Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Video Game Chat

Unread 11-19-2002, 12:10 AM   #1
Minki-The-Monki
Isn't he cute?

Old school RPG?

Who likes those old school RPGs like Crono Trigger, Secret of Mana/Evermore, and Mario RPG? I loved all those games they were great! Don't you all think so too?
Minki-The-Monki is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-19-2002, 12:15 AM   #2
Celine
Remember me?

Some of them are great, but some of them are simply awful. ^^ Secret of Mana will always be one of my favorite games. It was so fun, although you really had to play with one or two other people to get the full experience. I wasted so much time leveling to 99, maxing out my magic and weapon levels. hehe... but of the other three games you listed, I never played Mario RPG, and hated the other two. Yes, I'm one of the five people in the entire world who didn't like Chrono Trigger. I have various reasons, but essentially I just couldn't stand the main characters.
Celine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2002, 12:20 AM   #3
Minki-The-Monki
Isn't he cute?

Celine:

Mario RPG was pretty good. You should try it sometime. Everyone entitled to their own opinion. It's okay that you didnt' like Crono Trigger. I can still be your friend. :P Sercret of Mana was a great game though. Your right it was better played with AT LEAST one other person.
Unread 11-19-2002, 12:26 AM   #4
Bell-chan
Ummm what?

haha I love all of those games!!! <owns Chrono Trigger for PS after playing it at my cousin's house for the first time, my fave. game!! > I am currently still working on Secret of Mana / Evermore. ( I personally like Secret of Mana better ^__^) It's so fun whapping those evil thingies ahaha... SNES was / is so cool....
Bell-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2002, 12:33 AM   #5
Celine
Remember me?

Heh, Minki... I've met people who are *very* defensive about Chrono Trigger. I can't help the fact that I don't like it, and no amount of persuasion will ever convince me that it's a good game. ^^ I just don't want to cause trouble with my opinion.

From that same time frame, there were other excellent games, like Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Final Fantasy 4 & 6, Lunar... Then, some mediocre games like Lufia and Paladin's Quest. And some awful games like Tecmo's Secret of the Stars, 7th Saga, Earthbound, Breath of Fire, Dragon Warrior... Thinking of all these games is great for nostalgia, though. The SNES was the most amazing system ever. It had Super Mario Kart, arguably one of the best games ever (in my opinion, at least XD). And now, you can relive all the magic on the GBA! Yay!

And I'd just like to mention that the #1 awesome weapon of Secret of Mana is totally the whip. :P It's such an underappreciated weapon and yet it's SO useful, if people would only give it a chance.
Celine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2002, 12:34 AM   #6
Minki-The-Monki
Isn't he cute?

Bell-Chan:

Yeah Mana was better then Evermore. My favorite spell in Mana is the level 8 salamando fire ball. It was kool. It's these two dragons sometimes more. That Come out instead of just a fireball. It's awesome.
Unread 11-19-2002, 12:38 AM   #7
Minki-The-Monki
Isn't he cute?

Celine.:

I think I'm gunna cry now. I liked Earthbound, and BOF. But like I said earlier everyones entitled to their own opinion. Yours however is tweaked. No I'm just kidding. At least you are honest. The wrost thing someone can do in my opinion is pretend to like something they don't. Know what I mean? Why pretend you like a game if you don't? It's just a game right? Oh well peopls are weird.
Unread 11-19-2002, 02:56 AM   #8
tydawgsd
Poser Ninja

hmm, I enjoyed the BOF series and 7th saga quite a bit. Nobody mentioned one of my favorite series- The Suikoden series. Those games are all cool. I can't wait for Suikoden 3. Legend of Mana is fun- if you liked that one you definently have to play Seiken Densetsu 3 (Legend of Mana 2- never released in America, but hey that is what emulators are for). I also like Robotrek for the SNES. That is a fun game. Typical RPG for kids- kid finds out about alien invasion from mystic, decide to go defeat it. It was quite easy, but still fun. Also for those of you who like strategy RPGs, I highly suggest Hoshigami. Hardest one I have ever played, creative magi system, interesting ability system. typical characters/story. Still it is fun.
Unread 11-19-2002, 03:02 AM   #9
Bell-chan
Ummm what?

Quote:
Originally posted by Celine
Heh, Minki... I've met people who are *very* defensive about Chrono Trigger. I can't help the fact that I don't like it, and no amount of persuasion will ever convince me that it's a good game. ^^ I just don't want to cause trouble with my opinion.

From that same time frame, there were other excellent games, like Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Final Fantasy 4 & 6, Lunar... Then, some mediocre games like Lufia and Paladin's Quest. And some awful games like Tecmo's Secret of the Stars, 7th Saga, Earthbound, Breath of Fire, Dragon Warrior... Thinking of all these games is great for nostalgia, though. The SNES was the most amazing system ever. It had Super Mario Kart, arguably one of the best games ever (in my opinion, at least XD). And now, you can relive all the magic on the GBA! Yay!

And I'd just like to mention that the #1 awesome weapon of Secret of Mana is totally the whip. :P It's such an underappreciated weapon and yet it's SO useful, if people would only give it a chance.
Oh! I know / play ...umm half of those games! ( Final fantasy 4, 6, Lufia 2, Secret of the Stars, Earthbound, BoF & 2) Super Mario Kart!!!! I loved that game! darn brother....taking advantage of the fact I didn't know how to play back then... >.< It's ok that you don't like Chrono Trigger; everyone has their opinions. (not getting defensive, ne?)
Bell-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2002, 06:29 AM   #10
KaineMaxwell
Don't mess with mutants

I love the old-school rpgs myself!

Shinigami Photos
KaineMaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2002, 07:08 AM   #11
psythe

I like D&D

psythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2002, 08:40 AM   #12
Chimera_Zero

I like D&D also ^^. On a different note, have you ever heard of Big Eyes, Small Mouth? It's pretty good IMHO. It has an easy to use Mecha making system, character generator etc. You should give it a try sometime. The maker is Guardians of Order. You should be able to find it at Gameboard or a store like it.
Chimera_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2002, 09:24 AM   #13
Minki-The-Monki
Isn't he cute?

tydawgsd:

I just started the Suikoden series it pretty kool. I only have one though. I need two, and now three.

KaineMaxwell:

Which ones you like the most talk more give us more to say. :P

Psyth3:

D&D had only one problem when I was playing it. It seemed like oyu spent more time rolling the stupid dice then you did actually seeing what kind of story there was going on. It got kind of annoying.

Chimera_Zero:

What's that? Big eyes small mouth? Hmm. I'll have to go look for that if you say it's good. Might as well not like I have anything to do.
Unread 11-19-2002, 09:33 AM   #14
Babbit_Chan
Sarcasmic

I really *liked* Breath of Fire IV, but haven't played any of the others so I can't say what I completey think of it on a whole. But I've heard there'll be another coming out on ps2?

I didn't like Mana at all, but yes, Mario and the SNES were awesome.
Babbit_Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2002, 09:36 AM   #15
psythe

Quote:
Originally posted by Minki-The-Monki
Psyth3:

D&D had only one problem when I was playing it. It seemed like oyu spent more time rolling the stupid dice then you did actually seeing what kind of story there was going on. It got kind of annoying.
Oh I don't play now ^^v This was pre-console era. After I had the option to have pretty visuals with my RPG's D&D hit the road

I guess barring pen and paper, I'll go with Xenogears, Chrono Cross, and Final Fantasy 7
psythe is offline   Reply With Quote