Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 11-03-2013, 01:28 AM   #1
axemnas

Exclamation Makeup Prostetics Price???? HELP!!!

Hi, okay so I'm working on making a prosthetic for my costume of the shrouded man from Buffy the Vampire Slayer which will be one of many anyways I'm working on doing a life cast of my head so I have a sort of master mold I know what all i need I was just wondering if anyone knew the best place to buy the supplies in bulk or otherwise. For as low of a price as possible without sacrificing quality. I am on a low tight buget right now and I want this to look good so I could scare my teacher with high quality work and prove I wasn't just goofing off for my project and have someting that would be worthy of a portfolio. I realize that part's up to me but, finding supplies would be helpful and i know a trip to Michaels or Hobby Lobby wouldnt nessisarily be the way to go especially since they've steered me wrong several times this year with school projects. After watching Faceoff on scifi and the Hub's Halloween bash, it's only made me more excited to start my project
So far I found a site called i think monster FX.
Anyways I need this info as soon as possible what I need is pricing on
Alginate
Plaster bandages
Plaster
Alcohol based makeup/ face paint (or whatever would work well with a silicone appliance
Silicone
Plasticine/ a oil based clay that does Not dry out. Stuart Bray (makeup artist for Harry Potter, The Mummy) recommended chavant or Monster but I haven't checked them out
Spirit gum (preferably more than you get at the Halloween store and cheaper than there.
Spirit gum remover

Thanks a whole lot for whatever you can help me with I hope you can get back with me before I order if not well you'll help me for next time I can't say how much I appreciate whatever help you can give me. I will give you a great big giant plate of digital cookies.

░████░░████░
░█░░█░░█░░█░ Put This
░████░░████░ On Your Signature
░█░█░░░█░░░░ If You Role-play
░█░░█░░█░░░░

Last edited by axemnas : 11-03-2013 at 01:02 PM.
axemnas is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-03-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
Kelley
Devil of Details

Do you mean "one of many" as in one of many costumes or that you will need to make multiples of this prosthetic ?

What IS your budget ? I ask, because yes, this can get pricey !

Links to what exactly you need to make ? Reference pictures ? This will help determine how much/what exactly you need.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #3
axemnas

One prostetic is planned. When I said of many I meant appliances for future projects though I was thinking about doing a cast of my hands as well. the pic is the best I can get off the web at the moment till I can get some screencaps from the episode and upload them somewhere.
This prostetic'll be simple especially since it'd be just a little more than a half mask. The FX crew for the show did it pretty much that way to save materials.
My budget is to try and stay under $200 if that's possible. That's one reason why I considered bulk since prices sometimes go down.
As for supplies silicone I'd try to only use once since Bray recommended silicone would be the best product for my purpose(wearing to conventions, school, performances...etc). As for future costumes I'd probably only need to purchase that for as needed unless its cheaper in bulk.
I'm planning to make a full plaster mold of my head though so I only have to sit through the alignate process once and all I'd have to do is start sculpting with the clay when ever I want to make a new prosthetic that and to save on materials in the future.

░████░░████░
░█░░█░░█░░█░ Put This
░█░░█░░█░░░░
Unread 11-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #4
Kelley
Devil of Details

Hmm, I think that's a link to a file on your computer ? You gotta use something like PhotoBucket, Imageshack, or Picasa, et cetera to be able to link to it on the web.

The cast of your whole head will likely be the biggest investment in this. If I were you, I would look at what's offered in kits for that - and if you want to try to cut price Google each item and see if you can find it cheaper. But from what I've seen the kits tend to be decent deals when it comes to a single person (if you had to take casts of like 12 extras different story) - especially if you're buying online since they you don't have to pay separate shipping on a bald cap or two or something else random like that.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 06:36 PM   #5
axemnas

The pic was on the Buffy the Vampire Slayer Wiki http://buffy.wikia.com/wiki/Shrouded_Man
If I can get a hold of the other screenshots I'll post them to photo bucket or whatever.

Alright I'll look into the kit. Is there any site you recommend?

░████░░████░
░█░░█░░█░░█░ Put This
░█░░█░░█░░░░
Unread 11-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #6
wanders_alone

I'm actually kind of in the middle of a similar project. To date I've gotten the following:

This head casting kit:
http://www.shop.brickintheyard.com/H...eadCastKit.htm
I would recommend getting it with the Lifecast 101 dvd when you order unless you're working with someone who has done a head cast before. You might also check around your area and see if there is someone who offers lifecasting services. It can be a little pricier but it will save you the hassel. Me and my husband just tried to do a head cast yesterday and ended up with a seriuos failure during the alginate phase.

I would also recommend Monster clay if you're serious about using silicone. I thought about getting Chevant but I've been hearing a lot of stuff about Chevant NSP causing inhibition with platinum cure silicone lately. You could get away with Van Aken Plastilina which I've found to work pretty well and doesn't cause inhibition. It’s pretty cheap clay though. I've also heard that Prima Plastilina by Sculpture house works but I just didn't like how sticky the texture is.

I would also suggest ordering plaster from The Engineer Guy:
http://www.theengineerguy.com/
The plaster you’ll want is either UltraCal 30 or Hyrdacal. You really don’t want to run plaster of paris for your lifecast because it won’t hold up. You might Google and see if there’s somewhere close by that you can pick up a bag from.

Also, I would highly suggest joining this forum:
http://www.theeffectslab.com/
There’s loads of useful info on what to and not to do when making prosthetics and you can ask questions to make sure you’re on the right track
wanders_alone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #7
detenten

I'll just warn, that silicone is near impossible to paint. You have to use something like Psycho Paint, which is basically dyed silicone. Apparently it's a pill to work with.

Also, silicone makes for heavy and shiny appliances. Most appliances are made of latex-- latex is easier to paint, too.

But for your question on where to order materials, http://www.smooth-on.com/ .
detenten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #8
wanders_alone

There's also this paint system:
http://www.fusefx.ca/

Which is available through The Engineer Guy and appears to be a much better system compared to Smooth-On's. I use a fair amount of Smooth-On's products for the stuff I build but I generally get mine through a distributor for about the same price if not a little cheaper when it comes to shipping. You might want to look into what distributors are in your area.

Overall, platinum cure silicone is rather expensive stuff. Tin cure might appear cheaper but is not skin safe and should not be used for prosthetics.

For latex stuff I would recommend checking out: http://www.monstermakers.com/
They've got a lot of really good stuff.

Also, if your budget for this project is $200 or less you're probably going to be looking at latex.
Unread 11-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #9
axemnas

I originally was planning to use latex but, then I wasn't sure how long it'd last. Is it reusable? That'd probably be cheaper too. Is there a site you'd recommend for latex?

Thanks everyone for responding I'll check out those links

░████░░████░
░█░░█░░█░░█░ Put This
░█░░█░░█░░░░

Last edited by axemnas : 11-04-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Unread 11-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #10
wanders_alone

Latex has a rather low reusability rate but it is more cost effective. Also it is the recommended starting point when getting into prosthetics. Most people start out in latex, unless you have a latex allergy then it's a whole other issue. Platinum cure silicone is temperamental when it comes to inhibition issues. Go check out Monster Makers, they carry almost exclusively latex supplies and they're stuff is pretty good. Latex isn't as temperamental when it comes to what clay you use so you shouldn't have to worry about whether it's sulfur free. However, if you decide that you're going to move into silicone later on you won't be able to use anything that has come in contact with latex. Latex will make platinum cure silicone inhibit. You'll have to get all new stuff to use with the silicone.

Also, if you're serious about getting into prosthetic work you might want to invest in a copy of Todd Debreceni's book Special Makeup Effects for Stage and Screen. I've heard it's got a lot of useful info and be sure to check out http://www.theeffectslab.com/index.html