Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 11-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
KaitenYuki

Question 'Odd' coloured lipstick?

Hey guys :> I was wondering if anyone knew of any places I could get lipstick in colours that aren't meant for everyday wear. Colours like blue, green, white, silver, etc. (If there are any homestuck cosplayer out there, I mean colours like Kanaya's lipstick or Vriska's lipstick.) Thanks in advance~! <3

Unread 11-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #2
usuyukisou

Quite a few brands have artists' shades. I split between Shu Uemura and Illamasqua, since they don't break the bank. I have tried to use eyeshadow on my lips; it wasn't too bad, but I was definitely clumsy, and the result probably would have been better if I'd practised a bit more.
Unread 11-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
Khorrupt

Well, it depends on if you're willing to spend a couple bucks or not: if I'm not mistaken, Lime Crime sells odd colours, like these...

But those can be kind of expensive (about $16 per colour -- maybe a good investment if you're going to be cosplaying that character pretty often.

If I need a weird lipstick colour, I just use lip balm and mix eyeshadow with it, and then bring the eyeshadow pod with me if the colour starts to wear off.

In-progress costumes~
~W.A. Mozart (Mozart l'Opera Rock) - FINISHED
~Blue Beetle (Young Justice) - 45% complete - ON HOLD
~Ryuk (Death Note) - 50% complete
~Elsa (Frozen) - 20% complete
~Elizabethan!TARDIS - 5% complete
~kigurumi!Silkie - commission
Khorrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 11:38 AM   #4
Rinku-chan
Procrastination Time!

You can make lipstick out of crayons and a few other ingredients! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwYibvVBDXs I found this tutorial and have been saving it for when I need to make lipstick for my Vriska cosplay! Hopefully it'll help since now you can get the right color for super cheap and can have an unlimited supply of it.
Kyogre [Battle Armor Gijinka] (Pokemon)
Ranma [Female Version] (Ranma 1/2)
Planned Cosplays:
Too Many to List OTL
Next Convention: Cosplacon 2015 (Possibly)
Rinku-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
KaitenYuki

Thanks everyone! I'll definitely check all of these out!
Unread 11-03-2013, 01:45 PM   #6
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

I use eyeliner. It's easy to get different colored eyeliner. Another option is the Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tars. However I don't know how they compare price wise or performance wise (I haven't tried either) to the Lime Crime lipsticks mentioned above.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #7
anuenue_mirage
Minarai-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySiren View Post
I use eyeliner. It's easy to get different colored eyeliner. Another option is the Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tars. However I don't know how they compare price wise or performance wise (I haven't tried either) to the Lime Crime lipsticks mentioned above.
Lip Tars are designed to be mixable to create custom colors. It takes little more than a dot to completely cover your lips (and it's very opaque) and once it dries it won't budge. They can be drying though, so it's a good idea to also get the clear and use it to prime your lips first.

Planned Cosplay for Nightmare Nights:
Princess Luna gijinka (MLP)

Up for consideration:
White Robed Raven (Teen Titans)
Mion (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni)

The 'Patchwork' girl from "Beautiful People" by Mitsukazu Mihara

Pre-bite Ginger Fitzgerald (Ginger Snaps)
Kimono version of Elsa's ice dress (Frozen)
anuenue_mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #8
Master Null
face ripper supreme

I dunno if you have this where you live, but here there is a place called Ragstack and they tend to have lipstick colors other than reds.

~Crona, Soul Eater
~Mirai, Kyokai no Kanata
~Imp Midna, Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess

Future:
Raven, Teen Titans
Chershire Cat
Celty, Durarara!
Kidagakash, Atlantis

PLANNED CONS:

Uchi-con 2014
Anime Central 2014
Master Null is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 10:41 PM   #9
spookehdoom
Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinku-chan View Post
You can make lipstick out of crayons and a few other ingredients! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwYibvVBDXs I found this tutorial and have been saving it for when I need to make lipstick for my Vriska cosplay! Hopefully it'll help since now you can get the right color for super cheap and can have an unlimited supply of it.
DO NOT DO THIS. CRAYONS ARE FOR YOUR PAPER, NOT YOUR FACE.

MAKEUP FOREVER is a very high end brand for *some* unusual lipsticks. OCC has a stunning range of Lip Tars to mix to create different colors as well as being used on their own (such as the shocking neon blue RX) and Illamasqua's matte lipsticks come in the strangest colors, such as my beloved teal blue Apocalips. Lip Tars only need a TINY bead to cover the lips and you'll have to use a lip brush; these can stain skin like nobody's business and if you use too much, they'll bleed out of your lip line.

A favored technique of beauty bloggers/beauty enthusiasts is to use a CLEAN, UNUSED (or sharpened) eyeliner to line/fill lips for any unusual lipstick colors, because unusual colors can end up being sheer--such as black liner for black lipstick.

Alternative dyes (Manic Panic, Special Effects) are vegetable dyes and stain. They are not water-based. Don't want to see your hair stained later on? Don't do it.
spookehdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #10
redsheep

PORTLAND BLACK LIPSTICK COMPANY.

The lipsticks I have from there are the best lipsticks I own. I use Indigo Bridge for my Aranea and it can look black in pictures, but it's definately blue. This is closer to how it looks in real life. Metallurgy looks like Kanaya, but it's a little dark. They've got silver too.

They go on real smooth and last forever. It's a bitch to get off.

I've heard Ka'Oir is good too, and while their blues are a little light for Serkets, their Envy looks perfect for Kanaya. Kryolan have good Serket blues as well as black and yellow for any genderbent Captors. Expensive though.

Last edited by redsheep : 11-03-2013 at 10:58 PM.
redsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 07:54 AM   #11
anuenue_mirage
Minarai-chan

I love portland black lipstick company too! I've only bought the black and a rosy-gold color (i'm having trouble picking which colors i want next) and they are ridiculously good. Black is a hard lipstick to make well and theirs is by far the best i've had.

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad
anuenue_mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #12
Ani_BEE
Freaky Fabulous!

For monster makeup I use waterproof eyeliner as well. Last all day.

Personally I like the OCC liptars I've been using them for 4 years now. The can last on the lips up to 12 hours easily so long as you don't touch it with food with their matte formula. The metallic ones are really nice looking but the nature of them (textured shimmer or glitter) doesn't last on the lips very long. Around 4-6 hours.

Costume-Con 32
Souryuu ~ Yami no Matsuei
Jack & Red Queen

Anime North
Laplace no Ma
Souryuu/Regina ~ Once Upon a Time
Nehelenia

Future cosplays/cons:
Madeline Hatter Legacy Day
Sakizou Arachne
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
My Wigs • Mascot, Costumes (Humanity has Declined) & D.Gray-man Poker Cards • Zori&Tabi from Japan
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #13
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsheep View Post
PORTLAND BLACK LIPSTICK COMPANY.

The lipsticks I have from there are the best lipsticks I own. I use Indigo Bridge for my Aranea and it can look black in pictures, but it's definately blue. This is closer to how it looks in real life. Metallurgy looks like Kanaya, but it's a little dark. They've got silver too.

They go on real smooth and last forever. It's a bitch to get off.
Oh wow, that looks perfect for my Luna gijinka! Do they have an online shop that ships to Canada?
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #14
Ani_BEE
Freaky Fabulous!

Here is also another company I've bought from in the past.
http://morganascrypt.com/Lipstick/

Costume-Con 32
Souryuu ~ Yami no Matsuei
Jack & Red Queen

Anime North
Laplace no Ma
Souryuu/Regina ~ Once Upon a Time
Nehelenia

Future cosplays/cons:
Madeline Hatter Legacy Day
Sakizou Arachne
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
My Wigs • Mascot, Costumes (Humanity has Declined) & D.Gray-man Poker Cards • Zori&Tabi from Japan
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #15
redsheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
Oh wow, that looks perfect for my Luna gijinka! Do they have an online shop that ships to Canada?
Yep. It's just portlandblacklipstickco.com

They've also got an etsy under the same name.
redsheep is offline   Reply With Quote