Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime LA

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-12-2013, 01:09 AM   #1
MagicianCelemis

ALA 2014 Ribbon List + Questions/Help

I'm aware that Anime LA is popularly known for it's "ribbon culture", and after seeing it in action last year at ALA 2013, I'd figured I partake it in!

First, I have some questions for veteran ribbon-givers: Where do you get your ribbons? Can you recommend any websites with good prices for me? How do you design your ribbons?

I'd appreciate your help!

For my reference (and for everybody to use), I'd like to keep track of ALL the ribbons that people are passing out, so I'm willing to compile a "ribbon list"! Just comment below with 1) Your name [username or preferred name], 2) Which character(s) you will be cosplaying as, 3) Fandom/Series/Trivia your ribbon is based on, and OPTIONAL 5) A URL/link to a post/forum concerning your ribbons [i.e. how you'll be passing them out, where to find you]

ALA 2014 Ribbon List

------------------

Ribbon Websites:

http://www.hodgesbadge.com/
http://www.ribbonsgalore.com/custom/flat-ribbons

ALA Chairman Chaz's Ribbon Resources: http://www.boston-baden.com/hazel/Ribbons/faq.htm

*WARNING: If you plan on participating/handing out ribbons for fun, please be cautious of RUDE, DEMANDING AND/OR PERVY attendees who MAY hassle you for your ribbons! Act appropriately, respectively and assertively if you plan to hand out ribbons; there is always the "NO" option! Play it safe, and have fun!

-----------------------------------

[ Special CREDITS to Evil Bishonen for providing information regarding to the ALA ribbons! (And putting up with my non-sense hurhurhur) Please pay him a visit and say hello to him if you ever see him at ALA! ]

Q: What is with Anime LA's "ribbon culture"?

*Seasoned ALA con-goer and panelist Evil Bishonen clarifies that: "The whole ribbon thing is basically a 'Hidden Mickey' kind of deal that makes the convention more fun. You never know where they are, and the search and surprise is part of the ribbon culture."

Ribbons have used at ALA ever since the very first year it started. Some were handed out by staff, and others purchased them for $2 at a ribbon table that was set up in one of the main hallways at the hotel. The ribbon culture gradually become bigger and more popular in each passing year. Originally, they were just a fun thing given out by staff, but now even attendees participate with their own ribbons too.

Q: How do you obtain ribbons?

*NOTE: The actual "ribbon culture" is primarily fan-based and fan-coordinated; most of the participants are not affiliated with the convention. PLEASE be courteous and respectful, as these are normal people who have spent their savings on creating a fun atmosphere at ALA! DO NOT DEMAND OF THEM! Just have fun and enjoy!*

First, ribbons are usually, if not ONLY, passed out by the following:
  • Anime LA staff members (notably the founders/board members of ALA)
  • Participating in the convention's amenities/events (i.e. cosplay chess, masquerade, costume repair station, etc.)
  • Cosplayers who voluntarily give out ribbons [see above for participating cosplayers]

HOW to get ribbons can vary from the one who gives the ribbons. They make the rules, and if you perform them correctly, you will get a ribbon! Popular ribbon-rules may include:
  • "Magic Words" or key phrases
  • Solving puzzles
  • Scavenger-hunting
  • Answering trivia questions
  • Dancing/performing to a song/command
  • Being part of the standard (i.e. the "Jail Bait" ribbon can be obtained by minors from the ALA Front Desk, ONLY if you are 18 years old)

The only way of knowing HOW to get the ribbon is by asking others how they got the ribbon from them!

Hope this helps!

Last edited by MagicianCelemis : 01-06-2014 at 02:52 PM.
MagicianCelemis is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-12-2013, 03:34 AM   #2
Skullflame

Hmm, I'm interested on where people get the ribbons printed as well. I'm looking at http://www.hodgesbadge.com/ at the moment, but am wondering if there's anywhere else for cheaper/reliable.
Skullflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
TishaAlbarn

Wait, bow do you get a ribbon in the first place. Sorry, this will be my first time attending ALA and I'm new to this.
Mega Lucario (Pokémon XY/SSB4) - 100%
Yami Marik (Yu-Gi-Oh!) - 50%
Zen (Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth) - 85%

Conventions I will be attending, so far:
PMX 2014 [Maybe]
ALA 2015 [Definitely]

Live in the LA/SoCal area and want to meet other fellow cosplayers? Then join us: https://m.facebook.com/groups/248400145316182
TishaAlbarn is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 05:11 PM   #4
digitallee
Inland Empire Cosplayer

I will help you all.

This is where I'm ordering mine: http://www.ribbonsgalore.com/custom/flat-ribbons

Here is a list created by Chaz(The guy that runs ALA): http://www.boston-baden.com/hazel/Ribbons/faq.htm

I can't help you on ribbon making and pricing. sorry.

@TishaAlbarn There's a multitude of ways. One of the staffers has a "Magic Word" You have to say to them. Other staffers will give you one for visiting their rooms and doing something specific in there. Many of the cosplayers will have ribbons they will be giving out too. You just have to ask/look/do something to earn them. I plan to give out ribbons too... I just haven't decided on a design.

Last edited by digitallee : 11-12-2013 at 05:15 PM.
digitallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 10:59 PM   #5
MagicianCelemis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TishaAlbarn View Post
Wait, bow do you get a ribbon in the first place. Sorry, this will be my first time attending ALA and I'm new to this.
It's okay! I didn't learn about it until a week before ALA!

I just updated my post, and added some little info about getting ribbons! (I have done research, but I'm a bit too busy to grab the sources)

User digitallee also commented on your post, check out what he said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitallee View Post
I will help you all.

This is where I'm ordering mine: http://www.ribbonsgalore.com/custom/flat-ribbons

Here is a list created by Chaz(The guy that runs ALA): http://www.boston-baden.com/hazel/Ribbons/faq.htm

I can't help you on ribbon making and pricing. sorry.

@TishaAlbarn There's a multitude of ways. One of the staffers has a "Magic Word" You have to say to them. Other staffers will give you one for visiting their rooms and doing something specific in there. Many of the cosplayers will have ribbons they will be giving out too. You just have to ask/look/do something to earn them. I plan to give out ribbons too... I just haven't decided on a design.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!
Oh wow, didn't know Chaz made a list about ribbons! Very useful, I'll see to it!

And it's okay on the ribbon making, I guess it works accordingly to each website! Prices are the big thing though, good think Chaz made that list!

Once you figured out your design, let me know what you're planning! I would totally get that ribbon from you if you plan on making one!

Last edited by Michi : 12-08-2013 at 04:11 PM. Reason: merging a double post
Unread 11-19-2013, 10:10 PM   #6
xokatel
SasuNaruSasu is LOVE

1) My name is Kathryn but you can call me Trip/Shooti or whoever i'm dressed as in cosplay for that day really
2) For day one I will be Trip from Pokemon black and white (blonde hair-orange/yellow jacket and I'll have my snivy backpack with me- the forum icon is pretty much what i'll look like but with all my pokemon badges from unova on) I'll be him til about 6pm Friday Night I'll be dressed as Nora valkyrie from RWBY. Day 2 I'll be dressed as fem! Naruto (so orange dress, black jacket with konoha symbol on the bag, headband whiskers etc). And last day I don't imagine i'll be there many people looking for ribbons, but i'm flying back home later in the afternoon so probably from morning til about 3pm, I'll be dressed as Masako Natsume from Penguindrum.
3) Pokemon Fandom- Handing out "Pokemon Master" ribbons (I have about 60 now so first come first serve though I'll keep some aside if anyone wants some just message me) The task to get this ribbon will be to do voice impressions of pokemon on your team (really can be any game version you prefer but would be cool to hear people try out the new pokemon voices) I'm gonna learn my teams voices as well~

:-)

Last edited by xokatel : 11-19-2013 at 10:13 PM.
xokatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 02:34 PM   #7
Hinska

Ill be handing out ribbons for the first time this year Look for me in a Leather Gantz Cosplay Suit heh ive been going to ALA for 5 years now it seems fun to hand them out look forward to my challenge the ribbon will be worth it <3
Hinska is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 09:42 PM   #8
MagicianCelemis

Quote:
Originally Posted by xokatel View Post
1) My name is Kathryn but you can call me Trip/Shooti or whoever i'm dressed as in cosplay for that day really
2) For day one I will be Trip from Pokemon black and white (blonde hair-orange/yellow jacket and I'll have my snivy backpack with me- the forum icon is pretty much what i'll look like but with all my pokemon badges from unova on) I'll be him til about 6pm Friday Night I'll be dressed as Nora valkyrie from RWBY. Day 2 I'll be dressed as fem! Naruto (so orange dress, black jacket with konoha symbol on the bag, headband whiskers etc). And last day I don't imagine i'll be there many people looking for ribbons, but i'm flying back home later in the afternoon so probably from morning til about 3pm, I'll be dressed as Masako Natsume from Penguindrum.
3) Pokemon Fandom- Handing out "Pokemon Master" ribbons (I have about 60 now so first come first serve though I'll keep some aside if anyone wants some just message me) The task to get this ribbon will be to do voice impressions of pokemon on your team (really can be any game version you prefer but would be cool to hear people try out the new pokemon voices) I'm gonna learn my teams voices as well~

:-)
Thank you! Just added you to the list!

Question: Will you be handing out ribbons ONLY when you're cosplaying as Trip? Or will you be handing them out all 3 days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinska View Post
Ill be handing out ribbons for the first time this year Look for me in a Leather Gantz Cosplay Suit heh ive been going to ALA for 5 years now it seems fun to hand them out look forward to my challenge the ribbon will be worth it <3
Added!

Question: Will you be cosplaying in your Gantz suit all 3 days? If so, that means you'll be handing out ribbons in your Gantz suit, correct?

Last edited by Michi : 12-08-2013 at 04:11 PM. Reason: merging a double post
Unread 11-21-2013, 02:18 AM   #9
LunarMatique
Gundam Meister

My buddy and I will be handing out pokemon-esque ribbons because of the recent release of X and Y.

His cosplays (not sure what days he'll be doing them):
Phillip J. Fry
Elekid
Justin Bieber. Yes. Really.

My cosplays:
Friday - Strider Hiryu from the 2014 Strider
Saturday - Pulsefire Ezreal lvl16
not sure when - Ikki from Amnesia

My badge name: Trevor St. McGoodbody

This is the first time we're actually passing out ribbons, so I hope it'll be fun. Here are the rules we've concocted if anyone's interested in a ribbon. We may act as gym leaders and challenge you to a pokemon battle if you have a 3DS, we may ask some pokemon trivia, or we may negotiate/initiate a trade with you (again, if you have a 3DS, and it has to be reasonable!)

Find us thursday evening/night too! I'll probably run around with my pulsefire cannon and my buddy will be either Fry or Bieber. Looking forward to some epic battles!

Last edited by LunarMatique : 01-04-2014 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Added badge name
LunarMatique is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 03:41 AM   #10
animekrazy123
Kazuki

o0o didn't know about this ribbon culture! how interesting. Thinking of participating somehow if i have the time. =]
[u]
went to PMX 2013
going to ALA 2014
AX 2014
Want to go to Fanime and Comic con
animekrazy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 04:46 PM   #11
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

Hi, as someone who's been attending ALA since the first year, I figured I'd chime in with some info about the ribbon culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicianCelemis View Post
In the days when Anime LA first started (founded in 2005), in the year 2009 one of the Anime LA staff members recommended the use of ribbons to promote attendee participation and the "fan-friendliness" atmosphere of the convention. It was initially inspired by the same ribbon culture practiced in Fanime, another anime convention in San Jose.
Actually, this isn't true. Ribbons have been in use at ALA since the very first year. Some were handed out as a fun thing by staff (everyone who bought a full badge got a "Perfect Attendance" ribbon, I got a "Pretty Boy" ribbon from another staffer, and I think I got a "con suite" ribbon for visiting the con suite). Others could be purchased for $2 at a ribbon table that was set up in one of the main hallways at the hotel. The ribbon thing has gradually become bigger and more popular with each passing year. Originally they were just a fun thing given out by staff, but now even attendees participate with their own ribbons too.

I've gone to Fanime a number of times and have never seen the ribbon thing done there, unless this is something they used to do and then stopped doing it before I ever attended. I'm curious where you got this information, because ALA is the only anime con I've ever seen do the badge ribbon thing. (Occasionally I've seen an ALA staffer give out ribbons at other cons, presumably because they had leftovers.) As I've been aware of it, several traits of ALA actually come from the sci-fi con circuit, including ribbons and the con suite.

Quote:
Q: How do you obtain ribbons?

There are various methods of getting ribbons. First, you can get ribbons from:
  • Anime LA staff members (notably the founders/board members of ALA)
  • Participating in the convention's amenities/workshops/events
  • Cosplayers
I would like to point out that this is not universal. Not every event will hand out ribbons. Some do, and some don't. The events that are put on by the convention usually do, such as cosplay chess, masquerade, costume repair station, etc. The workshops and panels are fan-run though, and not everyone will have ribbons to hand out. I know some of the series-themed fan panels have chosen to include ribbons in the past, though I personally have never given out ribbons at any of my panels. I'd hate for new people to get the wrong idea and expect that they'd get a ribbon at every single panel they go to.

Likewise, not all cosplayers have ribbons to give, and not everyone that hands out ribbons is a cosplayer.

The whole ribbon thing is basically a "Hidden Mickey" kind of deal that makes the convention more fun. You never know where they are, and the search and surprise is part of the ribbon culture.

Here's a few I'm aware of from previous years:
- If you've been to the convention every single year, you can get a "Perfect Attendance" ribbon from the Info Desk.
- Cosplay Repair has given out ribbons to people they help
- Chaz has given out "Shot by a Bear" to people he takes photographs of (not sure whether he still does this)
- A couple of the ALA staffers (Jubei-chan and Matt^2) were giving out ribbons the past couple years if you could answer Tolkien trivia. One of them had Lord of the Rings, and the other had The Hobbit. (Fair warning: their questions are INTENSE.)
- "Jailbait" ribbons for minors. I know I've seen these ribbons around a lot but I can't tell you for sure who was giving them out. I think it was registration.

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.

Last edited by Evil Bishounen : 11-23-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Evil Bishounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 09:15 PM   #12
MagicianCelemis

@Evil Bishounen

Thanks for the input!

//edit

Last edited by MagicianCelemis : 11-23-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Unread 11-24-2013, 05:25 AM   #13
animekrazy123
Kazuki

I just went through all the ribbon shop lists and even though it's my second year to ALA (but the first i'm going to for all 3 days and had no idea about the whole ribbon culture thing), I'm considering getting Loki's Army ribbons to give out because I love Loki!
Anyone know who is the cheapest to buy from?
[u]
went to PMX 2013
going to ALA 2014
AX 2014
Want to go to Fanime and Comic con
animekrazy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #14
MagicianCelemis

Thread has been UPDATED! More info has been added regarding where to buy ribbons, and participant info!

Many thanks to Evil Bishonen for his input, I am whole-heartily in-debt to his vast knowledge! Please visit his websites, and "like" his cosplay, he's truly an awesome person!
Unread 12-04-2013, 09:44 PM   #15
xokatel
SasuNaruSasu is LOVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicianCelemis View Post
Thank you! Just added you to the list!

Question: Will you be handing out ribbons ONLY when you're cosplaying as Trip? Or will you be handing them out all 3 days?
Oh sorry forgot to mention but I will be handing them out all 3 days, feel free to just come up to me and say hi if you want to get yourself a ribbon. I figured since my costume is changing I will have my Snivy backpack with me for all the days as well as a pinkie pie tote so be on the lookout.
xokatel is offline   Reply With Quote