Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Unread 10-26-2013, 11:15 AM   #1
cowsrcute

Shipping

Hihi,
I wasn't to sure where to post but I see other commissioners posting questions about commissions here and I think this is good idea. Anyways, I have to ship something and although it is light (weighs less than a pound) but really big (27 inx 21 in) and so I just have a few questions. I normally always ship with those USPS flat rate boxes but sometimes I will do UPS when I'm to lazy to walk really far. I'm not sure what will be cheaper to ship with. My own box or a UPS box with UPS service or my own box with UPS service. I don't think UPS has it's own boxes. Not sure though. =T Anyways, thanks!~
cowsrcute is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
Cyanna
Yarrrrn Pirate

Usps Priority Mail does have non-flat rate boxes. I usually ship my own pieces that way and it is aaalmost always cheaper than flat rate for me. You can do USPS first class mail too and you don't need a USPS box for it.

The size of your box and the distsnce it has to go may offset the low weight but I think that would be the case for any carrier.

I've never used UPS. I haven't been in position where it is the most economical option.

If you know the weight, size, and distance, all of these companies should have shipping calculators on their site.

Next conventions: Otakon, Anime Weekend Atlanta
Currently working on (commission): "Companion Cube" [custom] Mabel Pines (Gravity Falls)
Currently working on (personal): Fem!Pacha (The Emperor's New Groove), Spidermom ver. 3 (Homestuck)
Cyanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #3
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Depending on the size, shape, and type of packing material you need to protect it, the price could vary wildly, but by all means use your own box. Flat rate boxes are only cost-effective if you have something that may or may not break the usual straight-up priority weight limit. I've been shipping USPS for 12 years and many a time had the postal clerks help me save shipping money by choosing my own box instead of flat rate based on the weight. Size does matter, though.

Use the calculators on both sites to estimate shipping, but I can almost guarantee you that UPS will cost more. They, and FedEx, specialize in overnight/express shipping over the tried and true postal system, so their rates are significantly higher overall. Even UPS ground will likely cost more than USPS. But I second Cyanna's suggestion of using the shipping calculators on the websites. Input how much you expect it to weigh WITH BOX, and what the dimensions are, and they can tell you what it should cost.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
cowsrcute

Thank you both of you. =D Went to the price calculator. USPS is way cheaper. I'm surprised it's so cheap actually so I hope it is right. Now I should try to always use my own box. lol Where do you guys buy boxes? I'm just using one I got from ordering from amazon.
Unread 10-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #5
Cyanna
Yarrrrn Pirate

USPS provides boxes for free if you order them through their website but they are for USPS use only and also specific to service. All of my USPS boxes are for priority mail whether they are flat-rate or not. I didn't see any specific to first class mail....I ended up buying a pack of boxes from Staples the one time I needed to ship first class.

If you need a few boxes in a size they do not carry, I just buy one at staples. If you need a lot of boxes in a size not found at USPS, then I would order from Uline. The minimum is 25 but the price you pay per box is less than $1.

Currently working on (commission): "Companion Cube" [custom] Mabel Pines (Gravity Falls)
Currently working on (personal): Fem!Pacha (The Emperor's New Groove), Spidermom ver. 3 (Homestuck)
Unread 10-26-2013, 09:32 PM   #6
cowsrcute

Okay, thank you! I had no idea the box was free. Great to know. =) Thank you for all the help. =)
Unread 10-27-2013, 07:56 AM   #7
Cyanna
Yarrrrn Pirate

The Ready to Post boxes they have are not free though. Just needed to clarify that.