Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 11-06-2013, 06:27 PM   #1
thelovelysin
Informant

Advice on my Jean Kirschtein makeup

I'm planning on cosplaying Jean from Aot and need some help/critic. I tried to do a makeup test for him earlier and I wasn't fully satisfied with the results, especially with how I went with the eyeliner. I think it looks too girly?

I'm really not sure how to go about doing the eyeliner in a more manly fashion. Any advice?

This is what the character looks like:
http://cdn.myanimelist.net/images/ch.../14/216893.jpg
https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images...a9137dbb6.jpeg

This is me:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...13225676_n.jpg

Yeah, I don't think I was even close...
thelovelysin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
Noize
One Sky, One Destiny

I would suggest styling the wig a bit more- trimming bangs and adding some small spikes. The eyeliner seems a bit too thick so I would suggest when using eyeliner possibly makes it look a bit thinner.

Overall, good progress.
Yusei Fudo [Yu-Gi-Oh! 5Ds]

Dream Cosplays
Chrome Dokuro [Katekyo Hitman REBORN!]
Armin Arlet or Levi [Shingeki no Kyojin]
Rin [Togainu no Chi]
Lucina [Fire Emblem Awakening]
Aqua [Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep]

Noize is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #3
thelovelysin
Informant

Thanks. The wig I'm wearing in the pic won't actually be the wig I'm using for Jean (it's for a different cos), I just wore it to get the feel since it's close in color.
thelovelysin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
ZeRO-LESS-
(눈_눈)

I second thiner eyeliner! Try not to have the wing so long, and maybe make your brows a little thicker, lower, and straighter. Unless those are your real eyebrows...then that might be kinda hard...
Very good so far! ^.^

.:Currently working on:.
Gackpoid (Episode.0) 100%
Ling Tong (Dynasty Warriors 8) 80%

Σ(゚∀´(┗┐ヽ(눈‸눈)ノ
ZeRO-LESS- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
whosgotthekitty

Yes, as far as the eye liner goes, Jean's eye kind of scoops down toward the end on the bottom instead of winging straight up, so maybe draw your bottom liner out a few mm below and past your lash line to better mimic his inverted trapezoid-esqu eye shape? Then fill in your waterline and "new" lower lash line with white eyeliner. o^.^o
whosgotthekitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 06:09 PM   #6
Nova417
I like penguins

I agree with everyone else. c:
Maybe just thinner, and a shorter wing.
It looks great by the by!

2014Cosplays
~ Rover [Gijinka] (Planning)
~ Jack/Mark [Main Chara of HM: A Wonderful Life](Planning)
~ Ayumi Shinozaki [Corpse Party](Planning)

"I really like penguins and cola."
-Nova417
Nova417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 11:59 AM   #7
Starlit Rose
Breaking out of my cage

I don't know what it is about Jean that's so difficult, but my friend, who already has a long face naturally, also struggled to get his makeup right!

You've got some good contouring going on, so you've definitely gotten a good start. I'll reiterate what everyone else said about the eyeliner - try less of it, and instead of winging it out and up, maybe try extending the bottom line out a bit (not a whole lot! just a bit), keeping it mostly straight, and then have the top line curve DOWN to meet it. You'll want to have the bottom line start to straighten out around the middle of your eye. This way, it doesn't deviate from your waterline too much, but still subtracts some of the curve. I realize Jean's eye shape points up at the corners, but I feel like your natural eye shape is curved enough that simply having the bottom (straightened) line meet where the top lid line ends will give you enough curve to still be like Jean's. (I hope this is making sense!) But yeah, you can try that shape idea out and see if you like it. Regardless, I would make the eyeliner less thick all around.

Aside from the eyes, there are a few contouring spots I think you could emphasize more.
1) I see you contoured the sides of your nose bridge, but I think you could stand to do it even more and make your nose look taller. You might've done this and the lighting may be making it hard for me to tell, but I would extend the contouring all the way down to almost your nostril. I wouldn't just stop at the top/round part of the nose.
2) I do not see any contouring under your eyebrow/over your eyelids, so I would try that too. What a lot of people do is start the brush at the inner corner of your eyebrow, then arch it down to the outer corner of the eye. I can't quite explain WHY this helps, but for some reason it helps you look more masculine. XD
3) I think you did a bit of this, but maybe try more of it - Jean has a really long face, so the longer you can make yours look, the better. I would focus the jawline contouring on the area beside your chin where it's no longer the chin, but begins the jawline. Then you'll want to taper the contouring out gradually until you get to the corner of your jaw. So, biggest spot next to your chin, then tapering off until you reach the corner of your jaw. It should give your face a longer v-like look.
4) Also, don't forget to contour the v-shape on your neck as well!

Lastly, I agree on the eyebrows. You should make yours thicker at the base, tapering the thickness until you get to the arch of your eyebrow. I would add the thickness to the bottom side of your eyebrows to help "lower" the brows and thicken them at the same time.

Because I'm really bad at explaining things, I tried adding these make up tricks in Photoshop for you, haha. First one is an exaggeration of the color so you can actually see what I'm talking about; the second is a (hopefully) more realistic version of what it should look like.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...xaggerated.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...eanmakeup2.jpg

I'm not an expert with Photoshop, but I hope it gives you an idea of what I mean at least! Of course, experiment and see what you like the most. When you actually have your Jean wig, that will make a huge difference as well, haha.
Levi - Attack on Titan/Shingeki no Kyojin - 100%
3DM Gear - Attack on Titan/Shingeki no Kyojin - 90% (needs repairs)
Lux (classic skin) - League of Legends - 10%

Facebook || Tumblr
Starlit Rose is offline   Reply With Quote