyst.

As for the fur, whether you make it yourself or just buy a suit I imagine it'd be easy enough to sew it on yourself. Or you could make them as separate anklets/bracelets and collar if that would be easier to keep it separate, and maybe make the suit easier to wash without having fur attached.

You can find tons of performance patterns here. You may want to check out the Sewing forum for more information and similar threads, I know there's tons about body suits and working with spandex.
I plan for the fur to be separate and that I just snap it on. I've sewn stretch fabric before it's a pain (secret is not to stretch the fabric while sewing which is hard) but I wasn't sure if trying to make the body suit two toned or just painting myself green in the certain areas and altering the body suit to show off those areas of the body. I went looking for fabric the other day and I can't seem to find a green that is remotely close to the green I'm wanting. Most of it is bright or neon green. Doing one cut on on top of another would require me to make two body suits XD then I think that would be even hotter. I cosplayed Lambda from Blazblue a while back and boy was that cosplay hot with the then body suit. Hopefully I'll find a green that I like and a paint that can match.

*Con list*
AWA - 2015
Momo Con - 2015
Dragon*Con - 2015
Lycoris Ousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2015, 03:03 PM   #50
CthuluTeaParty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxithea View Post
Hello again, SU fans! After a bit of thinking I have decided to crossplay as Sapphire instead of Peridot but desperately need a tutorial.
I have no way to buy or sew the dress myself so I've decided to make a makeshift one myself by starting off with a dark blue T-shirt and attaching a bolt of lighter blue cloth to the bottom to make a dress. I also plan to wear it with a blue apron and to make those, um, white shoulder things to the sleeves by sewing on some white cloth and stuffing it. I have no sewing machine and can't even sew 2 napkins together so I figured I'd put it all together with safety pins and hot glue (it was either that or staples) until I can get my hands on a sewing machine. This is an awfully crude plan that may quite literally fall apart so I need advice. Also need to know how to make or buy the gloves.
I need to know how to hold the bangs on my wig over my face while still being able to see clearly. Also need to know if I should apply blue lipstick or just paint over the lips.
Finally I need to know how to make her weapon (hasn't been revealed yet, but is presumably a single blue gauntlet).
Could someone please give or direct me to a suitable tutorial?
Reference images:
Sapphire
Gauntlet (this is actually Ruby's gauntlet and I've assumed Sapphire's is identical except with a blue color scheme)
P.S. Wasn't sure whether to post this in the SU thread or the crossplay thread.
Hello! I just recently did Sapphire myself and let me tell you, you might just want to wait until you can buy/sew it yourself. Getting a small cheap or secondhand sewing machine will ultimately ave you a lot of time/money in the long run and you will end up with a cospla you enjoy wearing a lot more. The dress was actually one of my first sewing projects, it's really not as hard as it seems! A tshirt is really not a good base for the top, especially since she's so princessy, it also just doesn't have the structure to support the rest of the dress.

What I did was find a couple of princess costume patterns, one for the dress shape and one for the bodice. And I used http://cosplay.watashidakeni.net/?page_id=1398 this tutorial for the puffed sleeves. Even if you use the pattern THEN hot glue and staple it together, it'll look significantly better. You are also going to want an understructure to hold up the shape of the dress, either a petticoat or a hoopskirt.

For the gloves, i Literally just bought some long costume 'opera' gloves. They have worked exceptionally well. I will get back to you on the bang thing, i still haven't figured it out myself. I just keep it out of my face until someone wants a photo and then brush it over to cover my eyes.

For lipstick, it depends on how you're painting? If you're not paintintg at all, yes. Adding that bit of colour really pays off and will make you appear more feminine. If you are, it's your choice but I would definitely contour around your lips, and then it's just personal preference.

For her glove, I would suggest EVA foam and a sport glove in the right colour. I feel like i've seen sparring gloves that might work?

Hope this helps!
CthuluTeaParty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2015, 11:42 PM   #51
Selence
Selence

I just finished my Rose Quartz cosplay but I still have to fix a feeewww small things before I wear it to a con, lol.
Selence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2016, 09:30 PM   #52
vdaysnowstorm
Sugarless

I've made both of Sapphire's outfits so far. It's a double edged sword... I want her to get a new outfit (but that would probably be due to a poof and don't want that either :P).

Going to wear a RAVE variant of Sapphire and make Lapis for Otakon.
vdaysnowstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2016, 11:33 AM   #53
ebanks90

If anyone needs help finding the perfect shade of body paint for your steven universe character, they have a bunch of matches here

And here is a really easy video on how to apply the paint your body evenly and quickly- use final seal to make it last all day!
ebanks90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2016, 03:45 PM   #54
plushrush

Hey guys, so I'm being Lapis for what I hope will be Awesomecon. However I can't figure out the top for the life of me! http://41.media.tumblr.com/17d62ba25...erjo2_1280.jpg

I'm trying to follow this tutorial, but A) I can't really read it and B) I'm having difficulty figuring it out in my head. I've never drafted my own pattern before, and I could really use some help!
Toon Link (The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker)
Jeff the Killer (Creepypasta)

Cons this year-
Katsucon
Otakon

Upcoming Cosplays:
-Lapis Lazuli (Steven Universe)
-Rouge the Bat? (Sanic)
plushrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2016, 11:26 PM   #55
StarsOfCassiopeia
Engineer at Play

It's sort of a weird pattern-- it looks like they've made what should be darts into seams, and that they're topstitching the darker triangle on top of the lighter piece.
  • Arsene (Persona 5): ??% (---) Katsucon 2018
  • Uniform (Little Witch Academia): 18% (Sewing) ???
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram // YouTube
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2016, 12:33 PM   #56
ebanks90

If anyone needs to find the perfect shade of body paint to match your Steven Universe cosplay you can find it here- https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...42645& type=3

Here is a good Amethyst tutorial on how to cover your whole body in paint really quickly and evenly- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIstCGLSOsE

Great tip on how to make the body paint last a long time- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p98_WrOkUdc

Hope this helps!
ebanks90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2016, 04:05 PM   #57
StarsOfCassiopeia
Engineer at Play

Haven't seen activity in this thread for a while-- who's excited about the Stevenbomb in a few weeks? DD

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...4f&oe=57BF3FBC

(New pics too because why not)
Unread 05-02-2016, 10:52 PM   #58
TunaTetrazzini
Beatbox Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsOfCassiopeia View Post
Haven't seen activity in this thread for a while-- who's excited about the Stevenbomb in a few weeks? DD
I ammmmmmm
I also just started a really quick cracked Lapis cosplay for a photoshoot @ AX! I'll update later when I've finished some stuff. :3
Unread 05-19-2016, 12:18 AM   #59
Miss Mace

After last week, what I want to see is someone do a Watermelon Steven, without it being a disaster of course.

I got to rethink my Rose skirt. I washed it yesterday and found a tear in the sheer fabric, on top of the fact that it's so thin that it's still too purple at the top. I guess I can just get some non-sheer white and a lighter purple and redo the top two tiers as solid colors.
Rose Quartz (band t-shirt)
Green Lantern (OC)

Currently Working On:
Discord (anthro) - Designed, horns started, tail fabrics & wing foam found
6th Doctor (female) - Partially designed
Starfire (the Terrible) - Partially designed

My Etsy Shop: Clever Kraken
Miss Mace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2016, 02:57 PM   #60
StarsOfCassiopeia
Engineer at Play

Oh no, best of luck re-doing it!

As for watermelon Steven... zentai suit with a carefully sculpted piece for the "hair" that's worn underneath?