Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime LA

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #31
Ennvui

I'm so glad there's a thread for this, I literally just placed an order for ribbons, and this will be my first time handing them out!

1) Dillon or Peter are both fine
2) Friday: Armin Arlert, Karkat Vantas Saturday: Peter Pan
3) Disney/Peter Pan
4) I will only be handing out "Lost Boy" ribbons on Saturday as Peter Pan (but feel free to say hi on Friday!). I will be handing them out to other Disney cosplayers, but if you're not cosplaying from Disney and recognize me from this thread, just say "I don't want to grow up!" or answer a Peter Pan related trivia question!

My Peter Pan won't be with the traditional blinding green tunic and tights. My tunic will be a toned down color with leaves, and I will be wearing boots.

Unread 12-23-2013, 10:25 PM   #32
animekrazy123
Kazuki

Hello =]
I ordered my ribbons for ALA recently and can't wait to get them.
I have Loki's Army ribbons to give out and I'll be cosplaying Loki from the Avengers when I hand them out. I also have a casual Loki in his prison shirt from Loki 2. It's quite tiresome being in pleather...
I'll just be asking for the army to kneel to their rightful ruler. ehehe
Will be there all 3 days.
[u]
went to PMX 2013
going to ALA 2014
AX 2014
Want to go to Fanime and Comic con

Last edited by animekrazy123 : 12-23-2013 at 10:27 PM. Reason: adding info
animekrazy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2013, 10:43 PM   #33
Ice Fox Keiko
A Sane Fangirl

1) My badge will say 'Ask-The-Sexy-Darcy-Lewis, but I go by Gabby
2) I will be going as a SHIELD version of Darcy Lewis on Friday, Meiko from Vocaloid on Saturday, and possibly Jill Valentine from Resident Evil Nemesis on Sunday
3) The ribbon will be from the Avengers fandom, and I will be giving them to people cosplaying as someone from Avengers (and also if you can answer a super hard trivia question in regards to the Avengers/Marvel fandom.)
I can't wait to see you all there!!!
Look for me as:

DOFP Quicksilver - 100% Completion
Dean Winchester - 100% Completion
Darcy Lewis - 100% Completion
Meiko - 100% Completion
Ice Fox Keiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2013, 12:17 AM   #34
MagicianCelemis

Thumbs up Update 21/27/2013

All users that commented PRIOR to this post have been added/updated to the Ribbon List! Thank you!

BOY that was a lot to work with!! I hope to debut my own ribbons to you all as soon as I finish my cosplay for ALA 2014!! *weeps*
MagicianCelemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #35
KingOfEarth

Just wanted to make a shout out to the Blue Exorcist fans and Pokemon Fans that we will have 2-4 types of ribbons to pass out. Make sure to find Behemouth to get the "Use In Case Of Demonic Possession." As for the Pokemon Ribbon you have to find the yellow Pokemon cosplayer and guess what Pokemon she is. Careful though you only get one try. The ribbon says, "Not Pikachu Dammit!!" In reference to the fact that everyone thinks yellow Pokemon cosplayers are dressed up as pikachu lol

As for finding behemouth here's what I'll be throughout the weekend.
Day 1: Amaimon
Day 2: Steam punk
Day 3: Gamzee.. Maybe..
Oh and my sis will be either in her Pokemon gettup or Kirito from SAO.
KingOfEarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2013, 02:06 PM   #36
Maru-sha
t'is only a scratch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfEarth View Post
Just wanted to make a shout out to the Blue Exorcist fans and Pokemon Fans that we will have 2-4 types of ribbons to pass out. Make sure to find Behemouth to get the "Use In Case Of Demonic Possession." As for the Pokemon Ribbon you have to find the yellow Pokemon cosplayer and guess what Pokemon she is. Careful though you only get one try. The ribbon says, "Not Pikachu Dammit!!" In reference to the fact that everyone thinks yellow Pokemon cosplayers are dressed up as pikachu lol

As for finding behemouth here's what I'll be throughout the weekend.
Day 1: Amaimon
Day 2: Steam punk
Day 3: Gamzee.. Maybe..
Oh and my sis will be either in her Pokemon gettup or Kirito from SAO.
I MUST get that "Not Pikachu Dammit!!" ribbon~!
Even if we have to just trade ribbons!

Anime LA 2014
Naka Kon 2014
Anime Detour 2014
Nebraskon 2014

Current cosplay builds:

HetaStuck - Tumblr
In Process.
Amethyst - Steven Universe
In process.
Maru-sha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #37
animekrazy123
Kazuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Fox Keiko View Post
1) My badge will say 'Ask-The-Sexy-Darcy-Lewis, but I go by Gabby
2) I will be going as a SHIELD version of Darcy Lewis on Friday, Meiko from Vocaloid on Saturday, and possibly Jill Valentine from Resident Evil Nemesis on Sunday
3) The ribbon will be from the Avengers fandom, and I will be giving them to people cosplaying as someone from Avengers (and also if you can answer a super hard trivia question in regards to the Avengers/Marvel fandom.)
YAY more fellow avengeres movie peoples!!!!!!!
[u]
went to PMX 2013
going to ALA 2014
AX 2014
Want to go to Fanime and Comic con
animekrazy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #38
DJ_Sandman

Greetings everyone! I've been attending ALA since its second year and have had a blast collecting as well as giving out badge ribbons over the years. For those atttending ALA for the first time or are just starting out with ribbons I can honestly tell you it's a fun addiction! ^_^

I'll be giving/trading ribbons out again this year and for those that know me I have some pretty funky ribbons in my arsenal including one of the particularly ghostly variety lol So if you see me around the con or at Dance say hello! ^_^
DJ_Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 04:13 PM   #39
KingOfEarth

Sorry Guys but the ribbon's I ordered had to be cancelled ;3; bills came last minute instead of coming last week.
KingOfEarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2013, 01:40 PM   #40
rmtakesover
Pirate Love

I will have 3 ribbons: mlp: mustache, and g&pt. Ribbon trader (only for others who are handing out ribbons and want to trade.)

My boyfriend will have 4 ribbons, 3 homestuck, and also the ribbon trader ones.

My badge says Pinkius Pieicus and be either Pinkie Pie with a party cannon or Trixie in a coat with tails.

My bf will be Doc Scratch.

Pinkie Pie + Cannon+ Gummy(100%)
Rainbow Dash (100%)
Lady Pirate (100%)
Trixie MLP (100%)
Bride Mulan (Commissioned)
Knives Chau (100%)
Pocahontas (50%)
Pin-Up Princess Celestia (100%)

CONS

Anime Los Angeles 2014
WonderCon 2014
Anime Expo 2014
SD ComicCon 2014

Last edited by rmtakesover : 01-06-2014 at 01:00 AM.
rmtakesover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2013, 10:33 PM   #41
Versk

1) I can't remember what I put for my badge name but you can call me Plaid or Alex
2) I'll be cosplaying a very casual but stylish Hange ZoŽ (just jacket, wig, and glasses because lol money;; ) and maybe Adult Bank for a few hours.
3) The ribbons are based on Shingeki no Kyojin. They say "Remember the Kyojins" and to get them you have to tell me the names Hange gave to the two titans the military captured during the Trost attack, Sawney and Bean. Or, you can sing the first opening. Whichever is easier. I only have 50 to hand out, though.

Last edited by Versk : 12-31-2013 at 10:44 PM. Reason: mistype
Versk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2014, 06:50 PM   #42
Ayame Uchiha
...got it memorized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versk View Post
1) I can't remember what I put for my badge name but you can call me Plaid or Alex
2) I'll be cosplaying a very casual but stylish Hange ZoŽ (just jacket, wig, and glasses because lol money;; ) and maybe Adult Bank for a few hours.
3) The ribbons are based on Shingeki no Kyojin. They say "Remember the Kyojins" and to get them you have to tell me the names Hange gave to the two titans the military captured during the Trost attack, Sawney and Bean. Or, you can sing the first opening. Whichever is easier. I only have 50 to hand out, though.
I'll totally trade one of my SnK ribbons for one of yours if I can find you. I'll most likely be cosplaying as either Mikasa or Armin on day 1 and 3 <:

Sakuracon, WA
Fanime, CA
Anime Expo, CA
SDCC, CA

Cosplays

Korra: Legend of Korra book 2
Armin: Attack on Titan (SnK)
Blake Belladona: RWBY
Matoi Ryuko: Kill la Kill
Aoba Seragaki: DRAMAtical Murder
Sailor Flame Princess: Sailor Moon/Adventure time crossover
Nagisa/Fem!Nagisa: Free!

Ayame Uchiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2014, 10:34 PM   #43
MagicianCelemis

Happy New Year 2014! //bump//

All users that commented PRIOR to this post have been added/updated to the Ribbon List! Thank you!

Boy, the New Year is gonna be great with all these ribbons!!
MagicianCelemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2014, 12:14 PM   #44
Hazel Chaz

A couple of additional comments

One situation not previously mentioned: there's a ribbon or two that you can only get if you show up on Day Zero and help with setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullflame View Post
Hmm, I'm interested on where people get the ribbons printed as well. I'm looking at http://www.hodgesbadge.com/ at the moment, but am wondering if there's anywhere else for cheaper/reliable.
Hodges is the biggest custom ribbon supplier in the world. If you want a very large number ribbons (many thousand at a time) they're usually the cheapest.

At the smaller scale most of us are dealing with? It varies widely and wildly.

My website lists 9 different online mail-order companies, they all have different pricing structures and color options. The first one on the list is the one that I use myself.

Quality of adhesive can be an issue -- I'm not happy with Marco's tape. A little water (or perspiration!) can cause the ribbon to let go, and with it all of the other ribbons attached to it.

(Mind you, I'm perfectly happy with Marco's quality of work in other areas. They sold us our reg bags last year and this year.)

http://www.boston-baden.com/hazel/Ribbons/faq.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Bishounen View Post
... ALA is the only anime con I've ever seen do the badge ribbon thing. (Occasionally I've seen an ALA staffer give out ribbons at other cons, presumably because they had leftovers.) As I've been aware of it, several traits of ALA actually come from the sci-fi con circuit, including ribbons and the con suite.
I've seen badge ribbons at other anime conventions. For example one year at Anime Expo, there was a convention-wide tournament going on, and people participating had a special ribbon.

But they're certainly rare.

And yes, like many other things we've been doing for ten years, the fan-run sci-fi conventions have been doing for forty or sixty years.

Quote:
... Likewise, not all cosplayers have ribbons to give, and not everyone that hands out ribbons is a cosplayer.

The whole ribbon thing is basically a "Hidden Mickey" kind of deal that makes the convention more fun. You never know where they are, and the search and surprise is part of the ribbon culture.
What i suggest is, if you see someone with an interesting ribbon, ask them politely where they got it. You might learn something, and you might make a friend.

I know some ribbons are harder than others -- for example, there's one ribbon you only get if you don't have any ribbons yet.

Others are laughably easy. Last year, if you politely asked one particular staffer to sprinkle glitter on you, you could get a GLITTERATI ribbon.

Sometimes I will ask people where they got some of their ribbons (especially if I already know the answer) and if they can recall correctly, I'll give out a special ribbon. Haven't decided which one to use for the purpose this year, though.

Quote:
- Cosplay Repair has given out ribbons to people they help
It should be stated for the record that helping you with your string of ribbons doesn't qualify for a "Saved by the Costume Repair Station" ribbon.

Quote:
- Chaz has given out "Shot by a Bear" to people he takes photographs of (not sure whether he still does this)
Yes, indeed that's true, but it's important to catch me when I'm sitting down and not in the middle of something. If I'm moving at a brisk pace somewhere, or if I'm talking to another convention staffer, it's not polite to interrupt.

My "home base" is the couch just outside the restrooms. Wait for me there, I'll circle 'round sooner or later.

Quote:
- "Jailbait" ribbons for minors. I know I've seen these ribbons around a lot but I can't tell you for sure who was giving them out. I think it was registration.
Information. Registration Dept. does not hand out any ribbons at all, so please don't bother them about it. Any staffers who volunteer at Registration who have purchased their own to hand out, please wait until they are off duty to approach them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maru-sha View Post
Also, how would you all feel about blank ribbons?
Like solid white ribbons?
I plan to give them out and people can doodle chibis on them or make their own little saying, as long as its family friendly.
I'll even bring markers~!
Be advised that the satin acetate material is really hard to work with. Most pens and markers either don't make much of an impression, or they soak in and spread. In my (limited) experience, gel pens seem to work best.
April: Cosplay Sewing Circle (2014-04-15); Anime Conji (starts 2014-04-18)
May: Baycon (starts 2014-05-23)

Last edited by Hazel Chaz : 01-02-2014 at 12:23 PM.
Hazel Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2014, 12:50 PM   #45
Anagon
For Aiur

1) Badge name is Broseidon
2) I will be cosplaying Old Man Simon from Gurren Lagann, and Faust from Guilty Gear
3) I will be giving ribbons to those over the age of 21 who make a toast with me using an alcoholic beverage. I WILL NOT GIVE YOU ALCOHOL IF YOU ARE NOT OF LEGAL DRINKING AGE. the ribbons will say "Dude, when did I get this ribbon?"

Last edited by Anagon : 01-02-2014 at 01:01 PM.
Anagon is offline   Reply With Quote