Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 04-14-2004, 04:09 AM   #1
CosplayerGabi
Shotgun Badass

Black Skin /w oil problems

Over the years I have used my own daily make up for pictures. I just use a thicker layer of foundation.
Even with a clay mask the night before my skin still gets shiny and loses a lot of foundation in about 3 hours. There must be a better way.
I have heard that dermablend is good stuff, but does it work for the super oily? I looked at a few pictures on their site but the black lady was the only one who looked like she was wearing a mask.
Nye, I hear is also good. But does it work for oily?

I need a good foundation that doesn't look fake that will hold up to oily. Anyone have ideas?

On the bright side mom told me that oily skin is a gift as you get older. You get WAY less wrinkles.

Gab

Unread 04-14-2004, 11:45 AM   #2
HuongStar

You do have much fewer wrinkles when you're "blessed" with oily skin. Unfortunately, it makes your cosmetic life difficult in other ways.

What type of skincare products are you using? If you overdose on oil-control products, you will actually overstrip the skin's natural oils and cause an oil rebound. Try an alcohol-free cleanser & toner that will take away all the excess oil. An oil-control moisturizer is very important because your skin will need proper moisture in order to create a smooth base for your foundation and prevent caking later on.

With today's foundation technology, you will never have to add a heavier layer of foundation for even, smooth coverage. These are liquid, moderate-to-full coverage foundations and the keywords here are oil-free, matte or semi-matte.

L'Oreal Mattique ($8.99). Liquid, moderate coverage
Maybelline Shine Free ($8.99). Liquid, moderate coverage
Iman Second-to-None Oil-Free Make-up SPF 8 ($17.50). Liquid, moderate coverage
Maybelline EverFresh Makeup SPF 14 ($7.49). Liquid, moderate to full coverage
Estee Lauder Double Matte SPF 15 ($31.00) Liquid, moderate to full coverage
Ben Nye Matte Foundation ($8.99). Pan creme, full coverage
BeautiControl Color Freeze Liquid Makeup SPF 12 ($20). Liquid, full coverage

Most of these products also have great companion oil-control powders. For touch-ups, use oil-blotting papers to sop up the excess oil and then follow up with powder. Applying powder over the oily spots without blotting it beforehand will create a cakey & ashen appearance.

Ultra-matte foundations may work best for you because they will outlast any other foundation, with no slippage or movement. Unfortunately, most of them go on rather heavy and look masklike, leaving the skin feeling very dry and taut. In order to get this makeup on evenly, you must blend quickly or it will dry in place before you know it, and then it can be difficult to blend further. Ultra-matte foundations have less movement than more emollient foundations, which means eyeshadow and blush have a tendency to stick to them; that can make blending and correcting mistakes a bit irksome.

Be careful when choosing ultra-matte foundation. Even if it is the right color, these foundations can tend to look gray and ashen after being applied to darker skin tones.
Unread 04-14-2004, 03:59 PM   #3
CosplayerGabi
Shotgun Badass

What a selection

Let me extend a most gracious thank you HuongStar.
You gave me a great amount on information. Thank you for looking up all those prices and links. I have a much better selection than I thought. I'm going to look into each one of them.
For so long I have wanted a nice look without looking in the mirror every 30 minutes. I think I might have a chance with this. A lot of the experianced cosplayers around here are great with make up. Now I get to take that step too.

Gab
Unread 04-14-2004, 04:30 PM   #4
Cyber Wolf
Bone Daddy

Also, if you're like and get blemishes easily, there are some creams out there that fight blemish and shine. I think clearasil has a one :3
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2004, 06:45 PM   #5
inertia
are you 'domy?

I'm not black but I have rather oily skin... For cosplay I use a mattifying gel under my foundation. It's clear so it should work with any skin color. There are a few companies that make them -- I've only used Bobbi Brown's Shine Control Face Gel but I'm pretty satisfied with it. You should be able to try on samples of gels at makeup counters to see which (if any) work for you. Oh, I don't know if one can build up a tolerance to this stuff or not, so to be on the safe side I only use it for cosplay or really important events.
inertia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2004, 11:08 PM   #6
archangeli
~ Ich bin da. ~

instead of a clay mask, try a mask using "milk of magnesia" - the same stuff the sell at the drug store. it helps to absorb oil - it's quite awesome.

also, there's an oil-absorbing powder that MAC makes that gets absolutely RAVING reviews everytime i mention it. you dust a bit of it on after you've applied you foundation and it keeps you shine free for the day!
Unread 04-15-2004, 01:37 AM   #7
mikazuki
三日月

Word of warning about the mask made of milk of magnesia.... If you have delicate/sensitive skin it may/will burn. I'm very senesitive to stuff so even toothpaste on my skin (great for shrinking zits) burns my skin if left more then a few minutes.
mikazuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2004, 02:37 AM   #8
Karisu-sama
Cosplay.Mom: "Play nice!"
Board Moderator

I "suffer" from oily skin (though at my still-wrinkle-free age I do NOT consider it suffering anymore!), and the use of powder to "set" a nice thin oil-free foundation helps keep the shine down longer.

(One should wash / clean / blot / de-oil the face first before applying any makeup. The last rinse should be with cold water, to close the skin pores, since more open pores = more oil.)
Karisu-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2004, 04:56 AM   #9
CosplayerGabi
Shotgun Badass

Karisu, I've started to splash my face a few times with cold water after a washing. I do believe I see a difference. I'm not getting an oil slick 15 minutes after I wash my face.

Inertia, I have tried mattifying gel. A friend gave me a sample. Problem is I only used it twice and did not have the chance to experiment and time how long it worked on me. My main problem is my nose and cheeks. Sometimes my chin and forehead get in on it.

I can't wait to dive into really customizing my makeup set. I have to hold off for a little bit longer but I really do need some full coverage matte make up, oil blotter tissues, and matte gel. I may even try some milk of magnesia. I have some around I bet.

Gab